Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tonyw
  1.    #1  
    I've been searching the forum for a while now, and it looks like various forms of this question have popped up, but most of them were back in like July when people weren't really looking into such things.
    And most of them didn't have answers.

Out of the box, my Sprint Pre lets me choose between English and Spanish.
    From what I hear, the European Pre has other options.
    After digging through my phone via Internalz, it *appears* that I have more than two languages hiding in there.

My questions:

• Is it possible to activate one of these "dormant" languages?
    • Am I able to add my own language files to the proper directory and use those?
    • If I can't add my own files, would altering say, the Spanish files, let me create a custom language interface?

Assuming I did it right, I don't see any problems with altering the Spanish files, as long as I do ALL of them. (Otherwise I'd end up with a half-Spanish Pre...)

-=-=-=-=-
    After spending hours in the forums searching, it looks like there are several language communities out there that aren't supported.
    If we could pool our resources, we might be able to come up with something.

webOS Developer
  2.    #2  
    Just spent quite some time digging around the inside of my Pre, and it looks like the language files are in several different places.

Has anyone tracked them all down yet?

webOS Developer
    I'm getting this week a Palm Pixi Plus! I am looking for a way to put the OS in Portuguese too! I'm willing to translate it my self, if it won't be really really hard.
    So, you managed to translate it yourself?
    I've just finished localized webOS 2.2.4 into Traditional Chinese. I find the following folders where the translation files should store:

1. /usr/lib/luna/customization/locale.txt - edit this file to let you add/remove language in Regional Settings.

2. /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications & /usr/palm/applications - you can find "resources" folder in different apps. You need to edit appinfo.json, strings.json and some html under "views" folder. You should be able to find other default translations for reference.

3. /usr/palm/frameworks, /usr/palm/public, /usr/palm/sysmgr are similar to apps, but system related and different webOS version may contains different folder name (e.g. \usr\palm\frameworks\mojo\submissions\383 for webOS 2.2.4 and \usr\palm\frameworks\mojo\submissions\367 for older version).

You can just copy the files from default translations to your own language, and renaming the folder under "resources". For example, make a copy of \usr\palm\applications\com.palm.app.languagepicker\resources\es and rename the new folder as \usr\palm\applications\com.palm.app.languagepicker\resources\pt, then change the contents to Portuguese.

It's easy to make localization but time consuming. I prefer Notepad++ as editor and like it's function to search the entire folder for certain keywords to find and replace. Hope it helps.
    Palm Pilot Pro, Palm III, IBM Workpad C3, Visor Prism, Clie T650, LifeDrive, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro, Desire Z, UK Pre 2, AT&T Pre 3 & TouchPad 32G.
    siobhanellis likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyw View Post
    I've just finished localized webOS 2.2.4 into Traditional Chinese. I find the following folders where the translation files should store:

1. /usr/lib/luna/customization/locale.txt - edit this file to let you add/remove language in Regional Settings.

2. /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications & /usr/palm/applications - you can find "resources" folder in different apps. You need to edit appinfo.json, strings.json and some html under "views" folder. You should be able to find other default translations for reference.

3. /usr/palm/frameworks, /usr/palm/public, /usr/palm/sysmgr are similar to apps, but system related and different webOS version may contains different folder name (e.g. \usr\palm\frameworks\mojo\submissions\383 for webOS 2.2.4 and \usr\palm\frameworks\mojo\submissions\367 for older version).

You can just copy the files from default translations to your own language, and renaming the folder under "resources". For example, make a copy of \usr\palm\applications\com.palm.app.languagepicker\resources\es and rename the new folder as \usr\palm\applications\com.palm.app.languagepicker\resources\pt, then change the contents to Portuguese.

It's easy to make localization but time consuming. I prefer Notepad++ as editor and like it's function to search the entire folder for certain keywords to find and replace. Hope it helps.
    I think that helps a lot, thanks man! The Pixi comes with 1.4.5. so the folder names should be a bit different, but I get there. Just a doubt, to have access to those files I have to doctor and what else? I'm new on WebOS, I don't know much about the ways to get inside it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DGinja View Post
    I think that helps a lot, thanks man! The Pixi comes with 1.4.5. so the folder names should be a bit different, but I get there. Just a doubt, to have access to those files I have to doctor and what else? I'm new on WebOS, I don't know much about the ways to get inside it.
    You don't need to doctor (use computer to delete / reset the webOS system). Here are the steps:

1. Use Internalz Pro (File Explorer for webOS, you can download at Preware) and enable Master Mode in Preferences, then you can see all files & folders in your webOS device.

2. Click on the folder needed and select Copy, choose /media/internal as destination (= your USB drive). Copy the folders one by one (you should need to do 6 times).

3. Finally, connect the USB cable and you can copy all folders to your computer to edit.

Please be reminded that you should uninstall all patches before choosing your language. Just let me know if you have further questions.
    Palm Pilot Pro, Palm III, IBM Workpad C3, Visor Prism, Clie T650, LifeDrive, Treo 650, Treo 680, Centro, Desire Z, UK Pre 2, AT&T Pre 3 & TouchPad 32G.