1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Today, I guess because of the CES and the Pre Plus coming out, I started to think about what is going to happen with apps that we've already purchased on our current Pre's or Pixi's.

When we get the next and latest version of a WebOS phone, let's say the Pre 2 or Pre Plus 2, or what ever clever name they come up with, will we need to re-purchase all of apps all over again?

I know that presently, when we exchange a Pre or Pixi because it was defective we do not have repurchase the apps again (at least I haven't read that we do as long as we use the same Palm Profile).

I would be really upset if that if the next phone upgrade, after having invested in all these apps now, that I would have to spend that money all over again. Especially, with the more expensive games.

I maybe OK with an upgrade fee, as we had with some of the old PalmOS phones (such as the Treo). But I don't see Palm's App Catalog as having this ability now.

Does anyone know how this is going to work, or does anyone want to comment on this topic?

Thanks!

Just a little future thinking!

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Well I can only speculate, but considering your apps follow your Palm profile... I'd assume no you won't have to pay for them twice.

I think the whole purpose of the cloud profile is so your stuff follows you around on all WebOS devices. I could be wrong though.
    You're absolutely right digink. As long as you use your old profile when you swap phones everything can can will follow you.
    Not so quick folks...if you ever had to doctor your phone, you know that apps that you previously had from the app catalog didn't automatically renew. I'm thinking specifically of FilghtView, which was free once upon a time an now that it's "fee" won't re-load - even if it's in your profile.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but what happens if the price increases since you've paid for the app - I dont have any warm fuzzies that the app won't fail to re-load because there's a difference in what you already paid, as opposed to what the developer wants to charge "now". Nothing guarantees that simply having an app in your profile will allow an automatic download in the future. That's simply the current track record.
    Oh really? I got Flightview back when it was free, and I've doctored my phone and was still able to reinstall Flightview for free.
    Haven't been able to re-load since my last tripto the doctor - and the feedback on the app says I'm not the only one with that problem. Now, I don't have a problem paying for a useful app - we probably both agree that it's the right thing to do. But if you can't re-load an app that was already in your profile, because there was a price increase, that mat be a problem for those of us who use Homebrew - or wind up doctoring our phones for any other reason. Just saying we probably should avoid blanket statements about "blanket security".
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    I doctored my phone less than 2 weeks ago, had flightview free, and it came back just fine.
    I'm sure there are flukes and oddities stemming from once-free-but-now-paid and whatnot. But in general, your apps are connected to your Palm Profile and will certainly be transferred onto a new device. I've done it before myself with a Pre, and it will work when switching to another model as well (I'm sure there are certain limitations, of course, such as when downgrading from a Pre to a Pixi and having a currently unsupported app such as NFS).
  9.    #9  
    Remember guys, I am not talking about using the same phone, it will be an updated or new version of the Pre.

I think your Profile stores the serial number or the type of WebOS device you have.

So it would not be the same Pre but a new version possibly with a different model number?

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

I think this is a great question to give to the Mods here at PreCentral and have them ask the next time they speak to someone at Palm. Or maybe make it a notice on the front page to get noticed.
    FYI, I have mentioned this question already to my Palm contacts (in connection with switching carriers), and they are researching it. When I hear back, I'll write it up for the front page. {Jonathan}