1.    #1  
    As you can see in this picture the problem with the existing virtual keyboard is that it covers half of the screen - most importantly in the messaging app, the virtual keyboard actually covers up the text you're writing so you can't read what you've written. You can move the keyboard up and down the page but it's not an elegant solution and it's hard to type on the top of the screen. In this example there is no way to select an area covered by the keyboard:

The solution is already built into WebOS - and Palm already uses it in other areas. As an example, here's me typing in an IRC chat window. A call comes in and the IRC window is dynamically resized (not squashed) to the top of the screen. I can still interact with it, scroll up and down and type, or I can choose to pick up or reject the call:

The official keyboard would work exactly like this - it would resize your messaging app (or your browser, etc) to the top of the screen so that you could still see everything, and the keyboard would pop up in the bottom half of the screen, rather than covering up what you're already doing.

And of course it would have full functioning error correction (something the homebrew patch had before Palm broke the functionality with an update).

I really think a virtual keyboard will come (eventually), because I believe that Palm need to create a 'slab' device like the iPhone or the HTC HD2 to win over Europe. I don't think it'll be any time soon, but I think it's coming.

What do you think?
    Last edited by SqyArc; 04/21/2010 at 06:31 AM.
    I think your absolutely right, thats how it should function. I tried the VKB a couple of months ago and it was clear it wasn't for me within the first few minutes of using it. This would greatly improve how it works. Although I like the Hardware keyboard, and I like sliders so it's not so important to me, but very important to alot of folks.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I've often thought of that exact same thing. I think when ever the virtual keyboard could be used, a symbol would show in the notification area and then you click and PRESTO! Keyboard. Other options would be in the top bar or double tap gesture area or something. I like you're thinking and maybe someone at WebOS internals can utilize this.
    yes. this would be great. Remember Mini Keyboard? http://www.animatorsoft.com/mini-kbd/index.html
    This was a great product for the Palm TX. I could type so fast with it. All you needed to do is either tap and swipe a certain part of the screen, then it would take you to another page, you type hit ok and your message was automatically pasted where you left off.

It worked anywhere there was a blinking curser. Even in the browser.
    That's how it works in Android. When you use the QWERTY keyboard in portrait mode, the messaging window is automatically resized to fit both on screen.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by drewsg View Post
    That's how it works in Android. When you use the QWERTY keyboard in portrait mode, the messaging window is automatically resized to fit both on screen.
    I can see what you're getting at, (and the overall result is the same) but it's actually quite a different mechanism - on the Pre, the application window itself is dynamically resized depending on how much screen space has been encroached on - in other words you can think of it like a split screen, showing two separate entities.

In Android, the keyboard overlays, or covers the bottom half of the screen and the text entry field is moved up to to the middle of the screen.

While it pretty much achieves the same result for the purposes of an on-screen keyboard, WebOS's implementation is much more elegant and more powerful (in areas other than virtual keyboards).
    Fantastic idea, I've had thoughts of it being like that a few times before, I think it'd be very useful and intuitive, perhaps a developer can shed light on whether this is possible?
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Genius! The OP's idea should definitely come to fruition!
    Developers, get to it! Seriously, I was gonna suggest this same thing in the VKB thread but never got around to it. Not sure how it'd work with with Uni-Search, an 'official' way to open the VKB probably wouldn't be a double tap to the gesture bar.
    Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    my thinking for the virtual keyboard has been that we need it for landscape mode more than portrait we have a physical keyboard for portrait mode so if it could be incorporated into maybe using the double gesture tap to bring it up in landscape for web pages and maybe the landscape patches for email and messaging but to shrink the screen as opposed to rendering the keyboard over the existing screen is much better
    Yes, the OP suggestion is spot on and this is precisely why I do not use the current VKB.

Someone mentioned that this is how it works on Android...and that is not entirely true. I also use an HTC Hero and in some apps (like messaging) it does work like this, but not in other places (like when setting up an email account). But luckily you can push the hard "Menu" button and minimize the VKB.

Hopefully Palm or the WebOS Internals team can enable the OP's type interface into the WebOS VKB.
    this would be awesome
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

I agree, the VKP is really a must for landscape mode. I'm still not sure why Palm has not adopted this. I know some people who liked the Pre Plus, but went with a Droid simply because of the VKP for landscape typing.

The word seeker and the fact that the letter pops up when you press are really nice as you can visually see if you've made a typing error as you hit the key and don't have to take your eye off to see what you've typed.

Anyone try the VKP (there are two in the apps catalog) which are not integrated into the Pre, but that you then need to send what you've typed to the email or SMS program?
    Global Posts
    175 Global Posts
    I would love a high-quality VKB for the Pre! Something like the Hero's would be awesome. Great auto-correction, and it works well in portrait and landscape.
    This has been on my todo list since the beginning. One of the main reasons that I never explored it in more detail was that landscape mode did not have notifications abilities. Now that it does, I plan on going back when I get a chance and trying to integrate it. I can't promise anything as I haven't even begun to the look at the code and there are still other projects that need attention. But yes, that is absolutely the ideal place for it.

-Eric G

WebOS Internals Developer.
    Follow me on Twitter for updates to my projects: | Virtual Keyboard | wIRC | SuperTux | AUPT | KeyBoss | freeTether |

Donate
    Tealspeed does a great job of using the notifications area in their app. Maybe an idea can come from there.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by egaudet View Post
    This has been on my todo list since the beginning. One of the main reasons that I never explored it in more detail was that landscape mode did not have notifications abilities. Now that it does, I plan on going back when I get a chance and trying to integrate it. I can't promise anything as I haven't even begun to the look at the code and there are still other projects that need attention. But yes, that is absolutely the ideal place for it.
    So, ah, egaudet: how's things
    Yea, I'm posting in a 2 month old thread, but whatever. The keyboard should popup when you can enter text in an area and stay in the dashboard until dismissed (either auto-dismissed or when you dismiss it). Just like the notifications you should be able to dismiss the keyboard or minimize it if you need to scroll up to see.

Also for universal search, just do away with the gesture in card view with the launcher popup, and make the keyboard popup.