Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
       #1  
    I was fairly disappointed with the android review of WebOS. He seems to point out a lot of things he doesnt like about WebOS, then just generealizes that Android is better at those things.

    1) He says the keyboard is terrible. Well, for starters--I have heard near 100% dislike for the Droid's keyboard. In fact, I used my buddies while we were playing poker the other night. It seems like they didnt have anyone actually test out their keyboard design. It is IMPOSSIBLE to type with one hand. Extremely annoying on a mobile phone. Also, I have had the Pre since launch and it never bothered me. He must have fat fingers. I can see how it would be difficult with fat fingers.

    winner - Pre.

    2) He actually says the Pre is comparable to the G1 in the final paragraph. talk about really leaving your readers with a bad impression. The G1 is barely even a smartphone. That is a joke. Come down off your high horse. The Pre is comparable to your current flagship device, the Droid. And ahead in many places.

    3) He points out that the Pre is slow. Again, has anyone here actually used a Droid? The thing is slow as mollasses. I tried loading a youtube video on the Droid, and it took about 30 sec. The user interface might be snappier, but this guy needs to patch up his Pre with what I'm using, because mine is much snappier than that Droid.

    4) This is my favorite example his poor review. He stresses that the lack of battery life on the Pre would be a deal-killer for him, making it nothing more than a "paper weight." Well, fortuitous reviewer, at that poker game the other night--ya, that one where my budddy had the Droid out---well, he also had his charger with him too. He commented on how he has to carry his charger everywhere with him now. I have to charge often as well, but I dont want to be hypocrytical like you. At least I can do it in style, wirelessly.


    Me thinks he played with WebOS for a few days and has seen the light. He's afraid more android users will as well. Thats ok though, you cant stifle innovation Chris. I wouldnt want to let all those users know how good it is if I had a website over there either.
  2. #2  
    One of the problems with all of these RoundRobin reviews is they are using a Themed Pre that probably has patches on it as well. Everyone knows that stock Pre is the fastest and most stable Pre.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  3. #3  
    I though he was very complimentary and it was a decent review from a slanted source. If he had been on 1.3.5 maybe he wouldn't have complained about the battery and lag as much.
  4. #4  
    Wasn't it Bobby Knight that said "opinions are like a**holes, everybody's got one"?

    I happy with my Pre, and he's happy with his Android.
  5. #5  
    you're ranting over 2 or three paragraphs of the entire article.

    1. since the droid keyboard sucks the pre keyboard can't? android has more than one phone/keyboard. see pics of htc hero.
    2. please expand on "many places" that he didn't cover. he seemed to give praise to lots of webos features he wish android had
    3. pre can't be slow because droid is slower? the ui might be snappier but if he patches up his pre?
    4. his opinion on battery life should be disregarded but you only have one example of a buddy saying he carries his charger around. then state that you also have to?

    i think its funny that you rip one mans review then back up your argument with only one opinion on the phone. any reason your passion for this phone couldn't convince your buddy to buy the pre? im sure you talked it up to him.
  6. #6  
    well, I consider my pre barely a smartphone. Had since launch, and the webos has absolutely no depth to it at all. Coming from many other smart devices, the pre is probably the dumbest. But it does handle the card system well and really has a nice flow to it, and is still pretty much a framework os,imo, like the g1.
    Also, just got my gf a moment, and the android os blows the shoes off our current iteration of webos, period, anyone who would argue hasn't spent much time with one. It's also faster, but has it's moments of lag. The app store is incredible also, not just silly games, but actual tools, things that are useful and free, while my pre wants 3 bucks to fart.
    I'm really considering jumping ship myself, the only reason I haven't is because of the pre's size and form. And having been with palm for a long, long time, I really am trying to give them the benifit of the doubt.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    One of the problems with all of these RoundRobin reviews is they are using a Themed Pre that probably has patches on it as well. Everyone knows that stock Pre is the fastest and most stable Pre.
    Problem there is simple, a stock pre wouldn't be able to compete with other devices, as most of it's features would become disabled. And thats Palm's fault.
  8. #8  
    I think it was a pretty favorable review of WebOS. Being an editor of an Android forum, it would have been pretty stupid of him not to discuss how the Droid and Hero might be "better." But it seemed like he genuinely was impressed with the Pre and wouldn't mind making the switch in the future.
  9. #9  
    1. Lots of phone keyboards need 2 hands. Although it is nice to be able to type with only 1, it's not a dealbreaker. Even if the guy does have fat fingers, it's a childish remark. mobile keyboards really only have 2 options. A robust keyboard that fits most american hands, or a small profile that is less obtrusive with typically slower typing speed.
    2. The Pre has some awesome features, but still needs lots of work. Android on the other hand has the benefit of being in the field for longer. There are more apps for android and the dev community has been able to work with that OS for a longer period of time. And you have to give it to google, the method of taking a picture of a barcode, and having your phone auto-download it is pretty intuitive. Pull up the app on your phone, have your buddy scan your code and he has your app now, or paste it on a forum then scan.
    3. Youtube is a bad example of speed. You are at the mercy of the carrier, which doesn't make the phone bad, but more the service provider.
    4. We all know that the Pre's battery life is pretty bad in comparison to other phones, however we don't know the extent at which your friend uses his device. But you are correct about charging, the Pre's alternate charging method is pretty kick ***.
    Pre also has a pretty nice camera on it, which from what I hear, the droid camera isn't very great.
  10. piaband's Avatar
    Posts
    275 Posts
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by surfhi View Post
    you're ranting over 2 or three paragraphs of the entire article.

    1. since the droid keyboard sucks the pre keyboard can't? android has more than one phone/keyboard. see pics of htc hero.
    2. please expand on "many places" that he didn't cover. he seemed to give praise to lots of webos features he wish android had
    3. pre can't be slow because droid is slower? the ui might be snappier but if he patches up his pre?
    4. his opinion on battery life should be disregarded but you only have one example of a buddy saying he carries his charger around. then state that you also have to?

    i think its funny that you rip one mans review then back up your argument with only one opinion on the phone. any reason your passion for this phone couldn't convince your buddy to buy the pre? im sure you talked it up to him.
    well 1. I don't care if he points out the Pres faults. If you read my post, you would undeestand it was that he inferred that these were problems the drid did not have.

    2. I had no idea that my buddy bought a new phone until he showed up with it..it is xmas time and we don't see each other that often. So..ur wrong twice. I don't feel like reading the rest of ur garbage
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteman100 View Post
    I think it was a pretty favorable review of WebOS. Being an editor of an Android forum, it would have been pretty stupid of him not to discuss how the Droid and Hero might be "better." But it seemed like he genuinely was impressed with the Pre and wouldn't mind making the switch in the future.
    I agree, personally I don't think the Pre is great in its current incarnation. However, it has the potential to be one of the best phones out there, if not the best. It's hardware is awesome, layout is pretty good (although manufacturing QA could use a swift kick), and from what the app community has done so far, we know it's applications can be great too.
    There are few things holding it back, and it probably boils down to funding. Currently Palm is still struggling when it comes to money. It would be great if Palm would get bought out by another company. However, most other companies in the cell market would rather see them die, and the competition go away. Google has Android and plans to stick with it for a long time, Microsoft has WM7 coming out and have been promoting it too much to buy another competitor.

    I just hope Palm can keep on the up and up and make it through the next few years, but their dev's need to be hard pressed to make quality changes, and with limited funds (translates into limited pay for them), it's a hard pill to swallow.
  12. #12  
    Casey is still quite objective & open minded. If you want jerks, wait for review from Crackberry Kevin & iPhone Renee. One of them even write in the review that he is supposed to be biased to his platform of choice in his review. Yeah, try do those iPhone gestures on the Nokia now and complain when it doesn't work.
    This week is Kevin's turn on webOS right? Has he manage to learn how to use a touchscreen phone with a physical keyboard yet? That's an art he hasn't been able to manage during previous couple of years reviews. Not on any WM phones, or PalmOS phone. Hint to Kevin: it's an OR. Physical keys OR touchscreen whichever is more convenient at the time or your preference.
  13. #13  
    all I can say is I love the precentral community, and no matter what anyone says as long as I know I have the best phone in the world I'm good. I dont need to prove it to anyone else
    Treo 700wx > Treo 755p > Treo 800w > IPhone 3g > Treo Pro > Palm Pre
  14. #14  
    I was able to get my hands on the new Droid the other day, I only found one downfall after about an hour messing around on it. The physical keyboards direction pad is a real inconvenience for using the keyboard. You really have to stretch your right thumb. Luckily, the on screen keyboard works great because the screen is massive. It really is a great device, but I love my card multi-tasking too much to leave the Pre. My buddy showed me the droid multi-tasking, wasn't too impressed with the process, but it seems to work.
    Thank me if I helped you.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantHeppes View Post
    I was able to get my hands on the new Droid the other day, I only found one downfall after about an hour messing around on it. The physical keyboards direction pad is a real inconvenience for using the keyboard. You really have to stretch your right thumb. Luckily, the on screen keyboard works great because the screen is massive. It really is a great device, but I love my card multi-tasking too much to leave the Pre. My buddy showed me the droid multi-tasking, wasn't too impressed with the process, but it seems to work.
    My cousin got it because he's on verizon... The multitasking is more like a task manager althought that is true multitasking nothing will compare to the pres card view
    Treo 700wx > Treo 755p > Treo 800w > IPhone 3g > Treo Pro > Palm Pre
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    i was fairly disappointed with the android review of webos. He seems to point out a lot of things he doesnt like about webos, then just generealizes that android is better at those things.

    1) he says the keyboard is terrible. Well, for starters--i have heard near 100% dislike for the droid's keyboard. In fact, i used my buddies while we were playing poker the other night. It seems like they didnt have anyone actually test out their keyboard design. It is impossible to type with one hand. Extremely annoying on a mobile phone. Also, i have had the pre since launch and it never bothered me. He must have fat fingers. I can see how it would be difficult with fat fingers.

    Winner - pre.

    2) he actually says the pre is comparable to the g1 in the final paragraph. Talk about really leaving your readers with a bad impression. The g1 is barely even a smartphone. That is a joke. Come down off your high horse. The pre is comparable to your current flagship device, the droid. And ahead in many places.

    3) he points out that the pre is slow. Again, has anyone here actually used a droid? The thing is slow as mollasses. I tried loading a youtube video on the droid, and it took about 30 sec. The user interface might be snappier, but this guy needs to patch up his pre with what i'm using, because mine is much snappier than that droid.

    4) this is my favorite example his poor review. He stresses that the lack of battery life on the pre would be a deal-killer for him, making it nothing more than a "paper weight." well, fortuitous reviewer, at that poker game the other night--ya, that one where my budddy had the droid out---well, he also had his charger with him too. He commented on how he has to carry his charger everywhere with him now. I have to charge often as well, but i dont want to be hypocrytical like you. At least i can do it in style, wirelessly.


    Me thinks he played with webos for a few days and has seen the light. He's afraid more android users will as well. Thats ok though, you cant stifle innovation chris. I wouldnt want to let all those users know how good it is if i had a website over there either.
    +262346551346
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    The app store is incredible also, not just silly games, but actual tools, things that are useful and free, while my pre wants 3 bucks to fart.
    I'll fart for three bucks.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

    Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
  18. #18  
    sounds to me like this wasn't an honest review. You pretty much gave anything equal to the pre. You are welcome to ur own opinion but don't play this off like it is an objective review.

    waste of time

    sound familiar?


    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    well 1. I don't care if he points out the Pres faults. If you read my post, you would undeestand it was that he inferred that these were problems the drid did not have.
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post

    I was fairly disappointed with the android review of WebOS. He seems to point out a lot of things he doesnt like about WebOS, then just generealizes that Android is better at those things.

    1) He says the keyboard is terrible. Well, for starters--I have heard near 100% dislike for the Droid's keyboard. In fact, I used my buddies while we were playing poker the other night. It seems like they didnt have anyone actually test out their keyboard design. It is IMPOSSIBLE to type with one hand. Extremely annoying on a mobile phone. Also, I have had the Pre since launch and it never bothered me. He must have fat fingers. I can see how it would be difficult with fat fingers.
    first sentence of keyboard paragraph: "We know we don't have the greatest of keyboards on the Android platform"
    and later
    "the Pixi's keyboard, though smaller than the Pre's, was much easier to use. It's easy to pick up, gives a satisfying click, and we can thumb type with no problem. Maybe the fact that the keyboard is on a flat slab helps the performance? Either way, typing on the Pixi gave us no problems.."

    real winner -- pixi

    again if you don't like droids keyboard buy the hero, or the nexus one. or the dozens of other keyboards coming out.

    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post

    2) He actually says the Pre is comparable to the G1 in the final paragraph. talk about really leaving your readers with a bad impression. The G1 is barely even a smartphone. That is a joke. Come down off your high horse. The Pre is comparable to your current flagship device, the Droid. And ahead in many places.
    16gb vs 8gb
    5.0 camera vs 3.0 camera
    voice commands vs none
    20,000 apps vs 1,000 apps

    please expand on "many places"

    article states: "the Pre is in a similar position to the T-Mobile G1 last year." meaning not as many apps and less support. overall looked down upon when compared to iphone. much like the pre is now. get it?

    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    3) He points out that the Pre is slow. Again, has anyone here actually used a Droid? The thing is slow as mollasses. I tried loading a youtube video on the Droid, and it took about 30 sec. The user interface might be snappier, but this guy needs to patch up his Pre with what I'm using, because mine is much snappier than that Droid.
    need to patch pre's potential to become what a stock droid's reality is. again your response to a hypocritical review isn't facts, it's your one user opinion of your friends phone.

    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    4) This is my favorite example his poor review. He stresses that the lack of battery life on the Pre would be a deal-killer for him, making it nothing more than a "paper weight." Well, fortuitous reviewer, at that poker game the other night--ya, that one where my budddy had the Droid out---well, he also had his charger with him too. He commented on how he has to carry his charger everywhere with him now. I have to charge often as well, but I dont want to be hypocrytical like you. At least I can do it in style, wirelessly.
    not hypocritical but clamming that since your one buddy has to carry around his charger means that palm pre doesn't have a bad battery life.

    of course you skimmed over these points from the article: "Before we start with the OS, we think its safe to say that webOS just very well may be the prettiest, best looking OS around.. our first thought of webOS is that it's stunning that Google didn't go in this direction with Android...And though Android does multitasking just fine, the implementation of multitasking on webOS is much more elegant..The ease of multitasking in webOS is really to die for, from not having the option to close apps on Android..I would love for this to become a feature in Android."
    but it was probably just garbage

    now please respond with an intelligent answer without using ad homenins. im sure not all of my points are great but atleast i tried to give you an answer to all of them.
    Last edited by surfhi; 01/01/2010 at 03:14 PM.
  19. #19  
    every reviewer is doing somewhat same thing.

    obviously, they are not supposed to declare "winner" or "loser". But its hard to really ask them to throw any possible bias out of the window.

    The most valuable thing is to show off hand son videos and point out a thing or two outside their normal audience.

    There is no reason to put too much importance on them, and there is no reason to demand too much from editors. They are, afterall, running websites such as "android central". They really have no duty to be 100% objective, nor can they.

    Looking for objective reviews? try engadget then.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    2. I had no idea that my buddy bought a new phone until he showed up with it..it is xmas time and we don't see each other that often. So..ur wrong twice. I don't feel like reading the rest of ur garbage
    what was i wrong about? the question was "any reason your passion for this phone couldn't convince your buddy to buy the pre? " if you didn't see him thats a reason. how does that make me wrong?

Posting Permissions