1.    #1  
    Google announced their new social network built in gmail today, called Google Buzz. It doesn't look like they are even planing to make it work with WebOS by the looks of their mobile page. Just look at the chart at the bottom.
    Yeah, pretty sad. I came from a Touch Pro 2 cause WM 6.5 is too clunky/slow. But, it did have better Google Maps than the Pre.

Google is either threatened by WebOS or just not paying any attention until it gets more market share.
    any idea if it works with the iphone user agent patch?
    It's really sad that this service doesn't work on WebOs. I hope that Google gives more importance to the platform, I am hoping to see more location based service apps from Google (latitude, street view, let me dream a little bit and let's hope for google navigation). I love Google and love Palm I hope to make an orgy with them.
    THIS, my friends, is why it SUCKS that Google got into the mobile phone market.

As cool as their phone and Android might be, now they have a vested interest to not support other platforms.

I wish they had stayed an application provider only. Notice how they've managed to **** off Apple too. I hate it when companies that are very good at one thing branch into other areas of business like this. It dilutes their main product and ****es off other companies.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 98GSR View Post
    Yeah, pretty sad. I came from a Touch Pro 2 cause WM 6.5 is too clunky/slow. But, it did have better Google Maps than the Pre.

Google is either threatened by WebOS or just not paying any attention until it gets more market share.
    This announcement today makes me think maybe buying a Palm Pixi a month ago was a mistake. I came from a garbage Samsung Blackjack with WM5.

But I feel like I could do more with it than I can with my pixi. At least I could use the "my maps" I created on google. I may have to upgrade to a different phone so I'm not stuck in the year 2003 as far as google maps is concerned.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post
    THIS, my friends, is why it SUCKS that Google got into the mobile phone market.

As cool as their phone and Android might be, now they have a vested interest to not support other platforms.

I wish they had stayed an application provider only. Notice how they've managed to **** off Apple too. I hate it when companies that are very good at one thing branch into other areas of business like this. It dilutes their main product and ****es off other companies.
    Google Buzz is on all the other mobile platforms, so I disagree with your assertion.
    Global Posts
    260 Global Posts
    I guess they just don't like seeing webos users on their social networks
    If you look at buzz on an iPhone it basically looks and acts exactly like the maps app on webos. I think they aren't announcing it formally because they're not making a full fledged app for it, and instead they're just going to quietly release it to webos phones in the same way they did for the last maps update.
    Google Buzz... what's the point? Seems rather useless and too little too late.
    so does the patch make it work?
    I cannot post links so ill have it spaced out. (Sorry)

Now, I was messing around with my palm pre and firefox last night and this is what I did:

1. I went to http : // whatsmyuseragent . com on my palm pre (Without the iphone spoof) and wrote my default user agent

2. Did it one more time with the spoof turned on (quick install tweak and restarted luna) and again wrote down the user agent.

3. I went to http : // deviceatlas . com/devices and got the iphone default user agent and wrote it down as well

4. Now I used Modify Headers add on https : // addons.mozilla . org/en-US/firefox/addon/967 to emulate the palm pre on my firefox.

This is what I found:

1. With the palm pre user agent I got that annoying try buzz webpage

2. With the quickinstall spoof user agent I got the the check list results

3. Now with the iphone user agent from device atlas i got the check list and when I tried to update google maps I got a message to upgrade to Iphone OS 3.0

4. I went back to device atlas and got a user agent with iphone os 3 listed and tried it out. Guess what, i was able to use Buzz on my computer (The map didnt quite work as I needed google maps 4+ and I dont have it on my pc, but i had the same problem with the latitude website and we all know it works great on the pre with the iphone spoof)

5. Now I modified the first part of the user agent of the quickinstall tweak to have "Mozilla/5.0 (Iphone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us)" listed instead of "Mozilla 5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en)" which the spoof lists. ***I left the rest of the user agent the same***

Again it worked just as before.

What I found out was that google is looking for the iphone to have OS3.0. Now i dont know if Im heading the right way and I hope Jason Robitaille reads this. But what I need is the actual patch itself that i can download and install via quickinstall. I want to modify the patch ever so lightly and try if it works. If it does great, if it doesnt oh well, at least im trying something.

Some one please give me the link to download the iphone user agent spoof patch. I dont want to do it in the tweeks because i cannot modify it to see if it works
    Last edited by Excaliburswrath; 02/11/2010 at 06:01 PM.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Attached is the updated user-agent for buzz. ** As mentioned below my patch makes the Pre appear exactly as an iPhone, so Google Maps will not work in Pre mode **

Install using this zip instead of from here http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...perfectly.html then go to buzz.google.com.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by zonyl; 02/12/2010 at 08:06 AM.
    Don't know if I'll get around to trying it (I have yet to do anything with Buzz on my Gmail account other than enable it and notice an immediate huge increase of 'spam' in Google Reader) or not but I think it's amazing that you two figured this out so quickly and came up with a patch for it!
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    The edited file allows you to use buzz but it screws up the google maps on the palm pre. Im currently waiting for clipcarl's response to this issue
    I actually could use buzz on my pre from the google voice website that google released recently. I was checking my voicemail today and buzz showed up as one of the tabs. And its all there.