Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    I am one of the unfortunate few who is having the WiFi battery drain issue. (15-20%/hr w/WiFi on). But my question is this; In an attempt to solve my drain issue I:
    - Backed up my Profile.
    - Doctored back to 1.3.1.
    - Created a NEW Profile so as not to run into OS version issues.
    - Ran WebOS Repair Utility (Thanks Jason!)
    At this point all was golden; I had a fresh Pre like out of the box, Stock apps, and WiFi battery drain was normal (1-3%/hr)
    - Updated to 1.3.5.1 (still with New profile)
    - My downloaded App Store apps were back (ie. Paratrooper, Radio Time, Tweed)
    Of course my WiFi Battery drain was back again, but normal drain w/WiFi off.

So how have my downloaded apps come back when I was signed into a fresh, empty profile?
    It looks at your credit card number and email address. You must have entered the same credit card number in both profiles
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    With the new profile I have entered nothing for a credit card nor purchased/downloaded any apps and used a different e-mail address from my original profile.
    App downloads are tied to your Palm Profile. If you created a new profile, then all your paid apps go out the window unfortunately.

I have had users experience the same and no be able to redownload my $4.99 app. Apparently Palm cannot do anything about it, even if you have the receipts.

I would expect that to change some in the future, but not any time soon.

**EDIT: The Dr does back up your apps and reinstalls them when you restore that. That's why you have them.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    **EDIT: The Dr does back up your apps and reinstalls them when you restore that. That's why you have them.
    That's the strange part; I Doctor to 1.3.1 and create a new profile when asked to and my apps are not there. When I do an OTA update to 1.3.5.1 they come back. It seems as though they shouldn't due to my new profile having no downloaded apps.

Any thoughts?
    The Doctor does not back up anything. It sends data to the phone, but it doesn't download anything from the phone. This is truly a strange occurrence. Have you talked to Palm about it?
    Ok, so the Doctor doesn't do it, but it's part of the process. I quote from: Palm - webOS Doctor - FAQs

How do I restore my data after using webOS Doctor?
    To restore the PIM (personal information management) data on your phone after using webOS Doctor, log in to your Palm profile using these steps:

1.Press and hold power until you see a logo on the screen (approximately five seconds). Then follow the onscreen instructions to complete setup.
    2.Tap your language on the screen to select it. Your phone checks the network for voice and data activation.
    3.When the Phone Activated message is displayed, tap Next.
    4.To accept the terms and conditions for Palm services, tap Accept.
    5.Tap Sign in With My Profile.
    Important Use the same email address and password you used originally—don't create a new profile.

6.Enter your email address and password, then tap Sign In.

When you do this, all data that has been backed up to your profile (such as contacts, calendar events, and tasks, as well as apps you installed through App Catalog) is restored to your phone.
    That's true. But the OP specifically said that he created a new Palm Profile.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    That's true. But the OP specifically said that he created a new Palm Profile.
    Correct.

I have yet to speak w/ Palm. Since Jason has the updated WebOS RU I am trying that tonight to see if I can get rid of the original WiFi battery drain problem.
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    The doctor does not delete any stuff stored on the usb partition including the apps
    Quote Originally Posted by danstah View Post
    The doctor does not delete any stuff stored on the usb partition including the apps
    By George, I think he's got it!

Doctor to 1.3.1 does not erase the USB partition. However, 1.3.1 will not recognize the apps which have now been moved to the USB partition.

When you update to 1.3.5.1, it will now recognize all the apps from the USB partition.

So the solution is to do a full erase, then Doctor, then update.

Though I'm not sure why you don't Doctor directly to 1.3.5.1.