Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know this sounds crazy but just think of how awesome it would be if the pre (and pixi) ran a zune infused version of webOS. Palm and MS are both in trouble in the smartphone arena and they're both great companies but MS needs a webOS type of platform and palm needs help ($$$) in order to continue evolving their "game changing" platform.
    I think you are smoking your lunch LOL! Microsoft is about the most non-user friendly company out there. The Pre is the best for ease of use so microsoft would destory this. IMO anyway
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Also I can't imagine any type of open source or homebrew scene if MS was to acquire Palm. While Microsoft is making efforts to step into the Open Source community... it is nothing major.
    id rather have a phone that does everything and is not open source than one that needs other people to fix. lol. I think microsoft and palm would give iphone a run. If they somehow connected it to xbox and xbox live gammers would love it.
    what i'd like to see is the amazon mp3 app reved up more into an itunes like store. i.e. palm and amazon should get together. now we'd need a client like mediamonkey or something palm and amazon could create themselves.
    I agree with this thread. Ms. And palm would be a perfect match and plus they could learn from each other a little bit. If that happened then we have ourselves the best phone.
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    Also I can't imagine any type of open source or homebrew scene if MS was to acquire Palm. While Microsoft is making efforts to step into the Open Source community... it is nothing major.
    What are you talking about? People have been open sourcing MS products for years. There are countless ROMS and other homebrewed apps for WinMo. XP, Vista and now Win 7 were stripped almost on release. I for one would think it would be a great idea. MS could swallow up Palm, pump some much needed money, manpower, and brains into it. With more money for marketing, multiple carriers and the MS stamp we may just get the perfect smartphone. I for one would be all over it.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    I think a lot of people would drop their Pre's or Pixies if Palm were acquired by Mickeysoft.

And given that Zune doesn't really seem to have turned into an Ipod killer, that analogy isn't really the .best
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    Guess i would have to agree with the zune/ipod analogy. Funny thing is, the zune never really took off like planned but in my opinion was a all around better product than the iPod. This is coming from someone who is on his 6th iPod and 2nd Zune. The Zune had a larger/better screen, better audio quality, and wifi, plus FM/AM tuner.
    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    It might not be open source or called homebrew, but check out PPCgeeks.com and XDAdevelopers for windows mobile. They are as much in the guts of WinMo as WebOSinternals is for our Pre.

nb
    If the power of WinMo had a WebOS style launcher/management system, WinMo would be a serious contender.

i just don't see Ballmer leading WebOS to greatness. I see him letting it be stifled under the sheer weight of WinMo's stodgy legacy.

nb
    i disagree with the merge with MS. i am a mac OS X/linux true to heart person and just thinking of there merge is just pure evil. The reason i state mac os x is because the core foundation of mac is debian/bsd-unix and the pre is a linux based os and why would we have open source step foot into a company who demands copyright protection on everything. no more sharing, no more open source. even MS phones break down even there operating systems havent been good for some time. As for the words Ms and user friendly, those to words will NEVER work together. just my option.
    I for one would drop Palm like a bad habit after being with them around 10 years. I like the ability to make up my own mind and purchase a new Palm because I want to. I will never buy a new model because I have to. I believe that when you purchase something it should work or you take advantage of a warranty. I can't stand that you purchase windows XX and shortly there after buy XXX because it may work. Wake up people. Microsoft stinks when it comes to helping out the average "joe" with great product the might work the way intended. And control? you all think Apple has control over iPhone. Huh... wait and see what Microsoft would do. Oh yea, one more thing. Getting rid of Palm. Great less choice. And just when webOS was waking up. Doesn't anyone cheer for the underdog anymore. And they are giving YOU their heart and soul.
  14.    #14  
    I don't care about having an iphone killer. I couldn't really care about an iphone to be honest. I just wish Palm had a little help from MS in some sort of joint development venture. MS could license some of palm's interface and concepts while palm would be able to afford to stay in business. I think the two companies could do something revolutionary. Will it happen? Probably not. Palm is definitely doing better than last year but I think they should focus more on webOS and have another manufacturer focus on the hardware (like google and htc). I know MS Doesn't make phones but they've got deals with manufacturers that would love to sell a webMS hybrid. WinMo that doesn't need a task manager or a Palm device with a Tegra chip... Power smartphones. That's all i'm saying. I hope the next Pre is faster but more importantly gets out of the gate as a finished and well thought out product from both a hardware and software side.
    Quote Originally Posted by klbjr View Post
    What are you talking about? People have been open sourcing MS products for years. There are countless ROMS and other homebrewed apps for WinMo. XP, Vista and now Win 7 were stripped almost on release. I for one would think it would be a great idea. MS could swallow up Palm, pump some much needed money, manpower, and brains into it. With more money for marketing, multiple carriers and the MS stamp we may just get the perfect smartphone. I for one would be all over it.
    None of Microsoft's OS' are open source. Just because people develop custom applications for WinMo, it doesn't mean it is open source.

Open Source: of or relating to or being computer software for which the source code is freely available.
    As far as i know, Linux is the only open source OS ( whether it be Ubuntu or webOS ).

I agree with the others in the thread: Instead of how Palm made it easier for homebrew ( ie: changing the Developer Mode code ) i'm willing to bet MS would have tried to find ways to complete stop it, just like Apple does with the Jailbreaks.
    I think Nokia will make a play to buy Palm before the end of 2010.

Microsoft would rather push their own. I absolutly love my Zune, but I can't do Windows Mobile in it's current form.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    As far as i know, Linux is the only open source OS ( whether it be Ubuntu or webOS ).
    BSD has been open source about as long as Linux has been around, but there were portions of BSD that AT&T (and their successors) owned and didn't want the source distributed.
    Does the OP hate Palm? Why would they want MS to buy/ruin Palm? Yikes! lol
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by angiest View Post
    BSD has been open source about as long as Linux has been around, but there were portions of BSD that AT&T (and their successors) owned and didn't want the source distributed.
    Not too familiar with BSD in particular. The point i was trying to make though, was that no Microsoft OS is Open Source.
    **** on MS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That has got to be the worst idea EVER ! !! Anything that MS gets their hands on ends up turning into a worthless POS.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast