1.    #1  
    Has anyone figured out how to watch a video that has been mailed to you on the pre
    I would like to know too.
    The Pre doesn't support .wmv files at this time, sent via email or otherwise.
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
  4. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    is there a list of formats it does support?
    I'm really really reeeeeally hoping that Palm comes up with support for .wma/.wmv files at some point soon. My voicemail from work and home gets sent to me in .wma file format - not to mention lots of vids from friends. Its amazing to me how many .wmv files I get in a day. We have one 'call-center' at work that sends voicemails out in a supported format (non-.wmv) and I am able to simply tap the 'attachment' in my email and listen to the voicemail... its an awesome time-saver! But with no .wmv files not supported, it's a drag to have this advanced phone and not be able to use a cool feature.

I guess we'll see what the future holds!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 02/13/2010 at 04:02 PM.
    From Palms support site:

Watch a video
    To get videos on your phone, you can do either of the following:

■Copy videos from your computer.
    ■Receive videos as email attachments.
    You can view videos in the MPEG4, H.263, H.264, MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3GPP, 3G2, and 3GP2 formats. Videos play on your phone in landscape orientation.

Feel free to hit thanks
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    they probably have to pay microsoft to license the codecs
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
  8. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilthePilot View Post
    From Palms support site:

Watch a video
    To get videos on your phone, you can do either of the following:

■Copy videos from your computer.
    ■Receive videos as email attachments.
    You can view videos in the MPEG4, H.263, H.264, MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3GPP, 3G2, and 3GP2 formats. Videos play on your phone in landscape orientation.

Feel free to hit thanks

Thanks. But I have no idea what those formats mean. Are there any common extensions those cross reference to? I usually think of wmv, avi, divx, mpg, flv, etc
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by mk3 View Post
    Thanks. But I have no idea what those formats mean. Are there any common extensions those cross reference to? I usually think of wmv, avi, divx, mpg, flv, etc
    From the Palm Website:
    Media formats supported

Audio formats: MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR, QCELP, WAV
    Video formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264

If you don't know what any of those file/container types are, you should do some studying up on it (Google is your friend). Read the Handbreak site for reference.
    Generally speaking, if you can play the video on an ipod (unprotected file of course) then you can play it on the Pre.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Achill3s View Post
    Generally speaking, if you can play the video on an ipod then you can play it on the Pre.
    cause an ipod is such a universally useful device. Not!
    i'm not having a dig at you specifically, cause i have and use a lot of apple devices, but they are the last bits of hardware to hold up as compatible with the rest of the world.

i too am surprised there is not a better video player for the pre, VLC anyone?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3