Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have had the pre for a year now and I am really bored with it...
    My fatherin law bought a android and its amaziing how many apps and how cool that phone is. the only thing pre has better is the multi windows
    once android adds that function wow
    Pres apps suck IMO.. they are really basic and nothing worth buying for me..
    I was told when I bought the pre that in a couple months we would have the video and flash for the web.. blahh I came from a touch2 and it already has all that and there are more apps and better apps to boot...
    getten time for me to get rid of this phone
    palm keeps updating the phone but i think they are taking way to long giving us the features that should have been in the phone in the first place/...
    Help a guy thats down and out on his luck..
    Here we go.

Quote Originally Posted by upperking View Post
    I don't think the Pre has even been out a year. So you've had the phone for about six months now?

My fatherin law bought a android and its amaziing how many apps and how cool that phone is. the only thing pre has better is the multi windows
    once android adds that function wow
    Is this even in the Andriod roadmap? Something along the line of card view?

Pres apps suck IMO.. they are really basic and nothing worth buying for me..
    Your opinion, and you're very much entitled to it. I don't really agree as I've found many apps that I use each and every day that cover just about everything I want my phone to do.

I was told when I bought the pre that in a couple months we would have the video and flash for the web..
    This is a large part of Adobe's fault. It takes a huge amount of effor to code something like Flash for a mobile platform. You're taking a software package for PCs that bloated for years and now stripping it as much as possible to work on a mobile computing platform. Think of what it takes to do that. We're quite frankly lucky it is going to happen at all.

blahh I came from a touch2 and it already has all that and there are more apps and better apps to boot...
    Like what? Helps to give specific examples of the problem else you look like you're just trolling.

getten time for me to get rid of this phone
    Yup. Suspicion confirmed.

palm keeps updating the phone but i think they are taking way to long giving us the features that should have been in the phone in the first place/...
    Like what? I'll repeat what I said a second ago. Helps to give specific examples of the problem else you look like you're just trolling.

Could this be moved to the general Pre complaints where it belongs since there are no specific complaints?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    who cares.. blah blah.. get a new phone.. no ones gonna beg you to keep your pre..
    I'm bored with this thread.

Not sure how anyone can be bored with the Pre with CES tomorrow going to announce GPU access and other goodies.
    Lets keeping moving folks there is plenty of more "I HATE THE PRE FORUMS TO LOOK AT"

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    OK ******* lay off. He has a point. I'm bored with my pre as well. I bought it in early July and it HAS been kind of boring. I'll forgive the litle problems that have popped up like email not working occasionally and the odd crash, but the apps, frankly, suck.

Aside from the neat way that WebOS handles stuff it is a major disappointment. No video, not even crappy video. I would have liked at least crappy video to start with. For pete's sake, the browser didn't even handle ANIMATED GIFS until just last week.

Here's my take on CES: Show some 3d games or at least 2d games with fluid, animated graphics to show that this OS can handle serious apps, or Palm is gone by the end of the year. Having a phone with the same or better specs as the iPhone 3GS is useless if the OS cripples the developers to Javascript-level programming. This is their chance to show that they are a serious contender in the app space. That's what it's about at this point. People aren't going to oooh and ahhh over flicking apps around with your finger if they cant get apps that truly impress, no matter how many of them they can run at the same time.

I bought an iPod 3G 2 months after I got my Pre and have gotten about 10x more use out of it. And it doesnt have always-on connectivity.
    Sure...a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by joemango View Post
    OK ******* lay off. He has a point. I'm bored with my pre as well. I bought it in early July and it HAS been kind of boring. I'll forgive the litle problems that have popped up like email not working occasionally and the odd crash, but the apps, frankly, suck.

Aside from the neat way that WebOS handles stuff it is a major disappointment. No video, not even crappy video. I would have liked at least crappy video to start with. For pete's sake, the browser didn't even handle ANIMATED GIFS until just last week.

Here's my take on CES: Show some 3d games or at least 2d games with fluid, animated graphics to show that this OS can handle serious apps, or Palm is gone by the end of the year. Having a phone with the same or better specs as the iPhone 3GS is useless if the OS cripples the developers to Javascript-level programming. This is their chance to show that they are a serious contender in the app space. That's what it's about at this point. People aren't going to oooh and ahhh over flicking apps around with your finger if they cant get apps that truly impress, no matter how many of them they can run at the same time.

I bought an iPod 3G 2 months after I got my Pre and have gotten about 10x more use out of it. And it doesnt have always-on connectivity.
    I love these hate posts. They're like some horrible accident you can't look away from. Folks are far too religious about their technology.

The answer is simple: If it doesn't do what you want. Get rid of it for the product you DO want. but hey keep writing these posts (apparently you have been doing it since 2004?) I love em!
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    How can you be bored when every month or so you have to clear out all your patches, update and re-apply...or even Doctor it! There's always something to do!

Seriously though I love my Pre, especially that it's so easy to get to the guts of it and do whatever you want.

Everyday or so there is new official apps rolling out, as well as all the goodness from the homebrew community

And if you get really bored you can do some easy things (thanks to the homebrew folks) like getting NES and Gameboy (Color) up and running. If you are really bored, start developing!
    I've never had a problem with email not working, never had a crash that I couldn't blame on myself. Still waiting on someone to explain this whole apps suck theory.

Never been one for cell phone videos. So I'm giving it a pretty big meh on my end. That important to you? Okay. I'll give that to you. As far as animated gifs. . .really. What year is this? How important are animated gifs in daily web browsing? I didn't even realize they weren't supported until I saw the release notes.

So now gaming is what proves an OS can handle serious apps. Games are not serious apps. They are fun. I'm not looking at the Pre or webOS for mobile gaming and why should I? I don't feel Palm has to prove themseves with gaming.

Oh, and look! Another doomsday prediction!

So did you buy an iPhone 3G or an iPod Touch?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    To all you naysayers, it certainly is possible that the OP has had a Pre for a year. This picture was taken a year ago so if you're this guy, you have had a Pre for a year and could, indeed, be bored with it, although this would have much wider implications beyond this thread. I'm just sayin...

well I did buy it in 2009 which was last year. so now that its 2010
    yes I bought it a year ago "last year"
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glynnmi View Post
    I love these hate posts. They're like some horrible accident you can't look away from. Folks are far too religious about their technology.
    OK first, it's not hate. I like the Pre and want it to succeed, along with Palm. I'm just pointing out the reality of the situation. If Palm doesn't step up with the apps, it doesn't matter how many cheerleaders they have, they wont sell enough phones or apps to survive. Simple business. We can't make Palm's balance sheet change with warm fuzzy feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by glynnmi View Post
    The answer is simple: If it doesn't do what you want. Get rid of it for the product you DO want. but hey keep writing these posts (apparently you have been doing it since 2004?) I love em!
    I got the Pre because:

A) My Treo 700p was getting old and I wanted a new smartphone, preferrably a Palm.
    2) It was given to me for my birthday, and I had been drooling over it since CES last year. I was convinced that Flash and Video were "on the way soon".
    d) I am a happy 10-year Sprint customer and was not about to change networks.

And to counter your point about "just get something else", I don't have hundreds of dollars to just throw around on a new phone, especially when i'm in a contract and don't want to change carriers or pay a premium. Cell phones these days, especially smartphones, are not quite the impulse buy you seem to think they are. Bt if things don't change by July I'll certainly be looking at Android.

I'm posting this because IT'S RELEVANT TO THE TOPIC, and I have something to say. I've been a Treocentral/Precentral member since Dec. 2004 when the Treo 650 came out. Have you looked at all of my posts and made a qualitative assessment of their content? No? Have anything to add besides "Stop complaining!!!"? No? Then STFU. Thanks.
  13.    #13  
    Well anyways I stated my opinion and you can hate it or troll and be a smart *** but I know in not alone.
    And towards apps like IFART and burping, sound board apps lol come-on are they just trying to fill the app cat to make their marks or whatever. And homebrew is great but if you want to have buggy or spend most of the time doctoring your pre go for it...
    and for you UnitdyGuy good to hear you can stay on the wagon for a few days :P
    Last edited by upperking; 01/06/2010 at 12:55 PM.
    I'm posting this because IT'S RELEVANT TO THE TOPIC, and I have something to say. I've been a Treocentral/Precentral member since Dec. 2004 when the Treo 650 came out. Have you looked at all of my posts and made a qualitative assessment of their content? No? Have anything to add besides "Stop complaining!!!"? No? Then STFU. Thanks.
    Well, I have looked at all of your posts, three to be exact in which two are in this thread. I have made a qualitative assessment of their content. Not much content to judge. . .

You main complaint seems to be about a "feature" that was never pushed as a key purpose of the Pre. Gaming. Never have I seen the Pre marketed as a mobile gaming device yet you claim that it will have to show some sort of amazing 2d or 3d potential at CES to survive.

Should Palm devote their full focus into making the Pre a mobile gaming device? Hell no. Should they open the current hardware up to make it possible for the third parties out there to show their skills? Sure, why not? Will I be ****ed at all if I don't get to play some sweet 3d game on my Pre. Nope, not in the least. If I want to play some sweet 3d game, I'm going to buy a dedicated device that will play sweet 3d games, not a cell phone.
  15.    #15  
    hey I am a little new here but have also been with sprint for over ten years
    member of SU forums for 9 years
    and I have owned every smartphone sprint has ever sold!!
    so I think my opinion should hold a little weight..
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by artitumis View Post
    I've never had a problem with email not working, never had a crash that I couldn't blame on myself. Still waiting on someone to explain this whole apps suck theory.
    On the average I give the apps a B-, given the limited amount of time average devs have had with the OS. There are no catalog apps that can bang the hardware yet, and absolutely NO "killer apps" that I can identify. Unless you're a british soccer fan. I do like Word Ace, though.

Never been one for cell phone videos. So I'm giving it a pretty big meh on my end. That important to you? Okay. I'll give that to you. As far as animated gifs. . .really. What year is this? How important are animated gifs in daily web browsing? I didn't even realize they weren't supported until I saw the release notes.
    Animated GIFS are an integral part of the web. They have been around since well before the Internet was publically available. One of the websites I go to daily is Weather Underground, which has a GIF animated weather radar dsplay. Not being able to use this feature was a huge downer, and completely unacceptable in my book. Even the Accuweather app didnt have moving radar. My best friend who is a senior level programmer feels exactly the same way.

So now gaming is what proves an OS can handle serious apps. Games are not serious apps. They are fun. I'm not looking at the Pre or webOS for mobile gaming and why should I? I don't feel Palm has to prove themseves with gaming.
    Gaming apps are a good way to gauge the power of a given platform. To be honest I am more of an 8-bit gamer (MAME, etc) so I don't have a Need For Speed. But they reveal how well an OS can handle multimedia and advanced programming techniques. It's a watermark, not an end-all solution. What I really want (and which is a fairly simple app, but impossible given the current SDK) is an audio spectrum analyzer I can use in my line of work (sound engineer). Got that the first day I got my iPod touch 3g, and use it constantly.

Oh, and look! Another doomsday prediction!
    We'll all be dead by 2100. Mark my words.

So did you buy an iPhone 3G or an iPod Touch?
    iPod Touch 3G. The new one that didn't come with a camera (GRRR). I got it because I need an MP3 player that ISN'T my phone, and was missing out on a lot of really cool apps. It really is nice. I have my complaints about it as well, but i'm not going to cloud the web with them, because many people have made the same arguments repeatedly.

Again, i'm not condemning the Pre or Palm, just commenting that they had better get this stuff right soon or their 3% mindshare is going to drop even further, and cute phones won't help it anymore. I want to be a cheerleader but I need something to really cheer about. I learned my lesson about being a Fan Boy with the Amiga.
    /...
    If your phone is your primary source of entertainment, then you really need to get out more... keep the phone and get a hobby.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by max.swell View Post
    If your phone is your primary source of entertainment, then you really need to get out more... keep the phone and get a hobby.
    Lol i have to many hobbies
    want to see a video when I strapped one of my phones upto a rc plane and shot video

I have tons of other hobbies and sometimes I include my phone :P
    but my poor pre wont be taking any rides in the air anytime soon "no video"
    Last edited by upperking; 01/06/2010 at 01:17 PM.
    .....and I have owned every smartphone sprint has ever sold!!
    Ya me too! I mean, haven't we all?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Ya me too! I mean, haven't we all?
    Yeah maybe thats my problem :P
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast