1.    #1  
    Hi,

I was wondering if there was some kind of disk check app built into the WebOS.

I'm not looking for hooking up my Pre and doing a disk check using Windows stuff.

I thought there might be a linux or webos comand that I can run that can at least check the integrity of the files on the Pre, no matter where they are located.

And maybe a defrag program as well, althought I know with solid state memory it is general not required.

I looked on WebOS Internals and can't find anything.

I'm not interested in WebOS Doctor, because that is just looking for files that are missing.

I want something to look at the overall integrity of file system.

Thanks!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Linux systems don't need to be defraged like a windows machine as the filesystem is much better optimized.

Scroll down a bit and read the fragmentation section:
    Filesystems
    My pre is like caffeine. If I don't have it in the morning I think something is wrong with me, and I need it all throughout the day to make it
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    flash doesnt need to be defragged anyway.
    For your linux partitions on the device use:
    Manpage of FSCK

For the vfat partitions on the device use:
    Manpage of DOSFSCK

I am not sure if these are currently installed in webOS.
    I don't worry about defrag, but I do worry about corruption. Several times in the past month my PC has been unable to complete copying DJ sets (typically 80-120 MB) over to the Pre, complaining of a delayed write failed or similar error. XP won't 'eject' the Pre (device in use) and all you can do is yank the cable, re-plug it and try again; which sounds like a recipe for file system structure corruption to me.

And sure enough, running "**** /media/internal" came up with an error (differences between boot sector and it's backup). Hmm, to fix or not to fix, that is the question...

Edit: And yeah, that means these are installed in webOS. Cool!
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    How do you run these?
    Yeah for the record the technology of SSID (flash memory) has an identical random and sequential access speed (because of how the technology works without moving parts). Most Hard Drives use platters and must be physically spun and read, meaning sequential read speeds are much higher than random reads.

When you defragment a hard drive it places file pieces as close as possible to each other as possible as possible, cause much faster sequential reads. This is unnecessary and has no effect on flash memory as it would be the exact same speed no matter where it is located on the drive.

Now what you might be experiencing with the failure is the problem with flash memory. While platter-based hard drives can theoretically last forever (or each bit can be wrkitten to an unlimited amount of time), each time a bit on a flash-memory based hard-drive is written, it wears down slightly. A good OS will never write twice to the same bit in a row if it can help it, effectively wearing everything out slowly rather than a small number of bits wearing out quickly.

I'm unsure where WebOS falls, but the really good thing about flash memory is that while it can only be written a certain number of times, it can always be read, meaning you won't lose any data if something fails. That means that there is no reason to run a disk-check utility to determine if some sector or cluster might fail since a failed write will just mean for another bit to come into rotation, while a failed read like is the common problem with platter-based HDs means the entire system could fall apart.

So there really is no reason need either of these tools.
    Is there any way to allocate more of the memory to be used as ram?
    Quote Originally Posted by mmprotection View Post
    Is there any way to allocate more of the memory to be used as ram?
    RAM and the memory of the hard drive are completely different things.

Many devices use something called a Page-File which is stored on the HD and acts like the RAM, however it is much much slower. Increases to the Page-file beyond a certain threshold will not produce better results.

I believe there was a patch which did this at one point but I believe it had very little added performance, it seems that WebOS is very good about this aspect, the only thing that really needs work is the garbage collection and that wouldn't be something a patch could easily fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Now what you might be experiencing with the failure is the problem with flash memory. While platter-based hard drives can theoretically last forever (or each bit can be wrkitten to an unlimited amount of time), each time a bit on a flash-memory based hard-drive is written, it wears down slightly. A good OS will never write twice to the same bit in a row if it can help it, effectively wearing everything out slowly rather than a small number of bits wearing out quickly..
    And the same applies to RAM in a PC or server. Most people would never think twice about it for a home PC, but in the server world, if you do enough transactions with a heavily used SQL server, you can actually "wear out" the RAM before the warranty is up! I've had a few servers over the years wear out their RAID cache memory (which is usually just a stick of RAM) and wear out the main RAM on the motherboard. It's just amazing that to us that it can wear out since we perceive memory as no moving parts.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by xxbeanxx View Post
    For your linux partitions on the device use:
    Manpage of ****

For the vfat partitions on the device use:
    Manpage of DOSFSCK

I am not sure if these are currently installed in webOS.
    Wow, I just looked at your link, I remember **** from my Unix classes, thank you for the reminder.

I wonder if this works on the Pre?

Can't wait to see if it does?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)