Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I switched from AT&T and iPhone and bought my Sprint Palm Pre around the 1.2.x series sometime back in September. I love the many great features of the Pre itself, but I also love the community, the homebrew apps, and the sheer paradigm shift that Palm and webOS are trying to bring to the world of phones and the internet.

I was really excited when I upgraded to the 1.3.x OS because it seemed to speed it up a bit in some core areas such as the phone, camera, and picture applications. However, after some time with the update and installing a few patches, I noticed that with increased usage of the phone, especially the browser and mail apps, the phone would slow down to a crawl and occasionally become unusable. I began to pine for the silky smoothness and stability of my old 1G iPhone, but I persevered and kept trying different methods I had read about on the forums to speed up the OS--I even installed the 500MHz smartreflex patch and followed instructions to hack the script and make it run at 600MHz (cpu freq scaling doesn't work well on my Pre), but when I learned of 1.3.5 quickly after that I removed the patch and decided to look for other ways. Once I even uninstalled all my patches and performed webOS Doctor, but then I missed my old patches and their incredible usefulness (and coolness).

In the end, just three things made my Pre as silky smooth and stable as if it were running the 1.3.5 update (I can only imagine that this is what it would be like since I haven't actually seen 1.3.5 yet):
    1. Clear out Gmail. I had about 1GB of email in my Gmail account, which I archived and backed up on my local HDD. My Gmail account now only has about 10 emails in it today and says "you are using 0MB of your 7xxxMB of storage". (I still have a corporate Exchange account synced up which weighs in at about 300-500MB at any given time)
    2. Install the "Lower Swap Threshold" patch. This gives the Pre a bit more memory for cards and reduces what appears to be the Pre's excessively large swap partition.
    3. Install the "Clean Up Event Listeners" patch. This is not yet in Preware as far as I know and can be found at this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-p...mory-leak.html It can be installed via webOS Quick Install.

YMMV of course, and there may be other factors that, combined, are making a difference, but here's what I have experienced since I made the above changes:
    - A speedier, snappier, and more responsive interface. Apps seem to open faster, and when they close, it seems to me that they don't stick around like they used to--they are immediately killed.
    - A more stable phone. Web pages and apps that used to drag the phone down into a slow crawl seemed to behave much more nicely now--even Newsroom, which for me before would eventually force the phone to restart with long periods of use.
    - Longer battery life and a more consistent, even drain pattern. My office sits right in a dead area where the phone is constantly looking for a signal between Sprint network and roaming networks, and this kills battery life normally, but after the above I have noticed that it drains at a steady clip even with heavy browsing, calling, email, and messagin--I started the day today at 6am at around 97% and ended the day at 5pm with around 40% remaining. (Disclaimer: I am still using the 500MHz Smartreflex patch, which doesn't work well for everyone)

Now of course this may not matter in a couple weeks since the 1.3.5 update will supposedly do many of the same things I just wrote about, but I just thought I'd share my experiences and knowledge with my fellow webOS users in case it might come in handy for someone else along the way.

This discovery would not have been possible without the amazing work and wizardry of the many developers of webOS-Internals, Preware, and its many patches and additions to the revolutionary and open webOS! Thanks guys!

Edit: Wifi also seems to have sped up a bit.
    Last edited by intlbeans; 12/22/2009 at 01:47 AM.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I also like the 550/600 mhz patch. However, the 600mhz patch is quite unstable.
  3.    #3  
    Yeah, I noticed after running 600 for just a few hours the phone became unusable even after a reboot.
    just added the cleanup event listeners patch and i went back to 550 i had 600 before but was too laggy and battery went down too fast, ill post back on results in a few days thnx for the tips
    can the pre run at 550.....i thought the chipset was only able to do 500 or 600.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannydos View Post
    can the pre run at 550.....i thought the chipset was only able to do 500 or 600.
    It's max clock rate is 600Mhz so in other words it can do anything up to that, but because of a bad batch of Omap chipsets they stay cautious and keep the pre at 500Mhz because upping it takes the risk of messing up alot of phones, as we have seen here on precentral.
    Now, I didn't think gmail on pre downloads ALL the emails, only if you select the time period to show emails via pre preferences in email. and even if you don't open a folder besides inbox, it doesn't get those emails.

