Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    The only reason I am considering switching it a blackberry is because the push services. I love how when you get a facebook notification, you know imediately. Anyway, is push in the works to be given to devs?

Also, the facebook app is horrible, when will it be updated and will it ever be as good as the iPhone/ blackberry?
    I can tell you from experience that the bberry facebook is very buggy. Although it has more features, they are implemented pretty poorly.

to answer your second question, I'm sure it's safe to assume that the webos facebook app will receive more updates as time passes, but I have not read of any updates coming in the immediate future.

Also, I have a question for you. What are you referring to when you mention push services on the blackberry?
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    what I mea by push serivices is push email and push notifications for the facebool app. I really love that.
    The Pre has push email already.

The Facebook app, however, is nearly featureless at the moment; I suspect it will improve at some point, but I doubt that's a high priority for now.

As for other push services, Palm is planning on opening up a push notification server system similar to Apple's iPhone push servers. Unfortunately we all saw how long it took Apple to implement theirs -- don't be too surprised if it takes Palm that long too, especially if they don't start picking up some steam here pretty quickly.
    There are 2 other facebooks apps for the Pre. Friendsflow gives you pop up notifications each time a friend updates their status and a few other features. Friendsbook gives you a directory of your friends, a view of your wall, the ability to shoot and upload photos, and a few other features that the other 2 apps dont.

Push notifications are really simple. Make sure you aready have a gmail account setup so you get push email. In your facebook acount click on settings, then click on notifications. You can select which events pushes you an email, and which events sents you a text. Its very easy to setup.
    Last edited by rc46; 01/12/2010 at 09:17 AM.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    There are 2 other facebooks apps for the Pre. Friendsflow gives you pop up notifications each time a friend updates their status and a few other features. Friendsbook gives you a directory of your friends, a view of your wall, the ability to shoot and upload photos, and a few other features that the other 2 apps dont.

Push notifications are really simple. Make sure you aready have a gmail account setup so you get push email. In your facebook acount click on settings, then click on notifications. You can select which events pushes you an email, and which events sents you a text. Its very easy to setup.
    Diet even thimk of the text messagethingnor ue gmail thig thanks man.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    As mentioned, the Pre does have push mail. For a bit better FB experiance try....
    x.facebook.com in the browser. It's very similar to the Iphone FB. For quicker access add the page to the launcher. It has a few more options than the FB App.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Another option to try is lite.facebook.com

might not suit your needs, but for me it seems OK.
    I've noticed the lite and touch web versions of fb are not reliable for me at least. Statuses not updated correctly, notifications not consistent. Friendsbook makes you sign in every time and notifications are spotty as well. I use the palm app for statuses and use the ff app for notifications and looking at frinds walls. Would love an updated app tough from palm, especially since they're touting the pixi as a social/messaging device. And both phones as making life easier phones...if they can do 3d games I think it's not unreasonable for a working official fb app.
    Try the real website... I like the Welcome to Facebook | Facebook not the mobile... I can even use the chat thing in it too.. works really well..
    Not to mention anyone can implement push notifications, what's really nice is WebOS' SDK has it's own Messaging specification (Basically a reasonable better form of true push notification), and while it isn't allowed into the App Catalog yet it is documented.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Try this. Navigate to the Facebook home page from the browser. Not the mobile site but regular one. Login and bookmark that page. That is how I do it. You can chat and do everything else just like you were sitting in front of your desktop/laptop. Oh and the push services on the Pre are just as good if not better than BB. I currently have the Pre and the Bb Curve and most of the time I get my email and FB notifications faster on my Pre than BB. Not all the time but even then the Pre is only a minute or so behind my BB. Get's kinda annoying sometimes because soon as I answer or view a email or FB message on one phone I'm getting the same message alert on my other one.
    I get facebook notification via email and sms anyway.
    why do I need them via the app?

I do have three apps for facebook, None of them do everything for me
    Facebook, Palmbook and Friendflow
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    I get facebook notification via email and sms anyway.
    why do I need them via the app?

I do have three apps for facebook, None of them do everything for me
    Facebook, Palmbook and Friendflow
    Because having notifications that's pushed to your app would allow for a seamless use. For example, let's say a friend sent you a message on Facebook and you received a notification in your dashboard just like you would with any other application. Clicking this notification would take you straight to the message.

Unlike with SMS or Email they don't take you directly to what the notification correlates to within the app (they don't even open the app).

I hate to compare to the iPhone, but that's how push notifications work with applications on it. You receive a notification and when responded to takes you to exactly where you need to be within the app for whatever it is you were notified for.

Hope that makes sense.
    I'm alittle confused. Is the current notifications system not capable of having apps notify you? For example all tasks apps and a+ student that I've used on the pre don't notify you of appointments. Weather doesn't alert you of severe weather, facebook app, well not really feature rich yet, but idk. I do believe the twitter apps do though, so is there two kinds of notifications. I remember last year when itouch 3.0 was advertised, before it, palm was talking anout notifications system which apple lacked. Then when it came out, people complained on forums about push notifications not being nearly as good as background notifications which is what the pre and android I think, have. Can someone elaborate on push and background notifications?
    I too have been waiting for a better facebook solution than having 3 apps open to do the work of one good one...or using any of the internet options that don't display correctly...but it has only been seven months of this so perhaps I am being impatient.