1.    #1  
    Well, I hope everyone had a great holiday. Unfortunately I'm going to start my post-holiday celebrations with a bit of b****ing about my Pre.

The ease of multi-tasking on the Pre is one of the major things that caught my attention in the beginning, and has been one of the best features since getting it. That is, when it works.

My main issue here seems to be with Google Maps, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this. I open Google Maps, and wait for it to find my location (which in itself sometimes requires me closing and opening the app again). I map out my route, usually by transit, and then I like to keep it in the background while I use my phone for other things. This is where the real issue comes up; more often than not, when I use the phone for some quick web browsing, texting, or listening to music, when I go back to Google Maps, I get the spinning circle, and then it looses the route I had mapped out, resetting the map back to default (blank). And sometimes when it's "resetting" the map, it ends up freezing up my Pre, and then the wonderful 2 minute wait while it restarts.. me, of course, already on route to my destination, and needing to see where my next turn / bus stop is.

Personally, I've always hated the iPhone to Pre, or iPhone to anything comparisons, and the only reason I'm throwing this out there is because I had a direct comparison with the two after my Pre freezing up on my numerous times during 1 trip. Everyone goes on about the fantastic multitasking of the Pre vs any other phone, but my friends iPhone I was able to try out, could play music in the background, while loading up Google Maps, and I have to say, it was bloody fast. My Pre can't do that.. the speed especially.

Not to mention, when I got to my destination, it had sucked up over half my battery. I had to put it in flight mode, so I could make sure I'd have enough juice to use it on the way home. And yes, I asked my friend about the battery life on his iPhone, and he said his was nowhere near that bad. And he has 3G, not a 3GS.

That's it, just my complaints for the day. I am wondering though if anyone else has been having these issues with Google Maps. I'm tempted to reactivate my HTC Touch.. it's old, clunky (aka WinMo), and kinda slow, but I know it worked when I needed it. I'm just so frustrated right now, because I'm way past the return time for Bell, so I'm stuck with this thing.. and I'm not happy, least of all with the fact that I'm currently referring to it as "this thing" :/
    I notice the same thing with Google Maps, I thought it was something I was doing at first. Well I hope Google fixes it. I don't think it is a Palm issue, if so there is probably a patch that can be developed for it.
    I use Sprint NAV instead of google maps.

I think it's a much better program.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by xtravbx View Post
    I use Sprint NAV instead of google maps.

I think it's a much better program.
    Unfortunately, Bell offers us no such alternative.
  5. Vij
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dscott23 View Post
    Unfortunately, Bell offers us no such alternative.
    Thankfully the amazing folks here have a 'workaround' ;-)

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-bell-pre.html
  6.    #6  
    I had no idea about that.. thanks, I'll probably be trying it out after my annoyance level reaches another high
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    iPhone's do seem to be a lot more battery friendly than the Pre, but that could be due to a much more streamlined OS. In time hopefully Palm will get there, the Google maps thing I had happen to me once. After that I just used the Sprint Nav.
  8.    #8  
    One question about SprintNAV though.. I doubt it, but does it do Transit routing like Google Maps does? Again, I highly doubt it, but I'll ask anyways.

Without the Transit routing, it'll be pretty much useless to me, unfortunately.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dscott23 View Post
    One question about SprintNAV though.. I doubt it, but does it do Transit routing like Google Maps does? Again, I highly doubt it, but I'll ask anyways.

Without the Transit routing, it'll be pretty much useless to me, unfortunately.
    Sadly no it doesn't do transit.