Note: I posted this thread on gdgt (user: ted) and thought it would be helpful to post it here too. This is somewhat of an odd and completely frustrating error that I have never heard of before. I'm posting it with hope that if anyone else has this problem they will know what they're in for.

--

So earlier this week my Pre did something weird: all of the app icons disappeared, save for the 4 at the quick launch part of the screen. While I could still universal-search an app and launch it, whenever I would attempt to open the main launcher I would be greeted by a gray translucent screen. Where there should have been apps and the icon for the 3 app pages there was nothing. I did a hard reset, and partial erase, the whole nine yards and got nowhere.

After a lengthy discussion with Sprint, I took the phone in to the store to be looked at/replaced. They had it for 3 days, ordered a replacement, and signed in with my palm profile. Nothing changed.

Turns out my Palm Profile was corrupt; somehow the local and cloud saves of my profile were unusable and Palm had no way of fixing it. After some calls (exasperated at this point, 3 days w/o a phone), I reached a support person that must have actually worked at Palm (and not in a call center). I was told that if I nuked my profile (deleted every app, turned off online backup, and did a partial erase) I would have a usable phone again. The only catch was that I was going to loose all my old texts and any contact that was stored in my plam profile (ended up being 5 people or so). So I did it.

I nuked my profile, reinstalled what I could, and my phone works again. I'm out some texts and contacts, and 3 days of phone usage, but I did get a new piece of hardware (my OG Pre was a little banged up and the headphone connection sucked) and I've found a solution to an error I have never seen in any other forum. Anyone else have this problem?

And a final note: the support personal said my only other option aside from nuking the profile was to create a new palm profile with a different email address.