1.    #1  
    Is there a way (homebrew, etc) to go online while on a call without wifi?
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    No, it's a limitation of CDMA, not WebOS.

edit: I am assuming you are on Sprint. If you are with a GSM carrier, you should be able to.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    No, it's a limitation of CDMA, not WebOS.

edit: I am assuming you are on Sprint. If you are with a GSM carrier, you should be able to.
    Thanks. Any idea if 4G CDMA fixes this issue?
    Id hardly consider it an issue because while gsm can do this they also have overall slower data
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Thanks. Any idea if 4G CDMA fixes this issue?
    4G is not on CDMA. The intent to bring 4G to CDMA was dropped in favor of LTE. 4G in the US currently is limited to the 802.16e mobile version of WiMax . Not the same beast. But, yes, if our phones had it, it would be the same as having a WiFi signal and you could do both.
    Last edited by ponyfool; 01/05/2010 at 06:47 PM.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    hmmm thats strange because according to this Sprint | News Release: Sprint Extends 4G Leadership by Announcing Next U.S. Markets to Experience Sprint 4G sprint already has 4G and is the first carrier to have it as well is still rolling it out and their of course CDMA.
    Well technically ponyfool is correct. There are two 4G specifications in use today: WiMax, and LTE. Sprint is going with WiMax. Pretty much every other carrier in the US and most of the world are going with LTE.

Sprint is a CDMA carrier, but WiMax is not a CDMA technology. Unlike LTE, which is quite similar to GSM in design, WiMax does not resemble CDMA at all. Put simply, it is WiFi on steroids.

pnyfool is also correct in that a Pre with WiMax capabilites would be able to do voice and data over the Sprint networks at the same time.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
    Since this is my pet peeve: If Sprint continues using WiMax as a 4G service then I will switch as soon as the first LTE devices come out and be happy to watch Sprint whither away as a legacy carrier.

Sprint is already stuck with an awful legacy CDMA network that limits our choice and makes international phones impossible. If they mess up even more by sticking with non-standard WiMax then they deserve all of the incompatibility and subscriber loss that they will attract.

I'm still hopefully that Sprint is only delaying their inevitable switch to LTE. They have tested LTE phones internally so that's a good sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Id hardly consider it an issue because while gsm can do this they also have overall slower data
    I live in NYC, my Pre failed to produce comparable results at mobilespeedtest.com compared to both of my friend's iPhones and my other friends Droid. The iPhones were fastest. So I'm not sure where you get the idea that GSM is slower...?
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesCarnley View Post
    Since this is my pet peeve: If Sprint continues using WiMax as a 4G service then I will switch as soon as the first LTE devices come out and be happy to watch Sprint whither away as a legacy carrier.

Sprint is already stuck with an awful legacy CDMA network that limits our choice and makes international phones impossible. If they mess up even more by sticking with non-standard WiMax then they deserve all of the incompatibility and subscriber loss that they will attract.

I'm still hopefully that Sprint is only delaying their inevitable switch to LTE. They have tested LTE phones internally so that's a good sign.
    I cant remember where i read it, but when pressed on this point by some journalist, Hesse said something like, our commitment to wimax technology is strong, but as the world looks to adopt LTE we have made sure that a switch between Wimax and LTE would be software based and very painless...

I'm certain he said something along those lines. He even took some heat for it by tech rags, because it sounds as though they have already started making changes in case Wimax turns into an albatross.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by willxcore View Post
    I live in NYC, my Pre failed to produce comparable results at mobilespeedtest.com compared to both of my friend's iPhones and my other friends Droid. The iPhones were fastest. So I'm not sure where you get the idea that GSM is slower...?
    general speed tests like this are worthless. Saying Gsm is slower is like saying you can get to syracuse from rochester faster in a plane than a car. What if you have to wait for the plane and it doesn't leave for 3 hours? (its a 1 1/2 hour drive)

in rochester, I tethered a jailbroken iphone3gs to my pre through mytether. Speed was 2.5 mbs down

on atts 3g the speeds were like 1mb down or something like that...i posted it here back then...
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Sprint= Faster data, better priced plans. Verizon= Better coverage, slower data and overpricded plans. ATT&T= Over priced plans and slower data.. You have to pick your poison..
    How many times have you seen the Dr.?..lol