Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I've been having an issue with my App Catalog downloads - a 'phantom app' appears at the top of my downloaded apps list, with no name, and when touched, the App Catalog says "This is not a valid webOS application."

It's interfering with other downloads I'm trying to perform. Restarting the phone used to make it go away for a short period of time, but that's no longer working.

I've got ver. 1.3.5.1 - if anyone can offer any insight, I'd really appreciate it.
  2. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I am having the same issue now.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I'm having the exact issue. Can't download any apps or updates from the app catalog. I've got that same phantom app only visible by a blank icon when viewing the update/updating apps card. No idea what it is or how to ascertain that info. I've removed all patches using the EPR tool, and deleted package manager and preware too for good measure. What to do??
    Its probably an app that was once available in the app catalog but is now not there... Try going to "My Apps" in the app catalog (the shopping bag in the bottom right of the app catalog home screen)... Try removing the phantom app from there.
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    don't know about the OP, but in my case the phantom app only appeared as a blank icon with no name at the top of the list there and a pause button icon as though it was in the middle of downloading. Clicking anywhere on that bar (the icon or the pause button) only brought up the "This is not a valid webOS application." card.

I suspect it had something to do with some interference of a homebrew app or preware/package manager that didn't handle the migration of the latest WebOS update which moved the app storage location.

I say "had" instead of "has" because I finally got fed up with it enough to do a phone reset via WebOSdoctor. This was a bit of a pita, but went smoothly and all my data and apps were restored intact (minus the phantom app). And with the WebOSQuickInstall utility restoring all the patches and tweaks was pretty easy.

So, to the original OP, that is definitely a solution if you can't find another way. Just be sure to run the back-up app first for good measure.
    Same phantom app problem, and same solution (webOS Dr). If you go the Dr route, just make sure you have the most current version of the Dr so you don't break your backup sync.
    here is the fix for this it seems that the install log still tries to install some thing but errors out here is the fix

run putty and sudo in to the pre

after you open putty type this in to terminal

sudo -i
    cd /var
    cd palm
    cd data
    cd com.palm.appInstallService
    rm installHistory.db
    press orange + SYM + R to reboot

Fixes 100% of the time...
    I had this issue. Palm support said I should run WebOS Doctor. There is another post about this issue on the forum. In that thread there was a post about doing a partial erase. I did that and it worked. It was a bit of a pain, though everything is back with the exception of lost milage records in the fuel app.

I am not familiar with putty, but looks pretty straight forward to delete the install history. Will you loose a record of downloaded paid apps, or does that get restored from the palm profile?
    nope you will not lose anything all the install log does is tell what programs are downloading and which ones you selected to download once it finishes it is removed from the log anyway
    Thanks. Sounds like a much less intrusive fix
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeysride9812 View Post
    here is the fix for this it seems that the install log still tries to install some thing but errors out here is the fix

sudo -i
    cd /var
    cd palm
    cd data
    rm installHistory.db

I am by no means a computer programmer but I am pretty savy or so I'd like to think. Is there a tutorial or a place i can find out how to use putty w/ my pre so I can enter the above commands? All i need is a step by step because I really do not want to dr my pre nor do a partial erase. Please any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

sudo -i
    cd /var
    cd palm
    cd data
    rm installHistory.db

I just performed this from terminal, and it worked. I haven't tried installing new apps, but my current app updates now work.

I skipped the first step which has you run sudo. The steps I performed are as follows.

Start Terminal
    cd /var
    cd palm
    cd data
    rm installHistory.db

You can download terminal from Preware.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ludvball View Post
    I just performed this from terminal, and it worked. I haven't tried installing new apps, but my current app updates now work.

I skipped the first step which has you run sudo. The steps I performed are as follows.

Start Terminal
    cd /var
    cd palm
    cd data
    rm installHistory.db

You can download terminal from Preware.
    I dont know how you go that to work I think I tried it and w/o the sodu command you cant h ave access to that location for altering is what I was getting. But I wish I could have done it that way w/o having to do a partial erase.. consider yourself lucky!
    Quote Originally Posted by jk175d View Post
    don't know about the OP, but in my case the phantom app only appeared as a blank icon with no name at the top of the list there and a pause button icon as though it was in the middle of downloading. Clicking anywhere on that bar (the icon or the pause button) only brought up the "This is not a valid webOS application." card.

I suspect it had something to do with some interference of a homebrew app or preware/package manager that didn't handle the migration of the latest WebOS update which moved the app storage location.

I say "had" instead of "has" because I finally got fed up with it enough to do a phone reset via WebOSdoctor. This was a bit of a pita, but went smoothly and all my data and apps were restored intact (minus the phantom app). And with the WebOSQuickInstall utility restoring all the patches and tweaks was pretty easy.

So, to the original OP, that is definitely a solution if you can't find another way. Just be sure to run the back-up app first for good measure.
    This is the exact problem I'm having. It occurred when I tried to download Slacker Radio. The download failed, and I've been unable to download or update anything since.

Now I need to figure out how to use terminal. I consider myself fortunate that I stumbled upon this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by chichi View Post
    I dont know how you go that to work I think I tried it and w/o the sodu command you cant h ave access to that location for altering is what I was getting. But I wish I could have done it that way w/o having to do a partial erase.. consider yourself lucky!
    I just used the Terminal application from Preware and followed the directions laid out by Mikey, and it worked! No need to use Putty/Sudo. Just that Homebrew Terminal app. So thankful to you guys. It saved me from having to do a Partial/Full erase or having to Doctor my phone.
    Mikeysride9812 and ludvball: Very very thankful for your help in this matter! I don't know what I'd do without PreCentral Forums.
    I was getting ready to post about this issue and found this thread. The directions for the Terminal app worked out great!!! I was thinking I would have to visit the good doc to fix my phone but this saved me a big headache!!!

--edit--
    I have thanks to mikeysride9812 and ludvball
    Last edited by fastamx79; 02/04/2010 at 02:22 PM. Reason: updated post
    Will the above fix also cure the bug where "Updates" doesn't apps to update, but the shopping bag in "Apps" does?

sudo -i
    cd /var
    cd palm
    cd data
    rm installHistory.db

I ended up doing WebOS Doctor as I had a few other issues appear.

Ok I am admittedly new to this, where's the DL for PuTTY etc? Do we have SSH?

WebOS Doctor works, though it's not as absolute as Palm thinks it is... ugh. Took 3 tries to finally wipe the thing.
    It happened again last night when I was downloading Whendle. I did not want to perform another partial erase. I struggled a little to understand how to get WebOS Quick Install loaded on my laptop, so I could install preware, so I could install terminal.

Once terminal was installed (and phone rebooted ..... again), I was able to delete the "installHistory.db" file by typing the comands below (many thanks mikeysride9812 & others!) in the newly installed terminal program.

cd /var
    cd palm
    cd data
    rm installHistory.db

It worked great!!
    No partial erase, missing data, and redownload of every app.

Thanks all.
    Last edited by jpwhite4914; 02/10/2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: typo's
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast