1.    #1  
    searched a bit and could not find an answer. I remember from my first round with the Pre that people didn't want all of their gmail contacts on the phone and contacts had to be my contacts or whatever. I don't use gmail. Just use google contacts and haven't made any of them My Contacts. Works perfectly fine on Android.

Do I now have to have all these contacts as "my contacts" to get them to sync to WebOS?

Also, is there a way to not have contacts from instant messengers show up in the contacts list? I just want contacts from exchange and google and that's it. But I have a feeling I can't use IM unless I deal with all those extra people in my Contacts list, many of which are not in either database, and I don't want them there.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    There didn't previously, but now do after one of the WebOS updates.
  3.    #3  
    that's a bummer. didn't really want all of my contacts to be My Contacts.

Now I have to figure out a way to do instant messaging without all those IM names getting thrown into my contacts. Think that one is a losing battle.
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Now it seems only My Contacts and not All Contacts are synced.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Correct. Only "My Contacts" are now synced. I now use google to manage all my contacts but only put those on my phone that I want. Works pretty well. I created additional groups so that I can sort and move around all I want. It doesn't help with the phone but does help on google for managing who is on your phone and who is not.

If you use AIM or whatever you can create one contact and "link" all the stupid AIM bots into that one. That's what I do.