Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    Has anyone else experienced a sudden drop in battery percentage out of nowhere?

I'm running WebOS 1.3.5.1 on a Sprint Pre, and my battery life indicator will drop to 0% randomly. This is not a situation of the battery running low and then getting the "will shut off soon" error. Instead, I often see this error when the battery reports about 80-something percent... and then minutes later I will get the warning ringtone and my battery will report 0%. What the...???

Restarting Luna will clear the error, and return me to my previous battery percentage. But it's obviously inconvenient to have to unexpectedly reboot my phone to return to a working state.
    Yes! Thought it was only me losing my mind!! I'm also getting sudden "spikes" in battery usage - it'll sit on my desk at work still be at 50-75% by the end of the day, but will be at 25% before noon on the weekends! Settings aren't changed. Usage about the same. This all started happening after the latest update (1.3.5.1 on Sprint).

WHAT GIVES?!?!? Please help....
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    Me too! Had 98% yesterday and all of a sudden it says 0%, then later on was at 88%. Wonder if an app or patch is causing it? I'm getting a replacement Pre though bc my screen keeps turning on by itself.
    +1 for this. Just had it tell me 0% (warning message plus red empty battery icon in the top) while I was showing photos from that app, then turned the screen off, unlocked it and it went back to 93%.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrischampion View Post
    +1 for this. Just had it tell me 0% (warning message plus red empty battery icon in the top) while I was showing photos from that app, then turned the screen off, unlocked it and it went back to 93%.
    Can very well be a faulty batch of batteries..... go to a store and see if you can get 'em swapped...
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    yes.. me too! mine typically doesn't do it until it gets into the 29-20% range. it will say 25% and all the sudden be on the red screen saying 0% and will shut down immediately... does this almost daily since the last update.
    same here my battery drop from 100% to 57% in just 2.5hrs and just on standby (no use) with wifi off & no cards open also the other day it droped from 20% to 0% within a few mins.

only the last few days it seems to be getting really bad (using the oem battery & 1.352)
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I just experienced this today, I'm wondering if it has anything to do with a patch? I just applied "repeated notifications" "repeated emails" and "enable led notifications" yesterday and had it on the changer all night.
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    I was having the same problem. I heard that it might be related to the "No Auto-off when charging" and uninstalled that patch (it was the old one, not the new one). I still had battery problems. But then I checked the Turn Off After setting it was at something like 8000 minutes. I changed it back to 3 min. and my battery is fine. No excessive drain. Don't know if this is the same problem for everyone, but it seemed to fix my problem.
    I also had this today... odd
    It happens to me about once a week and is easily fixed by rebooting. I do not have any patches installed.
    Wow - me too! Has happened twice. Battery was about 80% then out of nowhere it says really low like 6%. Once I did luna restart, another I turned off screen then opened battery compartment and pressed (thinking prehaps poor contact). Both times battery returned to correct higher reading, so not sure what cause is.
    Mytether: [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    I've had a few times where the battery reading went from 80%+ down to 10% or less almost instantly. I found that if I just tap on the device menu, when it opens and then closes, the battery reading goes back to normal.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    this happened to me today at while shopping at Target. It had just come out of charge mode 20 minutes prior and while i was browsing while shopping, somewhere around 95% charge, suddenly a notice appeared that said ' ... your device is about to shutdown ...'

I restarted and was back to ~90%

wierd - but the first thing I could think of was 'hmm i'll have to report this to that thread I saw on PC

I had Wifi enabled, but not associated, I disable Wifi first but to no effect. In addition, I also checked for updates before restarting.
    Very interesting. Have had same pre since launch day. Today, low battery warning came on so I plugged phone into car charger. A few minutes later noticed battery was near 89%. No way it charged that quickly?!
    Global Posts
    225 Global Posts
    Sudden increase in battery life!! As I mentioned before, I deleted the "No Auto-off When Charging" patch and reset the Auto-off setting to 3 min. and the battery drain of about 15% per hour went down to under 10%. A couple of days ago, the drain dropped to under 2% when idle and, with average use, is lasting more than 24 hours. The only other change I made is to add the Reboot Scheduler and have it reboot every night at 3:30 AM. I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but I am very happy.
    I had this happen to me yesterday when all of a sudden it was dead with a giant battery on the screen.
    And i dont have the "No Auto-off When Charging" patch installed.
    When i tried to turn in back on i got nothing untill i let it charge for five minutes and the it restarted.
    Last edited by Knight77; 02/15/2010 at 10:54 AM.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Whenever I had the occasional and odd sudden rapid battery drainage, I restarted the phone and that seemed to put the phone back on track for battery consumption.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knight77 View Post
    I had this happen to me yesterday when all of a sudden it was dead with a giant battery on the screen.
    had the same thing happen to me today. i woke up this morning & the pre was dead, completely dead. was at 90%+ when I went to sleep. i do have a 1400 mah amzer battery that's worked fine for ~2 weeks until this morning
    Last edited by streetskooler; 02/15/2010 at 11:31 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast