Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I apologize for the lack of clickable links in this post, but the forum software doesn't permit it when you have fewer than 10 posts.

When I bought my Pre back in October, one of the first things I did was call Audible.com to request that they support the Pre (after checking the forums here to ascertain that there was no good workaround. They told me,
    "we're working on it, but it's up to Palm to support our format in firmware. We'll probably have something in two or three months."
    That's the same answer they're still giving to new users now. I'm tired of waiting, so I did something. I found a way to get my audiobooks onto my Pre.

It's NOT as easy as audible, but it does work, and it's not that involved.

1. Call Audible 1-888-283-5051 and PUT YOUR Account on Hold. Audible will let you pause your account for 3 months, but retain all the benenfits, including free access to the daily news download. You won't get any credits during this period, but you also won't pay anything. Be sure to tell them that you're A WebOS user who can't access the books on your device.
    2. If you haven't already, install the Homebrew REMIX Music Player. The default Music Player has no bookmark support, but the REMIX Player does. It has an occasional glitch, but works at least as well as the audible app did on my WinMob6 phone.
    3. If you don't already have it, download the WinAmp Player from winamp dot org. It's a fairly easy way to sync your audio files to your Pre or Pixi (and works much better than iTunes ever did with my Pre).
    4. Go to Simply Audiobooks dot com and sign up. The rates are comparable to audible, and they have MP3 downloads, without DRM (no encryption). The selection is over 10,000 books, so you should be able to find plenty to listen to. After you sign up, be sure to drop customer support a note telling them that you're giving them a try because Audible doesn't support the Pre or Pixi. Ask them to give you a reason to stay by making this easier. Ask them for a WebOS App for their site. I have already done this.

If a thousand of us do this, maybe we'll have enough impact on Audible or SimplyAudiobooks, or both, to get WebOS apps to download and install automatically on our phones.

NOTE:
    When you download your first audiobook, you'll notice it's in a compressed Windows Media Player format. You'll get a warning that there is a script in the file. Go ahead and run it, it will decompress your book, placing it in your music folder in a folder under the author's name.

I move the whole folder to a folder labelled audiobooks (Non Audible format), and then use WinAmp to create a playlist with the book's title. Winamp handles syncing very well, and allows you to exclude certain playlists, as well as easily deleting them from your phone when you've listened to them.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ...and for the tens of thousands of Pre users that don't homebrew, etc?

I'm giving up hope Palm will ever support Audible's format. Sad, considering the big cross-promotion Palm and Audible did when the Treo 650 came out....

...and that's what prompted me to become an Audible customer in the first place.
    jazzplayer likes this.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    They told me since I previously suspended my account 4 months ago that I couldn't do it again. They also told me it was Palm's fault yet 2 weeks ago I signed up for testing of their new WEBOS software which they said they were developing right now. Today I found out that was "Vaporware" and from now on I had to continue to pay for a useless membership.

Good luck with this company that is owned by Amazon. They have their Kindle needs so I guess they bought them to sink them.

G..
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    ...and for the tens of thousands of Pre users that don't homebrew, etc?

I'm giving up hope Palm will ever support Audible's format. Sad, considering the big cross-promotion Palm and Audible did when the Treo 650 came out....

...and that's what prompted me to become an Audible customer in the first place.
    Ok, but why not use HomeBrew to solve a problem? I understand your reluctance, and I'd never be the first to install a new app from the HomeBrew list, but with Preware, it's dead simple, and the Music Player (Remix) app is well reviewed and very stable.

It's clear to me (and appears to be to you as well) that Audible doesn't plan to deal with this anytime soon. If we don't do SOMETHING, we lose. I'm just offering a workaround. The ultimate goal is to prod one or more of these companies into action with a WebOS native app in the official app catalog.

Frankly, we're very fortunate that we have these options. Not using them would be on us.
    Global Posts
    81 Global Posts
    Audible tried to get me to suspend my account, but I've seen the writting on the wall - I cancelled my account and I told them I'd re-subscribe when they finally support the Pre.

What am I doing now? I've been checking out books on CD from the library and using Media Monkey to upload to the Pre. I can also download MP3 files from the library and transfer to the MP3 and play them on Remix. This doesn't cost me a thing!
  6.    #6  
    I hadn't thought about the library!
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I just used AllMusicConverter which converted all of my AA books to MP3. They work fine on the Pre with MusicRemix. I just had just downloaded my last 6 credits from Audible before cancelling their product. I at least have a bit of time before needing another title to digest. In fact I haven't even finished two books I just haven't ever found the time to read, the one about Stalin and the one called the China Price. (both are hours and hours long..)

I did notice when i went to Amazon for the wife today that Kindle was the opening full page product but I fail to see where that competes with Audible, their other product. I guess some Einstein there had decided if they get 5% Audible users to switch away from their phones it's a good investment.

I sure can't figure it out. If it was really Palm they would post here as their company and let Palm sort it out. I think not.
    I'm very happy using sound taxi to convert my Audible books into Mp3's. Using music remix on the Pre the converted files play perfectly just as good as playing the audible files on my ipod. I also like the fact that I am stripping the DRM from my books which I legally own. I hate paying money for files with DRM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Just cancelled my 5 year old membership with Audible. It's so disappointing. If they're not going to support the device, why couldn't they at least let us log in and stream our libraries like you do on a desktop?
    Now that the SDK for version 2 is out, maybe Audible will have not reason to say they can't develop the app for WebOS.

I believe this is what they were waiting for.

But I'm beginning to think they are going to go the route that Docs to Go went which was to give WebOS the finger.

Can some developer out there please look into making an app that can play Audible files and maybe tell Audible you developed the app for WebOS and for them to give you the approval to market your app for the lack that they can't do it themselves.

That's what we really need, is for some developer here on Homebrew to write the Audible app for us!

Is anyone interested?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Homebrew is the greatest thing that has happened to WebOS
    I just sent this into Audiblle... I'll post here, if I hear anything back.

Dear Audible,

I have been an Audible user in the past.
    I have been using a webOS (Palm Pre) user for over a year now.

I understand that you are a business and have choices to make.
    I understand that you only put time/money/energy into products that are consumed by the marketplace.
    I'm under the impression that it was a Palm limitation why you weren't creating a webOS application.
    I believe your official statement was related to the webOS media player not being able to play your DRM files.
    However, the recently updated PDK features, HP acquiring Palm (and therefore being able to market/integrate better), and now a new OS announced by HP/Palm for this device, seems like it might allow you to easily get to webOS now?

A) If you have talked with HP/Palm and their new OS 2.0, could you please comment on anything as to why you are OR are not looking launching an App when their new OS launches in a month or so?

B) If you ARE NOT venturing towards a webOS application, could you explain why. Does the new webOS 2.0 media player still not allow audible content, even though you want to create one? There are other media players in webOS. Can you confirm/deny that Audible content will play in those media players also? You could easily launch an App and just tell users they need 'X media player' on their device to play it.

C) If you ARE venturing towards a webOS application, could you put me on a mailing list for Beta testing.
    I would gladly post results this all over Palm/HP fan and company forums.

As an example of of demands from webOS fans (knowing it's a great operating system that unfortunately didn't get a great launch into the smartphone marketplace), see the following:
    http://community.sprint.com/baw/poll.jspa?poll=1079
    This is kind of rediculous for an OS that has 2% of the marketplace. It is ready to grow with HP behind it.

Thanks for any feedback,
    A former Audible user and fan, looking to jump ship, if a webOS interface doesn't arise soon.
    Hi,

I'm trying to find the original Audible thread, but in the meantime, I will post this here.

I was interested tonight if Audible supported any Linux systems.

Remember, WebOS is based on Linux!

Here is what is their help files under Linux:

At this time Audible is not compatible with the Linux operating system. Audible is actively pursuing compability with Linux in all versions by pursuing support from the open source community that develops this platform.

If you have any questions or would like to provide feedback regarding Linux and Audible, please click on the link below.

Maybe one of our Homebrew developers would be interested in this project.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

well, fyi......it's been a few months with no email response from Audible. Dang
    It would be awesome if a homebrewer took on this project.
    I have my fingers crossed for a handful of awesome HP announcements next week. Maybe they'll have a few software/app announcements too....like a Nook app or some other site that does audio books.
    If you go to the audible.com home page and click on Help (Find Answers) the number 2 question on the list is "Can I use my phone that runs the WebOS (e.g. Palm Pre & Pixi) operating system with Audible?" Number 1 asks if there is an iPhone app for audible.

I just sent Audible (another!) email asking about WebOS support and asking to be included in any beta testing they do.

Help me out here Audible/WebOS fans. Let's talk it up and maybe Audible will sense new demand.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    The saga continues...

Please wait for a Concierge chat agent to respond.

You are now chatting with Giovanny

Giovanny: Thank you for contacting Audible. My name is Giovanny, how can I help you today?

you: Hello Giovanny.

Giovanny: Hi!

you: My 2 phones choices are HP/Palm - Webos and Windows Phone, neither of which you have an app for. What are your plans regarding those 2 OS's?

Giovanny: I understand that you are inquiring about your devices not being Audible Ready. I do apologize for the inconvenience as I will be more than willing to assist you.Both of these companies have not shown interest in making their devices Audible Ready at this moment. If you would like to contact then to get more information on the reason why the device is still not compatible that's completely up to you and we will be happy to receive any feedback that you can provide from that conversation.

you: So you saying that HP for example, with their new TouchPad and upcoming Pre 3 have no interest in Audible?

Giovanny: That's correct.

you: That is certainly a disappointment. Thank you for your time Giovanny, you have answered all of my questions.
    A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money
    Sounds like WebOS is in the works at Audible. Here's the transcript of my chat.

Thank you for choosing Audible. A representative will be with you shortly.
    You are now chatting with Jonathan.
    Jonathan: Thank you for contacting Audible. My name is Jonathan, how can I help you today?
    You: I just got an HP touchpad and I wanted to listen to my library on it.
    You: I was trying to figure out how to do it.
    Jonathan: I will be more than happy to assist you.
    You: Awesome! Thank you.
    Jonathan: Unfortunately, we are not compatible with the HP touchpad at this time.
    Jonathan: However, you can download the audio books to your computer or burn it to CDs.
    You: Even through a browser?
    Jonathan: I apologize for the inconvenience, it will not work through the browser.
    You: Oh darn it. I ♥ my Touchpad!
    You: I first used Audible with my Palm pilot years ago.
    You: I was considering joining monthly again too...
    You: Do you know if there are plans in the works to support WebOS at all?
    Jonathan: It's in the process however we do not have an ETA when it will be available.
    You: Oh cool! I will check back in a month or two. Thanks for you time.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    I burned the audible files to disc images, then mounted the disc images one at a time and ripped them into mp3 format. I used disc images because I didn't want to have to burn a bunch of real cds. This allowed me to strip the drm and listen to my books on any mp3 player. I originally did this to be able to listen to my books on my n800. I now use a touchpad and I can listen to them on it.

But recently, I installed cm7 on my tp and then I can use the Audible App for android. I also installed the ereader app so that I can read all my old peanut press books I bought for my palm pilot. It's kind of a pain having to reboot into cm7 in order to use audible or ereader. But it works.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rlanza1054 View Post
    Hi,

I'm trying to find the original Audible thread, but in the meantime, I will post this here.

I was interested tonight if Audible supported any Linux systems.

Remember, WebOS is based on Linux!

Here is what is their help files under Linux:

At this time Audible is not compatible with the Linux operating system. Audible is actively pursuing compability with Linux in all versions by pursuing support from the open source community that develops this platform.

If you have any questions or would like to provide feedback regarding Linux and Audible, please click on the link below.

Maybe one of our Homebrew developers would be interested in this project.

Rob
    They do support some models of both the TomTom and Garman GPSs, primarily the ones with built in FM transmitters. They both use Linux (or a small subset) as the operating systems for their GPSs.

Would it be possible for someone, less program challenged, to extract enough workable information from file that Audible Manager downloads to make the different devices work? Or, are those files just used by AM to communicate with said device?
    Last edited by thevorlon; 02/11/2012 at 03:25 AM. Reason: additions
    Here's and old thread, but maybe this will help someone.

There is a way to get audible on a web os (pre2), but it's not exactly friction free.

you need to install the classic app from the app catalog. then you need to install palm desktop on a computer. When you, skip the part of the install where you sync via usb cable (because you can't).

when palm desktop finishes install, you need to go into options and select the check box to allow you to sync with tcp/ip. then you can sync the classic app, by going into sync and entering the computer ip address.

once that is done, you need to go to audible.com and down load and install the download manager. then click on setup devices and from the list choose palm handheld. it will down load and setup the palm os audible app, and tell you to sync. once you do, audible will set up the palm os app for classic.

at this point you can copy over the audible audio files you want to your web os device. they need to be copied to the classicapps/audibleaudio folder. also the cannot be audible 4. it needs to be 1,2 or 3. the palm os app refuses to play 4.

once audible file is copied over, you can go to the audible app in classic and go to local library to play it.

As i said, not exactly friction free, but it works.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast