Page 105 of 233 FirstFirst ... 55595100101102103104105106107108109110115155205 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 4649
  1. #2081  
    Quote Originally Posted by AFLORES View Post
    Sprint would be losing money due to kickbacks from game developers (ie. GameLoft. who happens to be a big player).
    This is really beginning to get funny. So tell me, the stories about the oil companies paying the car companies not to develop cars that run on water are true too, right?

    Quote Originally Posted by AFLORES View Post
    As far as The God conveying this information, it is rather a god of different sorts.
    What, Steve Jobs told you?
  2. #2082  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Youtube has nothing to do with any efforts by Sprint, Verizon, or any other carrier. It recognizes the browser, and redirects you. That's because that's what Youtube wanted done. What you're saying would require all of the Flash sites to but the same sort of filter. That's not in their interests.

    You really need to do a little more research before you make such pronouncements.
    More pertinent information will be posted tomorrow. Keep in mind this is not a 'surf patrol/parental filter' by the carrier, it will be directly embedded in the custom plugin built around WebOS.
    Last edited by AFLORES; 02/23/2010 at 04:12 AM.
  3. #2083  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Might would work on the Pixi, but not on the Pre, Pre Plus, or the Pixi Plus. They have WiFi. Sprint can't block traffic that goes over WiFi.

    This is one of the most nonsensical threads I've seen. Sprint and Verizion aren't competing for apps, because they aren't selling them.

    I suspect this thread was started by a disgruntled iPhone user that is is suffering from phone-envy.
    I think the OP was inferring that app developers pay a "kickback" to the carriers so that the carriers block access to certain Flash content so that people would have to buy apps instead.

    However, I could see limiting some sites, say a TV network website that have full TV episodes available, to conserve bandwidth. So not some conspiracy to squeeze money out of customers, just trying to maintain network integrity. WiFi would be fine as you wouldn't be clogging up Sprint's or VZW's network at all.
  4. #2084  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    I think the OP was inferring that app developers pay a "kickback" to the carriers so that the carriers block access to certain Flash content so that people would have to buy apps instead.

    However, I could see limiting some sites, say a TV network website that have full TV episodes available, to conserve bandwidth. So not some conspiracy to squeeze money out of customers, just trying to maintain network integrity. WiFi would be fine as you wouldn't be clogging up Sprint's or VZW's network at all.
    Yes. Exactly..
  5. #2085  
    So, can any of you genius' tell me the rationale Palm may have used to justify releasing a slow, buggy, OS/UI experience only to deliver micro-improvement after micro-improvement but NEVER getting close to the segment leader's experience?

    Also, many here believed Flash to be a foregone conclusion for webOS. Wrong. There's something ugly happening in the back offices folks. Something ain't right with this whole "demo'ing flash for months on a Pre then all of the sudden it's packaged into another mobile OS"

    detroitkruk
  6. #2086  
    my palm pre isn't slow or buggy. it isn't perfect, but im happy with it!
  7. #2087  
    My Palm is perfect!
  8. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #2088  
    My Pre is lovely I just don't understand all the comments about laggy, buggy, etc. I have really had no problems with my pre that I didn't cause. I don't run stock but my wife does and our Pre's are very similar in stability and responsiveness.

    Keep in perspective that Flash is an Adobe product, not a Palm product, and has been delayed for all mobile devices, not just WebOS. Also, Flash is having trouble on other fronts in regards to being a resource hog - specifically applies to Apple and Linux operating systems.
  9. #2089  
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitkruk View Post
    So, can any of you genius' tell me the rationale Palm may have used to justify releasing a slow, buggy, OS/UI experience only to deliver micro-improvement after micro-improvement but NEVER getting close to the segment leader's experience?

    Also, many here believed Flash to be a foregone conclusion for webOS. Wrong. There's something ugly happening in the back offices folks. Something ain't right with this whole "demo'ing flash for months on a Pre then all of the sudden it's packaged into another mobile OS"

    detroitkruk
    First my pre is fine! I have never had any speed issues unless I was running a 3D game and tried to do some stuff. Which was understandable! Second each update has improved performance and overall quality of the device.

    You have to realize that it hasn't even been a year since the pre was released. It takes time to improve an OS its not something you can just get perfect on the first try. Example: Take a look at windows is it perfect? no but microsoft updates it regularly to improve it. Same with linux and the same with a mac

    As for flash, Adobe has been known for being late on release dates and they even said they were going to make flash for other devices other then the pre. Its not some conspiracy from palm and adobe, its just how adobe works!

    -Toaster
  10. #2090  
    wow...just wow...
  11. blu8503's Avatar
    Posts
    130 Posts
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    #2091  
    Quote Originally Posted by detroitkruk View Post
    So, can any of you genius' tell me the rationale Palm may have used to justify releasing a slow, buggy, OS/UI experience only to deliver micro-improvement after micro-improvement but NEVER getting close to the segment leader's experience?

    Also, many here believed Flash to be a foregone conclusion for webOS. Wrong. There's something ugly happening in the back offices folks. Something ain't right with this whole "demo'ing flash for months on a Pre then all of the sudden it's packaged into another mobile OS"

    detroitkruk
    dude what are you talking about!, WebOS is a better experience than anything else on the market, 2nd only maybe to the Iphone. Android sucks in comparison
  12. #2092  
    Quote Originally Posted by AFLORES View Post
    More pertinent information will be posted tomorrow. Keep in mind this is not a 'surf patrol/parental filter' by the carrier, it will be directly embedded in the custom plugin built around WebOS.
    So, I want to be sure I understand. Adobe has partnered with Palm to build the new mobile Flash, and has agreed to have Palm disable it for them.

    And Adobe cooperated in this venture because ... ???

    BTW, this is nothing like the previous example you gave of YouTube. If you're going to come up with off the wall conspiracy theories, you'll further your credibility if you at least remain consistent.
  13. #2093  
    this is how i see it.. with the advent of the smartphone, in particular webos, phone companies are seeing the possibility of the phone replacing laptop computers. sprint for instance makes a fortune off their internet cards for laptops at 60 bucks a pop.. so it is only in the phone companies best interest to limit the function of a phone to keep the laptop viable.
  14. #2094  
    lololololol
    No.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Welcome to open source. Things can get bumpy. Please fasten your seat belts.
    Quote Originally Posted by dianagr View Post
    You can also swipe a counterclockwise semi-circle around the center button to go back. [Do a back gesture]
  15. #2095  
    I would like everyone to know that this thread gives me gas.

    That is all.
  16. #2096  
    Don't know what you are talking about, love my pre.
  17. #2097  
    I am new to Palm, and I love my Pre. BUT, only for the customization I can do. I run Preware and check for updates at least every day. Not that it will change much, but just to see.

    Now with that said, m Pre is a POS. I have 2 or 3 scratches (I think they're scratches) that annoy me every once in a while, I got the white dots near the gesture area, and the thing won't work unless I keep the two slips of paper wedged in to the battery compartment. I have the BestBuy warranty, but I haven't brought myself to terms with parting with my Pre for 2 weeks while they send it out.

    Also, the software side of things. My Pre is slow sometimes. Not always, but maybe 25% I click on things and I don't get instant gratification. Not a big deal, unless I'm trying to dial someone and I keep hitting buttons and nothering happens, then all of a sudden, everything does. that and the crappy touchscreen. I'll get my zoom scale all right, pan to the right location, and then as soon as I let go of the screen, ZOOM! i'm not at the bottom of the page. Grrr..

    BUT I LOVE MY PRE.
  18. JoaoMachado's Avatar
    Posts
    3 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    #2098  
    I completely agree with detroitkruk, I purchased the very first one when it came out where I live, for my wife, and I purchased one for myself two weeks later. I love the user interface, WebOS is the most well designed phone interface, period! The problem is that it is slow...yes slow, answering a phone call takes for ever! Hardware wise it is the same as the iPhone, have you compared the speed between the two, it is rediculous. The lag time between operations on the Palm is ridiculously slow at times. "Too many cards" open when there is only one app running? A co-wroker just got the Nexus one and wow, smooth and snappy..it's a shame but if Palm does not fix this issue, in three months when I am due for my Premier Account upgrade, I will be moving to Android, sadly.
  19. #2099  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    So, I want to be sure I understand. Adobe has partnered with Palm to build the new mobile Flash, and has agreed to have Palm disable it for them.

    And Adobe cooperated in this venture because ... ???

    BTW, this is nothing like the previous example you gave of YouTube. If you're going to come up with off the wall conspiracy theories, you'll further your credibility if you at least remain consistent.
    The YouTube invocation is to shed light that, yes- there can be limitations placed to retain paid content from being utilized for free (streaming music videos).

    Adobe Systems has cooperated due to the incessant nature of providers. This watered-down version is something many people (shareholders, direct project managers) are disenfranchised over.
  20. #2100  
    Quote Originally Posted by JoaoMachado View Post
    I completely agree with detroitkruk, I purchased the very first one when it came out where I live, for my wife, and I purchased one for myself two weeks later. I love the user interface, WebOS is the most well designed phone interface, period! The problem is that it is slow...yes slow, answering a phone call takes for ever! Hardware wise it is the same as the iPhone, have you compared the speed between the two, it is rediculous. The lag time between operations on the Palm is ridiculously slow at times. "Too many cards" open when there is only one app running? A co-wroker just got the Nexus one and wow, smooth and snappy..it's a shame but if Palm does not fix this issue, in three months when I am due for my Premier Account upgrade, I will be moving to Android, sadly.
    yes they have been compared, and there practically identical. iPhone 3GS is only slightly faster.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions