Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1.    #1  
    Hi,

    youtube today released a beta version of a HTML5 video player.
    Does anyone know if it works on webOS?

    I enabled it on youtube.com/testtube but webOS always opens the videos with the internal youtube app.

    thanks!
  2. #2  
    i think i read somewhere that they use h.264 codecs for the html5 video, and only safari and chrome support this so far. no theora so far. so webkit does not support html5 video as of now
  3. #3  
    why god, why?!
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by weizen View Post
    i think i read somewhere that they use h.264 codecs for the html5 video, and only safari and chrome support this so far. no theora so far. so webkit does not support html5 video as of now
    safari uses webkit. the palm pre uses h.264, webkit, and HTML 5 for native applications.. we might get a update allowing us to use this new youtube update someday..
  5. #5  
    WebOS is built around an HTML5 standard - which means it should be really easy for Palm to knock out HTML5 video support. It won't be for a while though for two reasons:

    1) We don't need it (yet)
    2) Youtube won't make a mandatory and full switch from Flash to HTML5 for ages - it will be a very slow process.

    So we can relax for now
  6. #6  
    Why not just use the YouTube application that is already on our phones?
  7. #7  
    Errr, the Youtube app on the phone stinks if you use any community features at all. I can't access my favorites from it, can't comment, can't rate, can't... well, you get the idea.
  8. dan000's Avatar
    Posts
    81 Posts
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    Why not just use the YouTube application that is already on our phones?
    Its a seperate application to run and also youtube isn't the only service to use it.
  9. mosdl's Avatar
    Posts
    781 Posts
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    #9  
    You'll have to wait for 1.4 most likely to get html 5 running.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
  10. Daemon's Avatar
    Posts
    796 Posts
    Global Posts
    809 Global Posts
    #10  
    Note that current HMTL 5 video players don't have a full screen option,
    which makes it pretty worthless from my perspective.

    ian
  11. #11  
    Can somone explain what HTML5 is? Or what that means? I seen it on YouTube but didn't really pay attention. I couldn't get it to play but then again I was using FireFox. But what is HTML5? And what happen to HTML1-4?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Basil View Post
    Can somone explain what HTML5 is? Or what that means? I seen it on YouTube but didn't really pay attention. I couldn't get it to play but then again I was using FireFox. But what is HTML5? And what happen to HTML1-4?
    It's the newest standard of Html which adds additional features such as built-in databases, video rendering, and more graphic options.

    You've experienced html 1-4 while browsing the internet and just didn't notice it, each new version included more features and most web browsers support alot of the specifications in both (there are quite a few which are not used at all but are specified) .

    Currently Safari/Chrome/Firefox 3.5 supports some aspects of html5. I believe Chrome is the furthest along in the latest release, but Safari held the lead for a while. Firefox was the first really popular release of html5-based stuff (but it's still very new on Firefox). And of course IE is behind the rest, though it is expected to bypass Firefox in the newest release.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    It's the newest standard of Html which adds additional features such as built-in databases, video rendering, and more graphic options.

    You've experienced html 1-4 while browsing the internet and just didn't notice it, each new version included more features and most web browsers support alot of the specifications in both (there are quite a few which are not used at all but are specified) .

    Currently Safari/Chrome/Firefox 3.5 supports some aspects of html5. I believe Chrome is the furthest along in the latest release, but Safari held the lead for a while. Firefox was the first really popular release of html5-based stuff (but it's still very new on Firefox). And of course IE is behind the rest, though it is expected to bypass Firefox in the newest release.
    I see. Well I couldn't get anything to work in FireFox 3.5 so I might try Chrome next to see what's the fuss. Haha. =)

    Does HTML5 mean better video quality & faster load times?
  14. #14  
    firefox 3.6 is out today with html5 support
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Basil View Post
    I see. Well I couldn't get anything to work in FireFox 3.5 so I might try Chrome next to see what's the fuss. Haha. =)

    Does HTML5 mean better video quality & faster load times?
    no. HTML 5 has no physical attribute to do any of those you mentioned.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince_Basil View Post
    I see. Well I couldn't get anything to work in FireFox 3.5 so I might try Chrome next to see what's the fuss. Haha. =)

    Does HTML5 mean better video quality & faster load times?
    One of the main advantages is better seeking - you can skip to different parts of a video without having to buffer in the same way that Flash does. It's much faster to jump around the video (give it a try at YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.).
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Currently Safari/Chrome/Firefox 3.5 supports some aspects of html5. I believe Chrome is the furthest along in the latest release, but Safari held the lead for a while. Firefox was the first really popular release of html5-based stuff (but it's still very new on Firefox). And of course IE is behind the rest, though it is expected to bypass Firefox in the newest release.
    When can I use...

    IE currently supports 23% of HTML5 items

    Firefox, 92%
    Safari, 96%
    chrome, 96%
    Opera, 56%
  18. #18  
    html5 is pretty sick...
    Juan

    2010-2011 Champions!

  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    It's the newest standard of Html which adds additional features such as built-in databases, video rendering, and more graphic options
    Just to be clear (and fair to WebOS), it's actually a *proposed* standard right now. It's fairly well along, and a there's a lot of beta and testing activity going on, but it's not totally "cooked" just yet. So I wouldn't be too upset at Palm for not being compliant yet 8^).
  20. flea's Avatar
    Posts
    163 Posts
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    #20  
    BIG NEWS!!!

    MPEG LA - The Standard for Standards - Media

    " Corrected Version of February 2, 2010 News Release Titled “MPEG LA’s AVC License Will Continue Not to Charge Royalties for Internet Video that is Free to End Users”

    (DENVER, CO, US – 2 February 2010) – MPEG LA announced today that its AVC Patent Portfolio License will continue not to charge royalties for Internet Video that is free to end users (known as Internet Broadcast AVC Video) during the next License term from January 1, 2011 to December 31, 2015. Products and services other than Internet Broadcast AVC Video continue to be royalty-bearing, and royalties to apply during the next term will be announced before the end of 2010. ."
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions