Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    My Sprint Pre will sometimes show me the "too many cards" error when launching a new 3D game. This can happen even with no cards open. A restart is enough to fix it.

Now I understand that there are probably memory leaks, which maybe Palm can fix. But as more a more features are added to WebOS (flash, etc), and the games get bigger and better (Gameloft - NOVA please!) are we going to reach a time when some games will only work on the Pre+?

Are there ways that Palm can seriously lighten the memory footprint of WebOS without compromising the features? I know the Iphone 3GS has the same memory, but I'm sure the OS is much lighter on the Iphone.

Are there things we can do now to lighten the memory load? I have JSTop installed, which is neat, but I'm not sure it is showing an accurate memory usage. It seems like native processes are not shown, IE when I launch a game it shows no increase in memory use.

Ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    My Sprint Pre will sometimes show me the "too many cards" error when launching a new 3D game. This can happen even with no cards open. A restart is enough to fix it.

Now I understand that there are probably memory leaks, which maybe Palm can fix. But as more a more features are added to WebOS (flash, etc), and the games get bigger and better (Gameloft - NOVA please!) are we going to reach a time when some games will only work on the Pre+?

Are there ways that Palm can seriously lighten the memory footprint of WebOS without compromising the features? I know the Iphone 3GS has the same memory, but I'm sure the OS is much lighter on the Iphone.

Are there things we can do now to lighten the memory load? I have JSTop installed, which is neat, but I'm not sure it is showing an accurate memory usage. It seems like native processes are not shown, IE when I launch a game it shows no increase in memory use.

Ideas?
    I believe the OS takes up around 40% of the RAM in the regular Pre. If they reduce that (which they can), then it will be easier to launch games without issues.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    A reset fixes this issues, so I got no problems with that. I love these new games on my Pre.
    I just make it a habit of doing a quick Luna restart before starting a game...it only takes a few seconds and then I never have an issue.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    i've found a simple java restart within luna manager has cleared enough memory to launch games.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Yeah i'm with caj, I think it's not so much a problem of the OS taking too much memory but it not doing as much garbage collection as it should.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    so if the os takes around 40% of the available RAM, how much are we losing in memory leaks?

I like jstop, but I don't think it is showing native processes. It shows 16% used, but even at that with no cards open and trying a garbage collection, I can't always launch a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
    so if the os takes around 40% of the available RAM, how much are we losing in memory leaks?

I like jstop, but I don't think it is showing native processes. It shows 16% used, but even at that with no cards open and trying a garbage collection, I can't always launch a game.
    To the how much of the RAM is really used, you have to go through novaterm, etc
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    To the how much of the RAM is really used, you have to go through novaterm, etc
    is there a method for this? Possibly using terminal?

how about services? Do those use much memory if the programs are not accessing them? I might have one or two I don't use much, I could get rid of.
    Type "free -m" in the Terminal to find out your current memory usage. Better go landscape.
    In novaterm you can also try "top" and type Shift+m to sort by Memory usage. Using this in Terminal is no fun as refreshing the terminal uses too much CPU.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by damnregister View Post
    Type "free -m" in the Terminal to find out your current memory usage. Better go landscape.
    In novaterm you can also try "top" and type Shift+m to sort by Memory usage. Using this in Terminal is no fun as refreshing the terminal uses too much CPU.
    Thanks. I'll do some study to figure out how much is draining through the day. How much memory do you all find used typically after a day of use?

I love the games, I'll buy more when they come out. And if I have to have only the game app open to play, I guess it's not that big of a deal. But here's hoping that 1.4 has a lighter footprint and fixes some leaks. A restart should not be necessary and it will only get worse as games get better.
    Global Posts
    303 Global Posts
    OK near as I can tell, here's what I got. Maybe someone could tell me if I'm reading it wrong, but I don't think so.

After a fresh restart - 91MB free

After 15 hours or so - only very light use (general web browsing, maybe one game played, some txt, etc) - 75 MB free

Then a garbage heap clear - 76MB free

Then a luna restart - 86 MB free

Then after another full restart - back to 91MB free

Where's the leak? Lost ~18% in 15 hours. They gotta fix this. I mean, I have some homebrew and some patches, but I barely used the thing.