Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    This has probably been asked before, but how long can I wait before I'm forced by Palm to update to the new OS?

I haven't had time to do the necessary clean up to be able to (more) safely update.

Thanks in advance. Mac
    SPRINT / PALM will push the update over the course of the next couple of days. Usually when the system isn't heavily loaded while we sleep. Clean up before it gets pushed.
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Thanks. I figured it would get pushed at night. I've been 'airplaning' my Pre when in bed to be safer. I wasn't sure how long Big Brother would give me. I'll try to get it going tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMacs View Post
    Thanks. I figured it would get pushed at night. I've been 'airplaning' my Pre when in bed to be safer. I wasn't sure how long Big Brother would give me. I'll try to get it going tonight.
    Just to make it easy,

1.) Remove/un-install all themes
    2.) Update Preware to the newest Package Manager
    3.) Run the Emergency Migration Helper tool in Preware
    4.) Run the Emergency Patch Removal tool
    5.) Then download/apply the 1.3.5 update.

This, of course assumes that you have Preware and Patches and homebrew apps installed.
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Thanks MilenkoD.

Just so I'm clear, I don't need to manually remove/uninstall Patches?

1. Done.
    2. Done (v0.9.27 right?)
    3. Saw this earlier. Guess I can do it now, if I want.
    4. Is this the same as Emergency Patch Recovery? I don't see Emergency Patch Removal in Preware.

Another (dumb) question - Do I have to manually add all the patches back after updating?
    Thanks MilenkoD.

Just so I'm clear, I don't need to manually remove/uninstall Patches?

1. Done.
    2. Done (v0.9.27 right?)
    yes...that's the right one.

3. Saw this earlier. Guess I can do it now, if I want.
    If you have ANY homebrew apps, you need to run the Emergengy Migration Helper tool. It moves the app from the /var into the USB partition. It's recommended to do it before 1.3.5. The webOS update only migrates App Catalog apps. Also, if you have a homebrew app installed that graduated to the app catalog, the webOS update still thinks it's a homebrew and will not migrate it. Thus you will get an update error and it'll keep asking you to restart the Pre....far less hassle if you run the EMH before 1.3.5.
    4. Is this the same as Emergency Patch Recovery? I don't see Emergency Patch Removal in Preware.
    Yes, we're talking about the same tool...just called it by the worng name.
    Another (dumb) question - Do I have to manually add all the patches back after updating?
    Yes, you have to add them back manually.
    Global Posts
    133 Global Posts
    Thanks MilenkoD.

Do I have to manually add all the patches back after updating?
    Before you run Emergency Patch Recovery, list your installed patches in Preware and take screen shots of each page using Orange + Sym + P. It took three screen shots to list the patches I had installed.

• Run Emergency Patch Recovery.
    • Upgrade to 1.3.5.
    • Go to the photo application and display your list of patches.
    • Go to Preware list the available patches alphabetically. Make sure you get the latest updated feeds.
    • It helps if you have advanced gestures turned on so you can go back and forth between Preware and the Photo app.
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Aaron91RS - Updates are set to 'off', but I'll grudgingly move on.

tannyo - I thought of this too, after I tried to hi-lite the text to copy/paste to text. Didn't work. I just typed them into an excel file on my desktop. Thought that'd be quicker than taking pics/going back and forth.

MilenkoD - thanks. Have a bunch of homebrews too.

Hope it goes smooth. Have my fingers crossed. Won't get home 'till late as it is, might be tomorrow (e.g. after midnight) before I get to this.
    Hope it goes smooth. Have my fingers crossed. Won't get home 'till late as it is, might be tomorrow (e.g. after midnight) before I get to this.
    I had major reservations that it would work too since I upgraded aout of sequence. I was prepared to Doctor my Pre and start fresh. I just followed the posts of everything I needed to do and it worked perfect (much to my suprise). It should go smoothly.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Actually you can halt the new update until you hit the install button.

The Pre will download the new update then after you'll be asked to install now or later.

I haven't install mine since the release.
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    What about VKeyboard does the Emergency Patch Removal take care of this or can I leave it on there?
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    Thanks all for the guidance! Update went very smoothly (albeit late into the night)... Only 2 patches not working, and one regular (not very essential) app didn't 'upgrade'. I'll work on them later.
    Global Posts
    616 Global Posts
    texasjack - I too had the virt keyboard, EPR took it out, but didn't reload it yet, so I can't comment.