And can someone explain the "clean up event listeners patch"? Thanks.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  8.    #8  
    Now, I didn't think gmail on pre downloads ALL the emails, only if you select the time period to show emails via pre preferences in email. and even if you don't open a folder besides inbox, it doesn't get those emails.
    Totally unscientifically speaking, it seems to my novice eyes that the Pre handles Gmail different from other types of accounts for some reason...maybe because of the complete integration into other parts of the phone via Synergy? No idea. I have also seen other threads in the forum that talk about big attachments causing problems. I have no idea if this was the reason for the improvements, but it was part of my complete strategy.

And can someone explain the "clean up event listeners patch"? Thanks.
    If I understand the thread where the patch is located (just edited OP to add missing link to thread), it's OS-side memory cleanup, which takes over in place of application-side memory cleanup. So, if an app is behaving badly, the OS takes over and shuts it down before it gets out of control. My belief after witnessing my Pre stutter wildly after opening a few browser windows (before applying the above fixes) is that it's most often the browser causing memory leaks, and this might have helped fix the problem.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Would be fantastic if Palm could correct these errors rather than having to install a patch to correct everything they screw up.
    Quote Originally Posted by intlbeans View Post
    Totally unscientifically speaking, it seems to my novice eyes that the Pre handles Gmail different from other types of accounts for some reason...maybe because of the complete integration into other parts of the phone via Synergy? No idea. I have also seen other threads in the forum that talk about big attachments causing problems. I have no idea if this was the reason for the improvements, but it was part of my complete strategy.

If I understand the thread where the patch is located (just edited OP to add missing link to thread), it's OS-side memory cleanup, which takes over in place of application-side memory cleanup. So, if an app is behaving badly, the OS takes over and shuts it down before it gets out of control. My belief after witnessing my Pre stutter wildly after opening a few browser windows (before applying the above fixes) is that it's most often the browser causing memory leaks, and this might have helped fix the problem.
    Where is the patch? Searched but could not find it.
    Laissez Faire
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I shouldn't have to install patches. I want improvements to the stock webOS (bring on 1.3.5).
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by r-nice View Post
    I shouldn't have to install patches. I want improvements to the stock webOS (bring on 1.3.5).
    exactly. I am getting sick and tired of having to patch simply things that should already be working in the background of the OS.

I can understand the need to patch user specific things that change the appearance of very detailed productivity needs but for things such as this come on already Palm I'm sick of patiently waiting....
    I'm getting sick and tired of people whining because they CAN patch their phone. Be thankful... and patient.
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    ...patience has its limits.

Palm really dropped the ball with the release of 1.3.1, (killing Classic for many users, among other bugs.)

They need to fix that stuff quick, as well as, add the features all other smartphones, (including their own past devices), that users expect from todays products.

I don't think Palm really understands how quick people will give up and switch to something new.

At this point I don't care about wasting the 200 dollars I paid for my launch day Pre - or paying full price for a new device, ...just as long as it works!

Luckily for me, I'll just reactivate my Centro - which I've been carrying ever since Classic died/was killed. ...and which I still have to use for listening to Audible Audiobooks and Newspapers.

Some of us are used to more functionality in our devices, (formerly we were spoiled by the Treo & Centro), now, we look longingly towards the Apple, Moto and Android phones, and wonder if our beloved Pre will ever catch up to those devices, (or my old Centro's), feature set.

I thought 1.3.5 would have been released by now, if just to fix what 1.3.1 broke, (Classic, among other things.), but It's looking like we won't see it until CES in Jan. I hope I'm wrong, and it drops today, but, I really don't believe that will happen.

I've been a Palm fan for a long, long time - by MY patience is almost gone -
    I want Palm to survive, but, like the great Amiga before it, it may be too late.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    I think you are looking at this the total wrong way. One of the main design points of WebOS was for it to be easy to code for. Not just apps, but the OS too. What does that mean? Patches. The reason a patch exists is to give you the option of having that setting or not. If palm was to implament some of the patches into webos, then they wouldn't be choices anymore. I LOVE patches. I think it is crazy awesome what the people here have come up with. In fact, I like patches even more than apps.

back to the op's thread. I would like to add the "dethrottle patch". That's not exactly what its called but it is great. You can notice it a little bit over evdo, but wifi is where it shines. With that and ur two patches my pre is snappier than ever.

thanks for the post
  16.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by piaband View Post
    I would like to add the "dethrottle patch". That's not exactly what its called but it is great. You can notice it a little bit over evdo, but wifi is where it shines. With that and ur two patches my pre is snappier than ever.
    Thanks piaband for the feedback - I also had the dethrottle patch installed since before I did the above fixes, and wifi downloads really scream with it, even more so now it seems with the above fixes...particularly noticeable when you're grabbing stuff from the app catalog.

Just for the record, here's a complete list of all the patches I have installed on my Pre right now, 27 total:
    * Advanced Phone Menu
    * Battery Icon and Percent
    * Call duration in call log
    * Cleanup Event Listeners
    * Close slider to end calls (it's too cold here where I live--12F today with wind chill--to be able to use the touchscreen sometimes)
    * Confirm Delete
    * Enable dialpad virbration
    * Enable landscape email
    * Enable Landscape PDF viewer
    * Enable LED notifications
    * Gesture tap for info and delete
    * Gesture click context menu
    * Improved filename format
    * Lower swap threshold
    * Match state to area code
    * Open to Alarm list
    * Powersave smartreflex 500MHz
    * Reduce minimum brightness
    * Replies forwards multi mod
    * Show actual battery percent
    * Show download count
    * Slider answers to speaker (again, this helps when fingers are frozen or in gloves)
    * Slider blocks orientation change
    * Swipe to delete
    * Unthrottle download manager
    * Video downloads
    * Virtual keyboard
    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    Would be fantastic if Palm could correct these errors rather than having to install a patch to correct everything they screw up.
    Digink,

We need to be patient here. What us early adopters are doing is helping bring about a sort of revolution in the mobile phone world. I don't know about you, but I don't want to see Apple and Google rule the world. I want even competition; companies running neck-in-neck to develop that new killer feature that makes their phone that much better. I don't do the whole "I'm a devoted company x follower" thing. Palm's attempt at a smartphone has far surpassed my expectations, and they have done from scratch what WM hasn't achieved after nearly 10 years. A good, usable, multitouch browser. YouTube compatibility that is simple and works. A good up-start app store. Linux-based reliability. Good phone design - sleek and attractive. Good sound quality and feature set. The Touchstone. Need I go on? The Pre and Pixi have a good hand - let's be supportive and patient. The only problem at this point is if Palm doesn't play their hand right.

Cheers,
    Charlie
    Last edited by cstaats; 12/23/2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: ****** = bad?
    True mercy is never earned.
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cstaats View Post
    Digink,

We need to be patient here. What us early adopters are doing is helping bring about a sort of revolution in the mobile phone world. I don't know about you, but I don't want to see Apple and Google rule the world. I want even competition; companies running neck-in-neck to develop that new killer feature that makes their phone that much better. I don't do the whole "I'm a devoted company x follower" thing. Palm's attempt at a smartphone has far surpassed my expectations, and they have done from scratch what WM hasn't achieved after nearly 10 years. A good, usable, multitouch browser. YouTube compatibility that is simple and works. A good up-start app store. Linux-based reliability. Good phone design - sleek and attractive. Good sound quality and feature set. The Touchstone. Need I go on? The Pre and Pixi have a good hand - let's be supportive and patient. The only problem at this point is if Palm doesn't play their hand right.

Cheers,
    Charlie
    I do agree with you on many of those points, and I am going to patiently wait, but hopefully with this 1.3.5 update they give us SOMETHING. Plus I like Sprint and IMO the Pre is still the best device for me offered by Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by cstaats View Post
    Palm's attempt at a smartphone has far surpassed my expectations, and they have done from scratch what WM hasn't achieved after nearly 10 years.
    You do realize palm is pretty much the original smartphone company dont you? I have to say, this phone has far unsurpassed my expectations. I've had alot of palm devices and winmo's, and considering all the experience palm has in the smartphone market, I feel they are really lacking in hte depth of this os.
    As for patches, yeah I'm glad we have them, but having to put 30 of them on my phone is ridiculous. And when many of them are for simple basic everday functions that 6-7 year old phones have, it is extremly disappointing.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast