Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 13 ... LastLast
    - No official launch in ASIA YET!!!!
    - App catalog empty in Asia
    - No support for non-English-like input, like chinese, japanese, thai
    - media files won't display thai characters in thai song titles
    - still lacking a world clock, stopwatch and timer in clock app
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertSilver View Post
    Are you kidding me?!?!?! You come out and say other phones already do what Palm announced today and then go on to say things that other phones ALSO do. Epic Fail, buddy.
    Huh? Can anybody translate this for me? (on another subject can the internet obsession with the word "fail" please be over now?)

Palm announced catch up features today (and in some cases, still not). The main problem (in my opinion) with the Pre is the awful hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    I guess I'll say it, what was so great about today?

1. 16 gig of storage? Other phones have double that
    2. 3D games? other phones already do that?
    3. Video Recording? been doing that for years on other phones

Where are the hardware upgrades, bigger screen, better keyboard, better font control, non slider version, autofocus camera, etc.

Today we got an announcement that the flawed pre hardware, now has the same features of existing phones. I for one, not impressed.
    Here's what's great, and you seem to be missing it: Palm didn't just essentially match the iPhone and Android in features, and beat them in some (for example, the iPhone won't be getting Flash at all, let alone "soon"). Rather, Palm has announced a development platform that beats the competition hands down.

Palm has an SDK that's quick and easy in Mojo/Ares, but they also fully support (or will in March when the PDK is released) a native environment utilizing what I believe are the most popular/utilized languages in C/C++. They also offer developers the most flexibility in how to market and distribute their apps: go with the App Catalog for exposure and simplicity, or go with the URL option to distribute/market any app without any sort of review process.

Palm has taken what's best about the iPhone's platform, and gotten rid of what's worst. And with Palm going on AT&T and Verizon, the volume should be enough to warrant developers who are unhappy with Apple making the very easy decision to develop for WebOS. It becomes a very real no-brainer.

People can complain all they want. Palm has done some very, very awesome things here.
    Last edited by wynand32; 01/07/2010 at 07:01 PM.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I was just saying that it's nice that were getting flash and video recording but I just hope it doesn't mess anything else up when we do get the update. I liked the 1.3.5 update but I hated the one before that.
    Complaint #1 which hasn't changed since day one of my first Pre, and extended to Pre #2 and Pre #3 and still now... BUILD QUALITY!! The Pre (at least mine and every other one I've played with) just isn't solid. I always get wobbly sliders and the general feel just isn't that solid! Other complaints are all just minor software things like voice command/voice dialing and a Logmein app would be awesome!
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Europe.
    Yep, Europe.
    < M105 - M130 - M515 - T|T3 - Clié UX50 - T|x - Pré - Pré 2 - TouchPad 16GB>
    [url]
    I agree about the hardware. Just have to have faith it will be updated later (not just a Plus version). It's a bit soon right now. And obviously, they're not going with a 3rd product yet.

I really liked the multitasking part showing games paused as notifications were acted on. The PDK really opens things up. And flash has promise though i wasn't too impressed with the demo.

Overall there's a lot (ok..lots) of polish still needed. But its still a 1.x.x.x.x version.
    My only complaint is that, in terms of graphics and developer access, Palm didn't do this sooner. How's that? Besides that, can someone clarify something for me? Will non-pre plus pres be getting video recording as well or is this just on the newer models?
    Oh I have nothing to complain about...I love Palm and todays announcements are just gravy on top of what sounds like a great meal.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Here's what's great, and you seem to be missing it: Palm didn't just essentially match the iPhone and Android in features, and beat them in some (for example, the iPhone won't be getting Flash at all, let alone "soon"). Rather, Palm has announced a development platform that beats the competition hands down.

Palm has an SDK that's quick and easy in Mojo/Ares, but they also fully support (or will in March when the PDK is released) a native environment utilizing what I believe is the most popular/utilized languages in C/C++. They also offer developers the most flexibility in how to market and distribute their apps: go with the App Catalog for exposure and simplicity, or go with the URL option to distribute/market any app without any sort of review process.

Palm has taken what's best about the iPhone's platform, and gotten rid of what's worst. And with Palm going on AT&T and Verizon, the volume should be enough to warrant developers who are unhappy with Apple making the very easy decision to develop for WebOS. It becomes a very real no-brainer.

People can complain all they want. Palm has done some very, very awesome things here.
    yeah, they just put it into a mediocre piece of hardware.
    -hardware
    -no voice dialing(hopefully devs will get access to the mic sometime soon)
    -laggy os(I know that it will get better as the code gets optimized but I hope some of the UI animations will also get access to the GPU)

I think Palm did a great job today of making their phone much more competitive and attractive to consumers but there is still much work to be done. I am confident with how far they have brought Web OS in 6 months that they will be up to the task to bring it that much further when they bring a new phone to Sprint hopefully in 6 months.
    Everything is horrible news for those who can't afford a new Pre. (except video recording and flash, but still, RAM) Even the new apps are crashing on our old expired Pre's.
    How about a good solid device that does not break if you look at it wrong, thats about it.
    Just because your sitting behind a computer does not give you the right to be rude to other's, try being nice you'll get a lot farther in the forums.
    over here, a couple of kids are complaining that the good games aren't free.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Hardware. I have been through 5 pre's (first one turned off when I slid it up, second one just died, 3rd one was a replacement that came with a broken screen, 4th one the keyboard did not work, 5th one screen cracked again). I am not satisfied with how they are addressing the hardware problem. Just fix it. I don't care how. Fix it.

Today was a big "catch-up" day for Palm. Nothing they talked about is new to Smartphones. The only thing that will get developers to make Web OS apps is the offer of the 10 million dollars. That will surely kick start it. Other then that, I am happy about 1.4 coming with video recording, but I would love for them to work on the PDA features and complete backup solution. It sucks we only got 8gb, but whatever, I can live with that.
    I guess OBEX for bluetooth is a big feature left behind, just my 20 mexican pesos.
    Global Posts
    946 Global Posts
    Palm announced catch up features today (and in some cases, still not). The main problem (in my opinion) with the Pre is the awful hardware.
    Some people take offense to hearing That Palm is only catching up to the industry, but it's true. New hardware does nothing for current users who's phone satisfaction is based on the specs and build quality were currently stuck with. And I feel the introduction of flash to cellphonea will cause more problems (and complaints) than it solves.

I'm not trying to slam palm. I'm just saying that gettig caught up with 2009 isn't really enough to entice new users to choose Palm over the competitors.
    Last edited by Urkel; 01/07/2010 at 05:57 PM.
    well there is always the build qualty
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post

Palm has an SDK that's quick and easy in Mojo/Ares, but they also fully support (or will in March when the PDK is released) a native environment utilizing what I believe is the most popular/utilized languages in C/C++. They also offer developers the most flexibility in how to market and distribute their apps: go with the App Catalog for exposure and simplicity, or go with the URL option to distribute/market any app without any sort of review process.

That some wild eyed optimism

The plugin architecture will help porting over apps that use proprietary UIs or need specialized processing in native code. It won't help porting productivity and business apps from established vendors. For that the Pre will have to sell in significant numbers and even then, it's a tough proposition. The games might help with sales and in a roundabout way motivate developers. But it will be a while.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Huh? Can anybody translate this for me? (on another subject can the internet obsession with the word "fail" please be over now?)

Just for the record he was saying that all the things that you asked for/expected from CES are things that are already on devices as well... (auto focus camera for example)
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 13 ... LastLast