Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    So, I have killed updates on my pre and am still on WebOS 1.2.1 and I'm using MyThether for wifi tethering. I really NEED wifi tethering...well more like its my favorite app/feature on my Pre and I'm not willing to give it up.

    So, what are my options? I know I could stay where I am but I want all the new featu3es that will soon be out on 1.4. So should I stick with MyTether and deal with the patch/unpactch BS? Or are there other options now? I'll admit...I'm behind and dont really know what my options are\...
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
  2. #2  
    Read through this thread. Works perfectly for me.

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...print-pre.html
  3.    #3  
    Thanks...but does this allow FREE wifi tethering like MyTether? Will Sprint know?
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
  4. kd0axs's Avatar
    Posts
    282 Posts
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    #4  
    Do you have the donor version of My Tether? If so, there is a new version in beta that does not require patching. If you want to try it, see the thread in the donor forum on the My Tether site.
  5.    #5  
    I'm a paid/donor. Does that mean I simply install the new version or do I need to install MHS first? Anyoen got good step by step instruction on installing the new version? I'm currently on WebOS 1.2.1 and have auto patching disabled.
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by StormChaser View Post
    Thanks...but does this allow FREE wifi tethering like MyTether? Will Sprint know?
    Mobile Hot Spot is the program used to tether on Verizon's Pre Plus, It is better then mytether. Tethering uses your device data connection so as long as you dont use tons of data at once Sprint wont really care.

    Just download the following and install with QuickInstall.

    auto-enable-ip-forwarding-mobile-hotspot-auto-enable-ip-forwarding-mobile-hotspot.patch
    us.ryanhope.freetetherd_0.0.3_armv7.ipk
    com.palm.app.mobilehotspot_1.0.3_all.ipk
  7. #7  
    My Tether is a fantasic app.....I use it instead of a Sprint mobile wireless card.
  8. MCompeau's Avatar
    Posts
    28 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterFrisby View Post
    Mobile Hot Spot is the program used to tether on Verizon's Pre Plus, It is better then mytether. Tethering uses your device data connection so as long as you dont use tons of data at once Sprint wont really care.

    Just download the following and install with QuickInstall.

    etc...
    So, with QuickInstall being utilized is this really all there is to this? I've been doing reading, and must admit that though I have QuickInstall on my laptop and have used it many times, I don't yet have a clue what PreWare is, and don't understand the multiple references I find to it... and no one ever seems to really take the time to explain things on the 'explanation sites' so I feel a bit like I'm wandering into a room where the light is on only 40% of the time and I have to feel my way the other 60% of the time. it's a bit frustrating for those of us who don't speak 'vi' nor 'grep' for fun. It would seem that getting some of this more practical stuff routinized so that less techie folks could figure out the steps without spending a week learning lingo would go a long way to helping out. LOL

    Thanks in advance, if anyone can help newbies out with a link that we don't seem to be able to trip across in the dark.

    MC
    __
    Michael Compeau
    Red Zen Marketing . posterous . com
  9. #9  
    Works great! Thanks! I don't see Freetether on the phone though. On some other threads that I read sounds like you can make some adjustments to the settings.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by golfingfool View Post
    Works great! Thanks! I don't see Freetether on the phone though. On some other threads that I read sounds like you can make some adjustments to the settings.
    That is because with Jason's auto ip forwarding patch there is no need for the freetether application just freetehterD which is the linux daemon, If you would also like to install freetether application download it here.

    us.ryanhope.wircd_0.0.4_armv7.ipk
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by MCompeau View Post
    So, with QuickInstall being utilized is this really all there is to this? I've been doing reading, and must admit that though I have QuickInstall on my laptop and have used it many times, I don't yet have a clue what PreWare is, and don't understand the multiple references I find to it... and no one ever seems to really take the time to explain things on the 'explanation sites' so I feel a bit like I'm wandering into a room where the light is on only 40% of the time and I have to feel my way the other 60% of the time. it's a bit frustrating for those of us who don't speak 'vi' nor 'grep' for fun. It would seem that getting some of this more practical stuff routinized so that less techie folks could figure out the steps without spending a week learning lingo would go a long way to helping out. LOL

    Thanks in advance, if anyone can help newbies out with a link that we don't seem to be able to trip across in the dark.

    MC
    Preware is an application created for webOS phones.

    Here is an article that should help you understand more about it and how to install it. http://www.precentral.net/getting-started-preware
  12.    #12  
    OK, being that I'm somewhat new at installing apps that require anything more than a simple install...can someone post a step-by-step guide to installing and setting it up? I really want to enable updates and get off WebOS 1.2.1 but also really need wifi tethering (until April it is my only internet access).
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
  13. #13  
    1. upgrade webos to 1.3.5.1
    2. turn on dev mode by typing in "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart"
    3. run mytether.exe app

    reboot
  14.    #14  
    I thought you had to so some wierd stuff like download and install a hacked version of the hotspot app from Verizon and some other stuff? Is it really as simple as running the mytether installer? I want the new version that does NOT require patch/unpatch to keep it from breaking the camera...
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by StormChaser View Post
    I thought you had to so some wierd stuff like download and install a hacked version of the hotspot app from Verizon and some other stuff? Is it really as simple as running the mytether installer? I want the new version that does NOT require patch/unpatch to keep it from breaking the camera...
    With the all the posts I've seen of yours on the MyTether forum I can't believe you still don't get it that the new version doesn't exist yet and is still in beta. Look, these free tethering enablers are all hacks that the carrier doesn't want you to have. It's never going to be easy. You're going to have to take it upon yourself to learn some things.
  16.    #16  
    Actually, it looks like it IS easy...

    1) download the new WebOS Doctor program for version 1.3.5.1 from Palm
    2) back up all your contacts to Google Contacts. back up your pictures with "USB Drive" to your computer
    3) now that you are backed up, use webos doctor to reset/restore your pre and update you to 1.3.5.1 (you have to have it to have the hotspot stuff this version of myTether uses)
    4) restore your phone, login to Palm, download settings/contacts/programs
    5) turn on developer mode (konami code)
    6) install WebOS Quick Install (download from precentral forums) which will also install the novacomm drivers
    7) use webos quick install's terminal to run the command on the top of page 3

    wget -qO- [mytether.net] | /bin/sh

    read the output info, if it seems like it installed everything, good. if not, run command again.

    you now have now installed mytether, congratulations

    8) also, install package service and Preware, and use WebOS QI to squarify corners (my preference) and spoof iphone
    9) use preware to patch the ***** out of your phone, making it work better and more efficiently (and more pretty too)
    10) ????
    11) PROFIT!!!!!!
    12) buy NFSU from app store, install, play
    13) buy an extended life battery and screen protector from Precentral
    Dave
    Sprint Pre User Who LOVED his Pre but left for a more supported phone (EVO Shift)...maybe one day Sprint & HP will see the light and bring us a great 4g capable Pre replacement!

Posting Permissions