1.    #1  
    Alright, after much reading, a good deal of frustration, and a doctored Pre, I thought it may be prudent to get this out there.

It looks like the processor clock patches (Smartflex/CPU Scaling) are causing some major havoc for quite a few people after updating to 1.3.5. I install and maintain both mine and my husband's Pre's, and followed the same protocol as I have for some time. Whenever I've had to doctor our Pre's, I've installed all the patches, then restarted, THEN done Smartflex on it's own, then restarted again. This normally is a smooth-as-silk process, but not tonight.

I removed themes, rebooted. Ran EPR, rebooted. Ran the update. Uninstalled and re-installed Package Manager, rebooted. Installed patches, rebooted. Installed Smartflex, reboo... uhoh. Both Pre's (running the EXACT same patches) hung at the flashing Palm logo, and refused to boot. With some battery finagleing, I was able to get my husband's Pre up and going, and removed the Smartflex patch. Rebooted his, all was well. (Rebooted his another 7 times, just to be sure. He's websurfing on it now.)

Mine? Not so much. My Palm Profile is currently restoring, after 2 hours on the phone with Palm to make the WebOS Doctor recognise my Pre and run. I came close to truly bricking my Pre. Had to pull some sneakyness to make the WebOS Doc program recognise my Pre.

So, word to the wise, avoid the Smartflex/CPU Scaling patches, at least for now. They have always been problematic, and while they may be compatible, from what I've seen on the forums and been through tonight, they certainly are NOT friendly with 1.3.5.

Take care folks! I'm off to re-patch and re-install all my Homebrew stuffs. Sans processor clocking patches, of course.

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rykatemom View Post
    I removed themes, rebooted. Ran EPR, rebooted. Ran the update. Uninstalled and re-installed Package Manager, rebooted. Installed patches, rebooted. Installed Smartflex, reboo... uhoh. Both Pre's (running the EXACT same patches) hung at the flashing Palm logo, and refused to boot. With some battery finagleing, I was able to get my husband's Pre up and going, and removed the Smartflex patch.
    I had the same symptoms at first and followed nearly the same process - also had some problems with Preware patches but after using WebOSQI to remove all traces of Package Manage and Preware it started working, faster than it did before even (judging by startup).

I encountered a "Phone offline" issue that was resolved by toggling airplane mode on then off.

Subsequently I installed a theme via Preware which failed, then WebOS and it succeeded (received msg install was succesful) although it isn't recognized by WebOS when I lookup the current theme.

There are surely a lot of bugs but if you start from scratch and build again, you'll get it. I hope you have a spare 5 hrs - it's what I needed.
    I'm having the problem where 1.3.5 screwed up the pre and it just boots to a blue cloud screen saying to contact palm, the wos doctor isn't recognizing my pre, i have rebooted my computer, downloaded a new wos doctor and my computer still isn't recognizing the pre. How did you get the computer to recognize the pre??
    At first I thought that it was the Smartreflex causing my pre to freeze, but now I think it has more to do with the 1.3.5 update. People that have not installed SR are having freezing and booting up issues. After the update I installed all my patches back on (including SR 500 patch) and after resetting, my pre froze. When I pulled and replaced the battery I noticed the small white letters flash on the bottom of my screen (the letters that say "resetting device" after the update), like my pre had not fully reset from the update. It had to pull my battery 3 times before I could get my home screen to come up, but in the process I noticed the white letters were not flashing at the bottom of my screen anymore. I reinstalled SR 500 patch last night and everything is running fine this morning.
  5.    #5  
    Turned out that the 1.3.5 update borked something in the processor on my Pre. Took it to Sprint, and after an hour and 5 techs, they sent me a new Pre.

Well. Sort of. It's a refurb, and it's crap. The top half is loose and wobbly, and had some oreo issues out of the box. I'm getting REALLY tired of getting refurb Pre's, especially when the ones I've been returning are for build quality issues, and I keep getting the SAME D*#& PROBLEMS! ARGH! OK. Sorry, LOL, needed to vent that. I'm thinking about heading to the Sprint store tomorrow, and demanding a brand-new, out of the Palm Box Pre, and weighing that demand with a threat to cancel my 3-line contract since I can do it without a ETF this month. I baby the heck out of my Pre, I just wish they'd quit giving me broken ones!

~Kelly

"Two things are infinite: the universe, and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." ~Albert Einstein