Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
    I dont care what they get, unless they can do something about better contact management, with synergy and catagorizing, I'm heading to an android. I just cannot understand how having no control over your contacts doesn't aggravate everybody.
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    I dont care what they get, unless they can do something about better contact management, with synergy and catagorizing, I'm heading to an android. I just cannot understand how having no control over your contacts doesn't aggravate everybody.
    What are you talking about? I have more control over contacts than I've ever had with any device, including my Treos.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Did you actually read what I wrote? And have you kept up with CES? Palm is now going to both Verizon and AT&T. It's an outstanding device that will certainly be promoted by both carriers.

What's so "wild eyed" optimistic about thinking this is going to increase sales and developer interest? Particularly when developers can 1) port their apps fairly easily to the Pre, thus making the economics much more attractive, and 2) they can do so without the onerous restrictions that Apple has imposed and that has driven a number of high-profile developers off the iPhone platform?

Perhaps you're just morbidly pessimistic?
    I don't think At&t or Verizon will advertise the Pre. Verizon is heavy into advertising the Droid and At&t is heavily advertising the iPhone. I think they picked the Pre and Pixi to appeal to Palm customers on their networks with Palm devices, as to give them another Palm phone to upgrade too. I don't think they were thinking "OMG, Web OS is so advanced, if we don't get on board this we will die!"

My problem with the Pre, Web OS, and Palm, everything is an after thought. Games on the Pre are nice, and the Pre has a similar (if not the same) cpu/gpu combination as the iPhone, so I knew games were coming. Well how about they go ahead and copy the iPhone email app, the iPhone calendar, the iPhone video app, the iPhone music app, and other iPhone PDA features. Since we are copying, go all the way. That way, I can just worry if my phone will just split it half the next time I slide it up versus missing so many features from the OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What are you talking about? I have more control over contacts than I've ever had with any device, including my Treos.
    What are you talking about? Our contact book is as basic as it gets, unless you are referring to them linking with one another? Because other than that.

1> You have no catagories to seperate friends, family, aquaintances, work, ect.

2> We are Forced to sync email and IM people into our contact book. One sad reason I haven't been able to enjoy yahoo yet ;(

3> They should wrap the contact page, so we can scroll in reverse, that alone would make it alot more convinient to navigate it's mess.

4> Use of alpha in the phone app, to search contacts.

I'm sorry, but adding video 7 months later isn't any great feat.
    Global Posts
    789 Global Posts
    Sorry to upset people here, but personally i feel that voice dialing is a lot more important then Video capture, considering that most of the states have hands free while driving laws in place?

Video on phone= great for the capture of the latest "jackas*" moment in so so quality.

Voice Dialing on a phone= maybe saving lives and saving $140+ fines?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzard Jr View Post
    were getting flash and video recording. we have an easier to view app catalog (i really like that one) better battery, faster performance all by the end of feb.

is there anything else were missing on the pre to complain about at this time?

im sure there is and i can not wait to hear all about it
    Well it will be between 7-8 months old when we get that update in February.

Top of the line Phones come out with newer versions about once a year or even sooner.

The Pre only started to became a phone with this last update. I can finally have more than 20 APP'S installed.
    So that means that half the life of the phone was waisted by Palm's ignorance on stealing people's money to keep them alive for a few more months by releasing a phone that should of not been.

So yes,

I will still complain.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post

Top of the line Phones come out with newer versions about once a year or even sooner.

The Pre only started to became a phone with this last update. I can finally have more than 20 APP'S installed.
    So that means that half the life of the phone was waisted by Palm's ignorance on stealing people's money to keep them alive for a few more months by releasing a phone that should of not been.

So yes,

I will still complain.
    I like the last sentence, man, I got a good laugh at it. I am with you. Palm was a good company, but I think now they are just becoming a (n)th tier company, with no innovations, but a lot of "I can do that to"ovation. Really, its between the Pre, Hero, Touch Pro 2 (Which there is an Android rom for), and the Moment on Sprint for top tier phones (so if you are on Sprint, you are screwed). On other carriers the Pre won't even be in the top 5. Once Sprint releases another top tier phone, I bet the Pre won't be in the ready now commercials anymore. Because the problem is the Pre is not a top tier phone, not even close. So many missing features. Maybe I wouldn't be so cynical if their quality was better. Who knows. The updates that are trickling out are basically garbage, and people are so excited over this LITTLE stuff they are adding. Basically Web OS 1.0 was Win Mo 6, and with 1.4 we are going to Win Mo 6.1. We are far from phone with a lot of good features.
    What are you talking about? Our contact book is as basic as it gets, unless you are referring to them linking with one another? Because other than that.

1> You have no catagories to seperate friends, family, aquaintances, work, ect.

2> We are Forced to sync email and IM people into our contact book. One sad reason I haven't been able to enjoy yahoo yet ;(

3> They should wrap the contact page, so we can scroll in reverse, that alone would make it alot more convinient to navigate it's mess.

4> Use of alpha in the phone app, to search contacts.

I'm sorry, but adding video 7 months later isn't any great feat.
    Sorry, you weren't very specific. You didn't say "contact book", you said "contacts". Specifically, control over contacts.

With my Treo, I could sync my contacts to exactly one outside source. With my Pre, I can. If I choose, I can sync it to multiple Exchange accounts (I do), multiple Google accounts (I do), Facebook (I do), LinkedIn (I do), Yahoo (I don't do that), AOL (don't do that either). And reading between the lines on today's announcement, there are more to come.

I don't need to seperate into groups, since I don't "browse" the contacts app (I just start typing the name). The one exception is work, and guess what, I put in the name of the organization I work for in the Company field (it's a government agency, and there are LOTS of people in it). When I type the name of the organization, the Contact App filters and only shows me those user.

You are "forced" to sync IM contacts into your contact list because (get this), they're contacts. Go figger.

I tend to agree with scrolling in the contact list, but don't see it as a biggie (remember, I don't typically browse the list); however, I mentioned level of control compared to my Treo. You couldn't do that on the Treo either.

The phone app will let you use Alpha characters to search the address book; however, it filters those users that don't have a phone number entered. Not sure what else you're looking for on this one.
    small screen
    voice dialing
    visual voicemail
    ON SCREEN KEYBOARD (THE ONE NOW IS SLUGGISH AS SHYT)
    better email support
    APPS
    speed.
    can't delete facebook contacts
  10. mkl
    The Build quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelrj View Post

So yes,

I will still complain.
    Anyone that confuses what Palm has done with "stealing people's money" deserves whatever phone they end up with. You knew what the phone was the day you got it. If it wasn't what it "should" have been, a normal sane person would have taken it back rather than have their money "stolen".

Seriously, get real.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    You are "forced" to sync IM contacts into your contact list because (get this), they're contacts. Go figger.
    You should have some control over it though -- currently it's an "all or nothing" deal. You can stick the stragglers into a dummy contact, but that's way too hacky to be a real solution.
    I said "better contact management"

Also, you can't use the alpha keys on hte onscreen phone app, only the numeric keys (unless I'm missing something), having to open the phone itself to search a contact by name, is a real inconvenience, even dangerous while driving. And considering the touch pad is there, with alpha on it, it makes no sense to not have it working by now.

I know IM and email "contacts'' are contacts, but cmon, even you shouldn't be able to justify the mess it makes. Noone needs every email or IM person they have ever exchanged with, imported into our phonebook. Nobody should need their entire list of IM contacts, shoved into their phonebook.

I have several hundred people in my phonebook, plus probably 70 companies I contact for work, It would be really nice to be able to organize them, properly.

Otherwise I am excited that they are finally catching up to modern tech, I feel as though I have alot of time and energy wasted and invested in this phone. I'm not the new guy that showed up, and had the luxury of preware. I spent hours and hours learning basic linux and vi, so it's nice to see them moving forward finally, (almost rewarding) but they are still way behind on the tech and features end.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Also, you can't use the alpha keys on hte onscreen phone app, only the numeric keys (unless I'm missing something), having to open the phone itself to search a contact by name, is a real inconvenience, even dangerous while driving. And considering the touch pad is there, with alpha on it, it makes no sense to not have it working by now.

I know IM and email "contacts'' are contacts, but cmon, even you shouldn't be able to justify the mess it makes. Noone needs every email or IM person they have ever exchanged with, imported into our phonebook. Nobody should need their entire list of IM contacts, shoved into their phonebook.

I have several hundred people in my phonebook, plus probably 70 companies I contact for work, It would be really nice to be able to organize them, properly.
    If you use universal search the way it works would make sense to you. Let me give you an example.

I need to contact someone I work with. If they are at there desk I want to email them, if they away from there desk I want to text message them, and if it is urgent I want to call them, either on their cell phone or work phone depending on where they are. What I do is from card view, I start typing their name. When I see their name appear I tap on it. From there I either email, message or call them by tapping on the email address, SMS icon, or phone number. Type a few letters and tap on the screen once or at worst two times, it doesn't get much easier then that.
    I only use gmail contacts so I can't speak for any of the others, but: If you move the contacts you actually use regularly into gmail "My Contacts" those are the only ones that will sync to your phone. The random stuff will not.
    Blaize, Mistress of Verbosity

Be nice until it's time to not be nice.--Dalton, "Roadhouse"
    Quote Originally Posted by strudel View Post
    If you use universal search the way it works would make sense to you. Let me give you an example.

I need to contact someone I work with. If they are at there desk I want to email them, if they away from there desk I want to text message them, and if it is urgent I want to call them, either on their cell phone or work phone depending on where they are. What I do is from card view, I start typing their name. When I see their name appear I tap on it. From there I either email, message or call them by tapping on the email address, SMS icon, or phone number. Type a few letters and tap on the screen once or at worst two times, it doesn't get much easier then that.
    Did you not read my response? And Universal search makes sense to me, but I do thank you for explaining it, in case it didn't.

All they would need is a alpha button to tap, then as you use the onscreen dialpad "keypad'', while in hte phone app, it could pull up the person your searching.
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    Docs to go please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaize View Post
    I only use gmail contacts so I can't speak for any of the others, but: If you move the contacts you actually use regularly into gmail "My Contacts" those are the only ones that will sync to your phone. The random stuff will not.
    Dude there are a ton of useful workarounds for this phone, but should there be?
    Global Posts
    329 Global Posts
    The new Synergy system isn't like and is never going to work like our old PIMs used to on the Treos, et al. It's 6 months til launch and if we haven't figured out how to be productive with the phone by now then we need to stop wishing for the past and start utilizing what we got.

This isn't a flame by any means....and I can get on-board with some of the things Red is saying (i.e. categories) but I long ago moved past wishing for what ain't and now don't really miss much (or anything, really) from my trusty 755p.

It's a different way to do things, certainly. better? I dunno, but I could never ever go back to my 755p. *shudder*
    That's just it. It's not a "phonebook" (you can tell by the way they spelled it). It's a list of contacts. A centralized list of all of your contacts, and it calls the appropriate program based on what type of contact it is.
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast