1.    #1  
    Bear with me guys, I know this is a long post.

We're getting to that tricky adolescent stage in the life of WebOS where the core system is pretty much there. It's matured but it's still technically a child, and the changes that happen during the next few years of its life are what's going to shape its future.

We're at a point where the developers at Palm have a complete, working operating system with plenty of bells and whistles (GPU, Flash plugin, PDK, video editing) - so the problem that arises is where to go next. The answer of course is to keep on adding features - WebOS is a platform that will transcend the Pre or the Pixi and therefore it must continue to grow and innovate, or else become stale and die.

So what should they add? The answer is not 'everything', and here's why. I see plenty of people making feature requests and wishlists at Precentral - and I usually find myself skimming through them thinking to myself 'blah blah... don't need this... don't want that' - take voice activation for example - I have never, and definitely will never choose to control my phone by voice activation - although I can see why this is a 'must have' feature for other people, it just means additional modules, software and menu items that I will never need or use - in other words, to me, it's just bloatware slowing up my device.

There's plenty of other examples of features that some of us crave and some of us never want to see (for example an 'official' virtual keyboard) - Palm runs the risk of ending up with a heavy platform that does 'everything' instead of a streamlined, efficient OS that does what the individual user needs it to do.

An easy comparison to make (if you're technically inclined) is that of a default Windows Vista installation versus a custom, user compiled installation of Gentoo Linux - two very capable platforms that are able to perform identical functions at very different levels of efficiency.

What I propose, what I want to see, is a system whereby we can choose (via installation packages available in the app catalog) which modules and which software and what functionality we want in our individual devices - Palm is already half way there with their Flash implementation in WebOS 1.4 - it's not built in to the OS, it's a plugin that you can choose to download if you want to.

Precentral and the homebrew community already offer precisely this in the excellent library of patches that they offer - so that no two WebOS devices are ever the same.

If Palm could use the PDK to continue to expand the WebOS platform so that users can choose to install video editing, or voice activation, or bluetooth support - rather than building it into the system by default, then we will have the makings of a truly awesome mobile operating system - the technology is all there, it's already built in Linux and the developing process is already modular - so, Palm if you're listening this is the future of mobile platforms, and this is what will allow people to still run the latest version of WebOS on their ancient, old Palm Pre in 2020.

Thoughts, comments, flames all welcome
    Amen! I prefer the modular OS as appose to the big bulky "everything" OS. The first thing I do when I get a new computer is delete all the crap (what I consider crap) to leave only what I think is necessary. Preware is a god sent...they have created an OS for everyone without imposing it on everyone. I like getting a skeleton with only the bare essentials, and building it up with only the stuff I want!
    Is adding increased functionality going to slow the device down?
    I wish that palm would release features in much the same way as preware. You get to pick and choose what features you want on your phone. Obviously core functionality would be mandatory, but stuff like the size of icons on the launcher page, LED notifications, and voice activation are extra features that individual users may or may not want.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    I was scrolling down to add just that UntidyGuy! Can you imagine a situation where there are all these add on modules, and in order to make a particular app work, you have to have some but not all of the modules, and for another app, perhaps a different set of modules? Run developers run away, they will for sure, I think.
    Sprint since 01/06/99: Sanyo SCP-4500 -> Audiovox PPC-6700 -> Palm Treo 755p -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre 1.4.5 -> Jailbroken iPhone 4s
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Yeah, that's what we need. Plugins and drivers for phones. There's nothing like installing a program or device on a PC and having to search around on the web for a specific driver and keeping them up to date. "Requires Direct X8 or higher"

Developers will run away from a platform that introduces compatibility tech support issues for a $4.99 app. The difference between a Pre, Pre Plus, Pixi, and Pixi Plus is bad enough. The WebOS ecosystem is not nearly big enough to support this kind of differentiation. Just the idea that an end-user will have to have an installation package to buy your app is a big turn-off.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdod View Post
    I was scrolling down to add just that UntidyGuy! Can you imagine a situation where there are all these add on modules, and in order to make a particular app work, you have to have some but not all of the modules, and for another app, perhaps a different set of modules? Run developers run away, they will for sure, I think.
    Well, you guys have got a point, I mean nobody develops for Windows, OSX, Linux, Solaris or Unix do they?

The way it would work is exactly the same as Preware - when you want to install a package that has a dependency the package manager just installs both packages. It's pretty seamless.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Well, you guys have got a point, I mean nobody develops for Windows, OSX, Linux, Solaris or Unix do they?

The way it would work is exactly the same as Preware - when you want to install a package that has a dependency the package manager just installs both packages. It's pretty seamless.
    I agree. Thinking that developers would run away is nonsense. I can't think of a time i've ever said to myself, 'Self, i really want this program but i just don't want it to automatically install flash (or java, or whatever) in order for it to work.'

Let's be honest, if for some reason you don't want the module required, you're probably not going to want the app that requires it anyway...
    Sounds good to me that you could have the option to have a super feature phone or something clean and simple.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    I'm in agreeance with the op. An official preware "patch" store would be good for the platform as a whole. In it's unofficial state it doesn't prevent any of my apps from working properly and I can't see it doing so if it was sanctioned by palm.

I've started a topic before about how palm should legitimize preware. It would be a big feature and advantge over other platforms that you can custom tailor you device. I'm a big advocate of preware and if it were as easy as downloading it from the app catalogue it would be a huge killer featue that the less tech savy could take full use of.
    Well my chics moment is loaded with all the bells and whistles, and it doesn't feel bloated, and it smokes my pre in the speed department. But I would like more os depth as a whole. I feel it's severly lacking in any depth, without patches. Yet I'm not sure it can bear the weight of additions, until the lag problems are worked out, which I feel should have been by now.