Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. TBH
    As Heise Online (Germany) reports (heise mobil - WebOS 1.3.5.2 mit Bluetooth-PAN-Profil), Palm added the PAN (Personal Area Networking) Bluetooth Profile to webOS 1.3.5.2! Just pair it with your computer and it'll work!

Just tested it - and guess what, it works out of the box! Tested on MacOS X 10.5.8, posting this while tethering =)

Finally full tethering without any apps or hacks =)
    Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Great news...

Just tried and it works flawlessly with unsupported carriers (as long as you can use data in phone itself).
    I just tried this here in the UK and found that it is one way, the Pre can access the net via the PC but not the other way round.

I had a PC with a wired ethernet connection and a BT dongle so I set up the PAN on the BT side which all went well and then disabled the ethernet cable. The PC could not access the net despite being connected to the PAN and the Pre having a good WiFi connection.

EDIT: Just disabled the WiFi on the Pre to see if that causes a problem, Pre now connected by GPRS only and still the PC can't access the net. I'm pretty sure this is one way only but I'd love to be proved wrong.

EDIT: Mentioned on another thread but duplicated here, once WiFi was disabled I started getting notifications that network sharing was disabled and to call O2. It seems that the tethering does work but O2 - UK block it (on my account anyway).
    Last edited by andyhurley; 01/12/2010 at 08:58 AM.
    Sorry for being such a Noob but what does PAN allow me to do ??

WIll it let me transfer files from my PC to the Pre via bluetooth?
  5. Fuu
    no, it will give your pc/mac/laptop internet access by your pre. (useful while traveling / sitting in train or whatever..)
    working perfectly fine here in India on Airtel! Thank you Palm!
    Palm launched in India?
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    This is amazing and extremely depressing at the same time. When will us users in the U.S. get this? Come on Sprint get your !@#$ together and let us tether! Come on Palm i thought we get everything first? Oh well i guess you guys across the pond have to have some things first.
    Works great here, too, using Ubuntu and blueman-manager (O2 Germany)
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by isawred53 View Post
    This is amazing and extremely depressing at the same time. When will us users in the U.S. get this? Come on Sprint get your !@#$ together and let us tether! Come on Palm i thought we get everything first? Oh well i guess you guys across the pond have to have some things first.
    Don't blame Palm. Its a Sprint decision. And don't be 'extremely depressed'.. its just a phone..
    Is there an extra cost for this?
  12. Fuu
    No. (not on o2 germany)
    It doesn't work on O2 Ireland, says that my service contract doesn't allow it.
    im bluetooth tethering right now and have been since the pre launch in USA. check my vid on you tube just btype in Palm Pre Bluetooth
    I see the PAN profile in my device info on 1.3.5.1 on my US Pre. How do you use it? I'd like to give it a try.

Edit: Nevermind.. I had to edit the Bluetooth options on my laptop to enable PAN, and it found my phone and connected. Going to disconnect from the network and see what happens...

Edit2: Haha, got a big red error message once I tried to connect (apparently all I had done earlier was successfully pair the devices).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Grabber5.0; 01/12/2010 at 10:27 AM.
    as far as I know, it is NOT true tethering.

Once you disconnect from wifi, bluetooth (out of the box) tethering no longer connects to the web

so its using your wifi's network to create a hotspot. (which is pointless anyway as you can connect directly from your notebook to your wifi)

**this is from US 1.3.5.1, not sure about 1.3.5.2
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    ha, wouldn't that be funny... we end up having that PAN option and didnt even know it.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    works out of the box for me- Orange in Israel
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    It is ironic, that with already having a better value package than its competitors who are still beating it and now a half baked challenge from Verizon (a company spending more to market the Droid which it alone has as opposed to a souped up Pre), Sprint could dominate the conversation by promoting tethering, even limiting its use to short amounts of time or info (so it does not drain bandwidth by those wanting to ditch their ISP) would be a leg up on all the competition and a real reason to buy PrPrPr$s$ $and$ $Pixis$.

I just don't get why companies don't compete when they have an obvious advantage. AT&T could not compete because they are already choked (WITH high paying smartphone/iPhone CUSTOMERS) and Verizon charges for everything (do their employees pay to use the bathroom?). Sprint should be so lucky to grow its customer base even if it is a bandwidth issue - that is if they intend to survive.

Just don't get it.

harlan
    Works without issues: unlocked German QWERTZ O2 model, running 1.3.5.2 in the Netherlands on the KPN network. Paired with my (work) XP laptop, added the Bluetooth network connection.

EDIT: for clarification: using 3G (Wifi is off)
    Last edited by robvanvliet; 01/12/2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Clarification
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast