Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    I have a pretty big problem with photos I have taken on my camera dissapearing from the device. Now I know they were there as I had sent a couple via SMS, which luckily meant I could retrieve those ones. Oddly, the older photos seem to stay, so I am wondering if they are overwriting each other?

    I was out with friends taking loads of pictures in a row, then looking at some, going back to camera, taking some more and then closing the camera app. I repeated this process a few times. Later that night we had a look at what I had taken but only a handful of the images were there.

    I have had this on more than one occasion and as previously mentioned I sent some via SMS, then when I went to view the photos th next day, they were gone! Am I doing something wrong, do I need to go into the photo album each time, or not?

    Anyone else have this issue?
  2. Lemstil's Avatar
    Posts
    118 Posts
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    #2  
    Can't be sure yet, but the photos taken recently were gone. I don't recall doing anything to explain this, except copying them via USB to my computer. After that I set one of them as a wallpaper, so they were still there for some time afterwards.
    Thanks to that copying I didn't lost them for good but why they are not on the phone anymore I can't explain.
    As I said in the begining, this needs some more checking, before I can confirm this is a real issue.
  3. #3  
    could have accidentally deleted them on transfer i have done that before with my pc
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepflower View Post
    I have a pretty big problem with photos I have taken on my camera dissapearing from the device. Now I know they were there as I had sent a couple via SMS, which luckily meant I could retrieve those ones. Oddly, the older photos seem to stay, so I am wondering if they are overwriting each other?

    I was out with friends taking loads of pictures in a row, then looking at some, going back to camera, taking some more and then closing the camera app. I repeated this process a few times. Later that night we had a look at what I had taken but only a handful of the images were there.

    I have had this on more than one occasion and as previously mentioned I sent some via SMS, then when I went to view the photos th next day, they were gone! Am I doing something wrong, do I need to go into the photo album each time, or not?

    Anyone else have this issue?
    Depending on how many you've taken, the image names might be overwriting due to the excess amount of photos in your Photo App. You can install Jason's improved camera image filename so that they don't get overwritten. It works great. It labels pic file names taken with a date_time etc format.

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post1998450
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepflower View Post
    I have a pretty big problem with photos I have taken on my camera dissapearing from the device. Now I know they were there as I had sent a couple via SMS, which luckily meant I could retrieve those ones. Oddly, the older photos seem to stay, so I am wondering if they are overwriting each other?

    I was out with friends taking loads of pictures in a row, then looking at some, going back to camera, taking some more and then closing the camera app. I repeated this process a few times. Later that night we had a look at what I had taken but only a handful of the images were there.

    I have had this on more than one occasion and as previously mentioned I sent some via SMS, then when I went to view the photos th next day, they were gone! Am I doing something wrong, do I need to go into the photo album each time, or not?

    Anyone else have this issue?
    delete the palm999 folder under dcim and you should be good.
  6. #6  
    Ok, I'm having this problem, but I think it has something to do with recording video in 1.4. Is anyone having this problem? I record a video and it will delete a few of my pictures.
  7. #7  
    had the same problem. I took a bunch of pics the other day and the next day there were only a few of them there!
  8. #8  
    did any of you try deleting the 999palm folder?
  9. #9  
    i guess something is not right with your memory card may be. That happened with me as well. As soon as i transferred pics in to my memory card they were deleted and all. So i suggest you get your memory card checked or something.
  10. PreGk's Avatar
    Posts
    441 Posts
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    #10  
    same problem since 1.4..took 2 dozen pics last weekend and when I went to view them, only 5 were there. All of my pics taken prior to 1.4 were still there.
  11. #11  
    I've reported the same problem with a similar post. I've heard that adding jason patch to rename photos with m/d/y would work perfectly, tried it and still getting the same results. With videos I think it has nothing to do with as of when 1.4 came out I've only use it 3 times. Palm help us with this bug!!. Now I feel like I can't even use the camara.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by santosjrm View Post
    I've reported the same problem with a similar post. I've heard that adding jason patch to rename photos with m/d/y would work perfectly, tried it and still getting the same results. With videos I think it has nothing to do with as of when 1.4 came out I've only use it 3 times. Palm help us with this bug!!. Now I feel like I can't even use the camara.
    did you try what I said?
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    did you try what I said?
    I'll try that next. Thanks for the help.
  14. Andreas's Avatar
    Posts
    896 Posts
    Global Posts
    941 Global Posts
    #14  
    I think ive found the problem and it occurs because the photo and video recording app dont check if a filename is already taken or not before saving a pic/video.

    This coupled with the fact that the file name counter seems to reset either when doctoring or doing a full erase you will end up with a Pre that writes over existing picture and video files (or pics you put back on the phone after a full erase)

    Check this screen shot of my DCIM folder on my Pre and notice that the counter been reset and that the latest picture taken is CIMG0069.jpg. I have taken more than 69 pics tough so before the counter reset it went way past this so you can see that I have older pics that will soon be deleted/overwritten if take more pics/videos.



    On a normal pocket camera it actually checks before writing a new filename, atleast my Casio does. If I put a fake picture named CIMG0077 on my Casio it wont ovewrite them when the counter reach that 0077, it will just skip 0077 and name the new pic CIMG0078.
    Last edited by Andreas; 03/13/2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Picture link didnt work properly
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
  15. Andreas's Avatar
    Posts
    896 Posts
    Global Posts
    941 Global Posts
    #15  
    I took some more photos and videos and compare this screenshot with the one above and you will notice that quite many pics have been replaced/overwritten.

    Look how the dates and file sizes have changed, this indicates they have been replaced by a new picture. The 0071 and many other photos (0065, 0066, 0069, 0075, 0076, 0077) was over written by new pics.




    Scary thing is that many of the pics that was lost/overwritten was actually taken a couple of days ago so its not just old pics that you copied back onto your Pre that might get overwritten.

    Seems like the app needs to start checking if a file name already exists before writing over a previous pic or if it already does this something aint working correctly.
    Last edited by Andreas; 03/13/2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: sorry for my crappy spelling
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
  16. Andreas's Avatar
    Posts
    896 Posts
    Global Posts
    941 Global Posts
    #16  
    Btw, if you have a backup on your computer make sure you dont replace photos when you take the next backup.

    The Pre might already have over written some of your photos so when you accept to replace a file in your backup folder chances are you are replacing the old pic with a totally different one that only shares the filename with the old pic.
    Treo 180 270 600 650 Centro Pre Pr3 tPad tPad4G
  17. SAO
    SAO is offline
    SAO's Avatar
    Posts
    23 Posts
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    #17  
    that's bull****. I have pictures on there of evidence I've collected and the subjects I've arrested and now a few of them are gone because of this issue. Way to go Palm, great Quality Control testers you have there.

    Jeez, I've tried to be a little more open minded about the Pre despite the many flaws it has, but this is craziness. This could literally be damaging to my companies prosecution of someone.

    once again...way to go Palm! (Sarcasm)
  18. #18  
    There are many threads on this issue. Please do a search. Search is your friend.

    For now, you can install Jason's patch that will correct this issue. I've been using that patch for a long time and I've never had this issue and I've got over 400+ pics on my Pre.

    The link below is the updated patches that work with 1.4.

    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...ml#post2260440
    Last edited by Achill3s; 03/13/2010 at 11:07 AM.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by HechoEnCalifas View Post
    Jeez, I've tried to be a little more open minded about the Pre despite the many flaws it has, but this is craziness. This could literally be damaging to my companies prosecution of someone.
    I agree that it's a problem that needs to be fixed and it can be frustrating to lose photos....BUT....if you have a company that depends on pictures to "prosecute" someone, then you should at least have them triple backed up.

    In the mean time, use one of the photo renaming patches until Palm fixes this issue.
  20. Helidos's Avatar
    Posts
    791 Posts
    Global Posts
    810 Global Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by HechoEnCalifas View Post
    that's bull****. I have pictures on there of evidence I've collected and the subjects I've arrested and now a few of them are gone because of this issue. Way to go Palm, great Quality Control testers you have there.

    Jeez, I've tried to be a little more open minded about the Pre despite the many flaws it has, but this is craziness. This could literally be damaging to my companies prosecution of someone.

    once again...way to go Palm! (Sarcasm)
    Same could be said about you using a cell phone for evidence photos and then losing them because you did not have a backup

    I just held the space bar down with the camera app open and shot over 40 pics and not one was over writing so.... I have not had this issue......
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions