Page 172 of 233 FirstFirst ... 72 122 162167168169170171172173174175176177 182 222 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,440 of 4649
    yeah still didn't say ( webOS or Android )

Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    No you guys misread the article, at least the one I read he said 'and other OS platforms'!

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Wow misleading title...
    ^^^^^^^^^^^
    This
    Big time
    One of these days we will wake up and BAM... there it is. And no one will believe it at this point.
    If you guys would ACTUALLY read the article, you would have clearly read this:

We are at the beginning of a significant change in the industry, and I believe that ultimately open platforms will win out over the type of closed, locked down platform that Apple is trying to create. I am excited about Flash Player 10.1 and Adobe AIR 2.0 and all of the opportunities that they will make available to Flash developers across multiple platforms (desktop, Android, Palm, Windows Phone 7, RIM, etc…).
    How will flash affect battery life? It's already such a resource hog on full computers.
    Maybe I'm asking a dumb question, but this has been bothering me...there's an app in the App Catalog called BigStar.TV that allows you to stream independent films on the Pre...how is it this can be possible when Flash still hasn't been implemented?
    it's not flash based media, nor is youtube, sprintv, break.com and so on
    Quote Originally Posted by maynardblue View Post
    Maybe I'm asking a dumb question, but this has been bothering me...there's an app in the App Catalog called BigStar.TV that allows you to stream independent films on the Pre...how is it this can be possible when Flash still hasn't been implemented?

This is possible because there are websites that stream video that these applications are simply pulling. Best example would be a local Fox station's website that has a 'click to watch live' feed. These particular stations will stream local morning shows and weather (not primetime content). It is these feeds that the apps are grabbing and directing to your phone.

The content that you are seeing is stuff that they app developers don't have to pay for because it is streamed for free and isn't Flash-based content.
    Global Posts
    68 Global Posts
    Is this first half of the calendar or fiscal year? If it's fiscal year we could be off by a couple of months (from June). Does anyone know when Palm's fiscal year starts?
    Quote Originally Posted by thrshr01 View Post
    Is this first half of the calendar or fiscal year? If it's fiscal year we could be off by a couple of months (from June). Does anyone know when Palm's fiscal year starts?
    I'm pretty sure they mean calendar year...

(btw, updated avatar )
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    This is possible because there are websites that stream video that these applications are simply pulling. Best example would be a local Fox station's website that has a 'click to watch live' feed. These particular stations will stream local morning shows and weather (not primetime content). It is these feeds that the apps are grabbing and directing to your phone.

The content that you are seeing is stuff that they app developers don't have to pay for because it is streamed for free and isn't Flash-based content.
    Thanks for that

It's something I'd been wondering about for a while.
    Adobe has already officially commented that Flash should be out in the second half of this year.

As to the argument over Flash or Not (if you're Apple); I'm going to have to side with Apple on this issue. Flash is a resource hog, which will result in significant reductions in battery life. I don't know if Flash 10.1 is going to change that behaviour, however by delaying the release until the latter half of this year is going to put them further behind the adopters of HTML5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnoy View Post
    Adobe has already officially commented that Flash should be out in the second half of this year.

As to the argument over Flash or Not (if you're Apple); I'm going to have to side with Apple on this issue. Flash is a resource hog, which will result in significant reductions in battery life. I don't know if Flash 10.1 is going to change that behaviour, however by delaying the release until the latter half of this year is going to put them further behind the adopters of HTML5.
    That turned out to be a misunderstanding. Flash is still scheduled for first half 2010.
    The fact that Palm, and others, are waiting on Adobe like pathetic puppy dogs begging for a crumb, is all the validation needed for Apple's position. Let's say you finally get Flash. What happens when you decide you want better resource handling and battery life? You wait another two years for Adobe to produce another update.

Right now, Adobe is holding the mobile web hostage. You can make fun of Apple all you want. The fact is you are in the same boat as they are. You have a phone that can't play Flash content. There are only two options available. You can lick Adobe's *****, or kick it. I vote for kicking it.

Remember the JooJoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post
    The fact that Palm, and others, are waiting on Adobe like pathetic puppy dogs begging for a crumb, is all the validation needed for Apple's position. Let's say you finally get Flash. What happens when you decide you want better resource handling and battery life? You wait another two years for Adobe to produce another update.

Right now, Adobe is holding the mobile web hostage. You can make fun of Apple all you want. The fact is you are in the same boat as they are. You have a phone that can't play Flash content. There are only two options available. You can lick Adobe's *****, or kick it. I vote for kicking it.

Remember the JooJoo.
    I still say we're ahead of Apple when it comes to having the whole internet. Due to Apple banishing Flash, websites are in a rush to use HTML5. This is good for us Pre owners because our browser can use HTML5 as well. We can access the same content as the iphone can currently. Flash will just be icing on the cake once it eventually is released. So, in a way, Apple is helping us out indirectly

<--- Papercraft Steve Jobs says "I secretly love you webos guys... Gimme a hug!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I still say we're ahead of Apple when it comes to having the whole internet. Due to Apple banishing Flash, websites are in a rush to use HTML5. This is good for us Pre owners because our browser can use HTML5 as well. We can access the same content as the iphone can currently. Flash will just be icing on the cake once it eventually is released. So, in a way, Apple is helping us out indirectly

<--- Papercraft Steve Jobs says "I secretly love you webos guys... Gimme a hug!"
    That's what Fusion Garage thought. As it happened, Flash turned out to be a liability. No Flash would have been better. With Flash, they got 2.5 hrs. of battery life, the thing gets very hot, and the video stutters. Their solution was to essentially use html5. I suspect Flash just puts you behind the curve rather than ahead of it.

Trying to force Flash on a mobile device is as insane as trying to force a square peg into a round hole. Just get a round peg and be done with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiako View Post
    By the time pre gets flash I will have an Evo
    Same here.
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    Quote Originally Posted by dandbj13 View Post

Remember the JooJoo.
    The simple fact is that at the moment there is a lot of Flash content on the internet and so, to my way of thinking, having Flash on a phone puts it ahead of one without. Not the same boat at all. We have a phone that will be able to play Flash content shortly. (Even if shortly extends a bit, it still beats never.)
    So has it been determined then that Flash actually will reduce battery life substantially? Or is this just speculation based on older versions seen on our computers? Flash will be GPU driven. I don't see any difference between 3D games and Flash then. If people think it eats their battery too fast while web browsing here is a novel idea.. shut it off! Then turn it back on when you want to experience flash content on a website. Really people, I don't think it will be rocket science. I can't see it being hard to put a disable switch patch for a flash plugin.
    ^ i totally agree with you....if it drains your battery faster switch it off