webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Palm needs to make WebOS dumber
Palm needs to make WebOS dumber

Old 12/22/2009, 11:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

I don't actually mean make the Pre dumber... Just to adopt some of the powers of your average dumbphone. My brother-in-law got some crappy phone a few weeks ago and had me put some 'cool' stuff on it, since I'm the geek in the family. I put Opera mini b5 and few other apps on there. A week or so later, someone had me do the same thing with their Instinct. I then realized how amazing Java is... You can make an application and it could work with an endless amount of phones, from crappy flip phone to crappy touch screen phone. Why can't our no it-crappy, awesome phone do this?

I think Palm should implement Java into the phone. Maybe not allow Java apps in the App Catalog, but to allow us to download and install them from the browser. I believe Palm should not be doing anything(within reason) to limit WebOS. I understand that it's rapidly developing, but it's kinda embarrassing to have to tell people my "super awesome, better than iPhone" phone can't even record a simple audio note. And it's even worse when people see that they can have apps that are better than the Pre's.

I don't know, maybe I'm just going through early adopter pains... What do you guys think? Should the Pre have Java?!
balderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2009, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm down.
zoen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2009, 11:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think that the web browser is fine on WebOS. What other examples do you have that? I knew when I got the phone that video-recording was not a capability they phone had; but, they have laid the groundwork and the app (from what I understand is progressing nicely). Voice-notes is not something that I would ever use so I am not upset it isn't here.

This OS is very open-sourced and I don't think Palm is doing anything to 'limit' its capabilities.
Old 12/23/2009, 12:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxLOL View Post
I think that the web browser is fine on WebOS. What other examples do you have that? I knew when I got the phone that video-recording was not a capability they phone had; but, they have laid the groundwork and the app (from what I understand is progressing nicely). Voice-notes is not something that I would ever use so I am not upset it isn't here.

This OS is very open-sourced and I don't think Palm is doing anything to 'limit' its capabilities.
I like the browser too, I actually prefer it to Opera. It's just sad that all phones have Java powers and the Pre doesn't. Java may temporarily solve some of the SDK problems. There's some pretty cool Java games and apps out there. Palm wouldn't have to rewrite the SDK to allow code other than basic Web languages. Just add Java, which would make a buttload of other apps compatible pretty much immediately.

I guess I used the wrong word, Palm's not limiting the device... I might just be getting too impatient. Every day I check Preware and the App Catalog... Not much new or exciting.
balderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2009, 12:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by balderson View Post
I like the browser too, I actually prefer it to Opera. It's just sad that all phones have Java powers and the Pre doesn't. Java may temporarily solve some of the SDK problems. There's some pretty cool Java games and apps out there. Palm wouldn't have to rewrite the SDK to allow code other than basic Web languages. Just add Java, which would make a buttload of other apps compatible pretty much immediately.

I guess I used the wrong word, Palm's not limiting the device... I might just be getting too impatient. Every day I check Preware and the App Catalog... Not much new or exciting.
I can understand that. I think right now is a 'slow' time because Devs are waiting for 1.3.5 to be released.
Old 12/23/2009, 04:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm with you. It's embarrassing that my wife's 2 year old bottom-of-the-line Samsung flip phone can do things that my Pre can't like shoot video, record audio notes, play games with SOUND. Not to mention how much faster the UI is on a dumb phone. Don't get me started on build quality (on my fourth Pre).

Unless things shape up soon, I'm jumping over to Android this summer.
Turd_Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2009, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

J2ME would be pretty cool actually, I was thinking about that earlier. There's a lot of games and reasonably useful apps about - none of them are particularly good but it's content we don't currently have.
catdaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2009, 05:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

Java was the original plan (not necessarily J2ME), but was scrapped once webKit and hardware for it became viable enough for the task of running apps. WebOS is using Java for back-end services.
Old 12/23/2009, 05:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

here let me give you ten dollars ....no .. What do you mean no ....oh you wanted fifty dollars , I'm sorry let me work on that for you . Ha ! Yeah right !
P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
shadavis08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0