1.    #1  
    Porting Webos into another device. Although, just keeping web os for phones is simple and easy, the os can be ported into another device.

First lets start off with some background. There are 4 ecosystems out there. There are the old ecosystems of sony (with there tvs, a/v, multimedia, blue ray, p.c. desktop & laptop components), ms (os, mice, kb, zune , & xbox), & apple (iphone, ipod, mac book, apple tv, itunes). The new kid on the block is google (chrome os, google phone, several apps, several services, google phone). So why would palm want to develop and ecosystem. They can take an hands off approach and stick with just phones or they could branch into another device that will help create an ecosystem. If palm sticks strictly with the phone platform then I suspect that its future will not be very bright. Creating ecosystems and seamless interaction with another similarly branded device is the future of tech.

Second, what device should palm branch into? That is the major question. I have an idea that if implemented could lead palm into the stratosphere of tech. There are many companies trying to unify the fragmented market that we have today. There is still a huge disconnect between the computer and the common person. Ubuntu tried to seal the gap but it has failed. Google is now trying to seal the gap but it also will fail unless it changes its plan of attack. See there are several os that could be used for the device. The problem has always been the none optimized graphic user interface and interaction with the device that is far from acceptable. You might ask what makes you think that you know what they need and do you not think they would have done it by now. First i know what will work because i deal with these devices every day. Second they would not have figured it out by now because technology companies are followers. They are like cows. One invents and the others copies. They continue the trend until there is another company that forces them to change by innovation. Take for example apple versus palm/winmo. Keep in mind the story of the rabbit losing to the turtle. Back in 1996 there were two main personal digital assistant companies. Palm and windowsce. For several years those two companies dominated the market despite the fact that there user interface could have been better and the user interaction was far from acceptable with the stylus. For more than 10 years people suffered with the tech that was provided despite the fact that capacitive screen was developed back when the first ipod was made and multitouch was available in 2002. Still windows and palm continued. Everyone who used the device was well aware that this interaction with the device was not acceptable and that there needed to be a indoctrination of the net into the device. So the phones continued on putting more and more processor power and more ram which any one without a brain could have asked for instead of making the device easier to use. Then 2007 comes around and apple comes out with a device that people wanted after the companies ignored our cries for an easier device to use. Now they are haled as the innovator, when all it would have taken was for the companies to listen to people that used the device heavily so that they could make a better product. Instead they focused on faster processors and more ram (the numbers instead of function). There was never a true difference between the higher processor speeds but there was a obvious difference between capacitive multitouch versus resistive touch devices. So now we look back and say even with a 10 year head start apple was able to fly past windows cep and palm with ease in less than 2 years. That is so so sad. All they had to do was to listen to the average techie that used the device frequently to find that the device was far from acceptable.

Third, potential of the device with web os or another arm supported os, is that the huge gap that the windows/mac market has left open will be filled. Currently, there is a vacuum that is not satisfied with laptops, smartphones, ereaders, multimedia centers, & etc. The devices are more than what most people need and that incomparability into our daily lives are far from satisfactory. The device that needs to be made is fairly simple and does not demand there be too much tech involvement. The problem why we have not seen the device made by any manufacture is because the interaction with the device is the stumbling block. We can make the arm processor, memory, storage and ports but what it needs to be a success with out going over board or costing too much is still difficult for the manufactures to grasp. Also a component that allows easy/seamless interaction with the device is difficult to figure out. But there is a some what simple answer with a manipulated version of a prevalent component in the average house hold. Funny right. The answer is so simple and everybody has seen this device. No special mind reading device or some device that is more like an aerobic workout or kung ** movie than a simple user friendly interaction. No costly device like the bidi screen from MIT. The component is simple, cheap and it is ubiquitous in the average consumers home. The device has the potential to replace 70% of the market place computers/laptops/media devices/ ereaders. If you think this a new idea, then you are wrong. Both Google and Microsoft are working on a device/devices but to bad they do not specialize in component innovation thus it will probably not incorporate in our daily lives well (never understood the concept of half building a product so that you can flood the market with cheap poorly though out product. That idea seems sloppy and unorganized). There is also Apple but they are so stuck on making money off of distribution of content and providing butchered/locked down products, it will take them a while to figure it out.

Lastly, of any os out right now for arm processors, web os is the best. it is compact, optimized for multitasking and it can be easily ported to a small device that uses an arm processor or nvidia with ease. You will have multimedia, full internet (not some butchered version), social network capability, gaming, email, A/V functionality, input acceptance for text, and ability to accept/store or transfer files in a device that has a familiar operating system. Ubuntu will also do but web os is better since you can make software for one device but yet it is useable on two devices. Also the user interface is better than ubuntu.

What is this device you speak of?

I know some will probably have remarks/questions as usual. Since this is not the forum that I would like to divulge further information, if you are slick enough that you can contact me then I could give further information. Otherwise, do not expect me to reply to remarks/questions. I am sure others will reply to your post but I will not.
    Comma's, damn what happened to paragraphs? Kingcobra, sounds like you have discovered the Wheel! Good luck with that. I feel almost pathetic that I read the whole thing... Invent away, but steer clear of journalism!
    Last edited by Meltedwire; 01/13/2010 at 07:44 PM.
    - Jeff
    Palm Pre- and a 32 GB TouchPad.
    You do realize the reason Palm was in such a bad financial situation is that they were spreading themselves too thin..(Foleo, spinning off the OS division, etc)

Palm NEEDS to concentrate on just smartphones as they are quickly turning into our personal computers.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    i was wondering if WebOS can be ported to the Treo Pro. Seemed like a great combo. Has anyone tried?
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    i was wondering if WebOS can be ported to the Treo Pro. Seemed like a great combo. Has anyone tried?
    I don't believe webOS was designed to work with a non-capacitive touch screen.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    since it supports multitouch id assume it doesnt
    I guess it's a nice idea...but it should stay on palm devices...it's already hard to manage updates...
    Is anyone working on this? Porting WebOS onto the Nexus One or Droid would be pretty sweet...
    I'd love hardware that wasn't so fragile.
    Why oh why would anyone port Android to the Touchpad? What happen to the guys who wanted to port webOS to another phone? Now is the time to try that with version 3.0, since HP took out the gesture area, it should be much easier to port it to a phone with better specs, but on the same chipset. Also, since HP mentioned maybe rewriting webOS for other chipsets, that would allow more opportunities to port to other phones, maybe iPhone? How about it webOS internals? Think it's possible?

And now that webOS tablets have finally made it to the masses, many who have no clue what webOS is, this is when the Homebrew community can really shine. I think we need to have a telethon to support our guys!!!