Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    There needs to be an easier way to add something to the calendar. Going to the specific day, then going to the menu, then tapping add appointment is way too cumbersome.
    Do you install patches and homebrew? The "Default to Month View" patch will open the calender in the month view, then just tap the day you want to open it, tap the time you want (on the lefthand column if it's overlapped by an existing event) and start typing the event name. Then tap the (i) on the right if you need to tweak it a little... I really don't find it that big of a deal.
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    I just hope they didn't make a couple of tiny little changes just so they can say 'calendar improvements' in their release notes.
    I don't use gcal...so that doesn't apply to me. I'd rather just have the ability to add a birthday under a contact and have it show up in the calendar like it did on the 755p. And what I meant by the different categories is: on the calendar with my 755p, whenever I added an event, I was able to specify a category for that event so that the event would show up as a different color. For example, I like to play a lot of golf, so anytime I entered a golfing event in my calendar, I would denote it as a golfing event and when I looked at my calendar, the little block of time representing that event would show up green (that's the color I wanted for that "golf category"). I hope I explained it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgerblue View Post
    I don't use gcal...
    whenever I added an event, I was able to specify a category for that event so that the event would show up as a different color. For example, I like to play a lot of golf, so anytime I entered a golfing event in my calendar, I would denote it as a golfing event and when I looked at my calendar, the little block of time representing that event would show up green (that's the color I wanted for that "golf category").
    I get the categories/colours thing, I've used Palm devices for over 10 years now. Too bad you don't use gcal, it's multiple calenders work exactly the same way. You can view them separately on your Pre, select which ones show up in your All calenders view, and assign them colours just like the old categories. Plus you can create calenders on gcal that are imported from external webcal: feeds and the Pre pulls them in too. I've got the lane swim schedule at my local pool and my friend's contintental work week on mine. It makes coordinating things a breeze and I don't have to maintain all that extra calender data myself...

Edit: If my golf buddies also used gcal (never thought to ask them, I will this spring) we could even create a shared calender to put our games on so only one of us would have to enter the data when they book a tee time, and everyone would automatically have it.

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    Do you install patches and homebrew? The "Default to Month View" patch will open the calender in the month view, then just tap the day you want to open it, tap the time you want (on the lefthand column if it's overlapped by an existing event) and start typing the event name. Then tap the (i) on the right if you need to tweak it a little... I really don't find it that big of a deal.
    I use that patch, and it's still too slow. they need to have an "add event" button in the bottom left corner of the app, no matter which view you are in. Compared to the other solutions Palm's method of adding appointments to calendars is orders of magnitude slower.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    It needs to be a heck of a lot faster. Orders of magnitude faster. The Calendar app on the Pre is one of the slowest I have used in years, and it's very frustrating. There needs to be an easier way to add something to the calendar. Going to the specific day, then going to the menu, then tapping add appointment is way too cumbersome. I need to be able to open the app, then press one button to get myself into a new appointment.

Palm has always been known as a great PIM solution, but, I've got to say, I think of all the major smartphone players, Apple, RIM, WinMo, Android, and WebOS, WebOS has by far the worst calendar app of the bunch.
    Really? Besides winmo and rim, what does apple and android have that make them far better?
    I get the categories/colours thing, I've used Palm devices for over 10 years now. Too bad you don't use gcal, it's multiple calenders work exactly the same way. You can view them separately on your Pre, select which ones show up in your All calenders view, and assign them colours just like the old categories. Plus you can create calenders on gcal that are imported from external webcal: feeds and the Pre pulls them in too. I've got the lane swim schedule at my local pool and my friend's contintental work week on mine. It makes coordinating things a breeze and I don't have to maintain all that extra calender data myself...

Edit: If my golf buddies also used gcal (never thought to ask them, I will this spring) we could even create a shared calender to put our games on so only one of us would have to enter the data when they book a tee time, and everyone would automatically have it.
    I see what you're saying....thanks for the info. I just get a little wary about putting all my life events on Google because sooner or later they're going to control all the information and thus...the world. Seems like they have forays into everything: search engines, smartphones, and now building an ultra-high speed network in the US. Whats next? I kid....maybe I'll check out gcal after all.
  8.    #28  
    Biggest changes I'm hoping for is increase in speed, I hate the sluggishness. Also, color coding is very important to me.

ET
    There is a Homebrew app called Quick Event which solves the issues with getting stuff entered into the native calendar quickly. I use it all the time, it's a breeze.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    I would love to see an agenda view with a to do list integrated, just like the old palm software.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    There is a Homebrew app called Quick Event which solves the issues with getting stuff entered into the native calendar quickly. I use it all the time, it's a breeze.
    I had no idea this existed, thanks!

I had no idea this existed, thanks!
    You're welcome, Kevin.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Sad to see they didn't fix the Facebook Timezone issue in 1.4. It makes you wonder if they are even aware of it, seems like an easy fix/workaround.

That said, I am digging all of the other calendar enhancements in 1.4. We're not up to the functionality of the Palm OS calendar application, but were getting there.
    Quote Originally Posted by maskott View Post
    Sad to see they didn't fix the Facebook Timezone issue in 1.4. It makes you wonder if they are even aware of it, seems like an easy fix/workaround.
    I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure that's a Facebook issue, not Palm. Facebook just doesn't have any information about timezones included with any events on there.
    Quote Originally Posted by maskott View Post
    That said, I am digging all of the other calendar enhancements in 1.4. We're not up to the functionality of the Palm OS calendar application, but were getting there.
    What are the other calendar enhancements that they made?
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12