Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by intlbeans View Post
    ...<snip>...

In the end, just three things made my Pre as silky smooth and stable as if it were running the 1.3.5 update (I can only imagine that this is what it would be like since I haven't actually seen 1.3.5 yet):
    1. Clear out Gmail. I had about 1GB of email in my Gmail account, which I archived and backed up on my local HDD. My Gmail account now only has about 10 emails in it today and says "you are using 0MB of your 7xxxMB of storage". (I still have a corporate Exchange account synced up which weighs in at about 300-500MB at any given time)
    2. Install the "Lower Swap Threshold" patch. This gives the Pre a bit more memory for cards and reduces what appears to be the Pre's excessively large swap partition.
    3. Install the "Clean Up Event Listeners" patch. This is not yet in Preware as far as I know and can be found at this thread: <link> It can be installed via webOS Quick Install.

...<snip>...

This discovery would not have been possible without the amazing work and wizardry of the many developers of webOS-Internals, Preware, and its many patches and additions to the revolutionary and open webOS! Thanks guys!

I did two of your suggested three things (not quite ready to tackle my mountain of Gmail just yet...) and have noticed a definite improvement in performance, even though I'm not running the 500mhz patch. Thanks for pointing these out!

P.S. Also, just noticed that Clean Up Event Listeners is now in Preware.
  2.    #22  
    Great news kallan42! Glad to see it working for you, and even better that the patch is now in Preware. I can understand not wanting to tackle gmail yet - I wasn't really excited about it but I have been seeing a lot of stories lately about people's gmail accounts suddenly getting hacked, whether they had a strong password or not, so I decided it was time to clean out my account and get rid of potentially sensitive stuff.

Lessons Learned from a Hacked Google Account - Gmail - Lifehacker
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    You do realize palm is pretty much the original smartphone company dont you?
    And you realize that other than the name, this Palm ain't the Palm you're referring to? IMO, they are a 2, maybe 3 year old start up company.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by kallan42 View Post
    P.S. Also, just noticed that Clean Up Event Listeners is now in Preware.
    I just checked Preware a few minutes ago but couldn't find it anywhere. Is it not in the patches section, or do you know something I don't ...?
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    I just checked Preware a few minutes ago but couldn't find it anywhere. Is it not in the patches section, or do you know something I don't ...?
    Click all for patches and search that, it's there.
    Does anyone else have an opinion on whether deleting all of your Gmail archives has an effect on the speed of the Pre? I just can't see any logical reason why this would have an impact. With the right settings the phone only requests the most recent emails from the Google servers and even then only seems to acquire in the region of 10 emails at a time. I really query whether it's worth losing your entire online archives over this. Anyone?
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    can't you just archive ur gmail rather than delete them to get them out of ur mail folders?
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by digink View Post
    Click all for patches and search that, it's there.
    Can you confirm how it is named in Preware? I just looked myself and could not find it anywhere in Patches or List Everything.

Thanks
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by rawspot View Post
    Can you confirm how it is named in Preware? I just looked myself and could not find it anywhere in Patches or List Everything.

Thanks
    I think it's showing up for people who already installed it. I checked in Preware once while patchless yesterday and it was nowhere to be found.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    can't you just archive ur gmail rather than delete them to get them out of ur mail folders?
    You're probably right but like I mentioned a couple posts ago, for me it was more about security than anything else. The only reason I listed it here is because I did it at the same time as my patch experiment and wanted to make sure people that tried this knew all the pertinent details before they dove in.
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    I'd like to see Palm introduce CPU frequency scaling to reduce the processor's speed and voltage to their minimum values when the phone's not in use. Imagine the battery life that would save.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Sorry, everyone - my bad. I misinterpreted the appearance of the patch on my installed list to mean that it was on the Preware feed, but a check of the actual feed revealed that it wasn't. I think the Christmas rush was affecting my brain.

@intlbeans: Thanks for the article. Scary stuff! I don't think I could give half the information that was in that blockquoted list.
    Last edited by kallan42; 12/26/2009 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Forgot to include some information
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    I'd like to see Palm introduce CPU frequency scaling to reduce the processor's speed and voltage to their minimum values when the phone's not in use. Imagine the battery life that would save.
    No need to imagine: http://www.precentral.net/patches-en...-power-savings
    Global Posts
    266 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    Thanks, but I'm going to hold out for an 'official' implementation. For the time being I'm a Pre purist, heh.
    You're invited to follow me on Twitter
    Ahh no harm in that, a lot of people are finding their Pres ran smoother before they started adding patches anyway. Here's hoping Palm find a way to implement it themselves
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    I'm gonna be brave and go for it.

Now, that article says serious bricking can occur. Am I to understand that as to mean that I could permanently kill my phone? Or is it something that a webOS Doctor fix can fix should it happen?
    Palm Pre | WebOS 1.4.1.1 | Sprint
    My CarDomain - 5/30/09
    IlyaK, if it does go wrong you should be able to use WebOS Doctor to restore your phone. I guess there are no real guarantees in this business.

Please remember that if you try to install a Smart Reflex patch AND a CPU Scaling patch simultaneously, you will end up needing to doctor your Pre. Only ever have one of these processor patches installed at a time.

It might interest you to know that people have had more luck using the Smart Reflex patch than the CPU Scaling patch (there's lots of threads comparing the two around the forums), but of course you can try both out and decide which you prefer.
    Quote Originally Posted by redninja View Post
    You do realize palm is pretty much the original smartphone company dont you? I have to say, this phone has far unsurpassed my expectations. I've had alot of palm devices and winmo's, and considering all the experience palm has in the smartphone market, I feel they are really lacking in hte depth of this os.
    As for patches, yeah I'm glad we have them, but having to put 30 of them on my phone is ridiculous. And when many of them are for simple basic everday functions that 6-7 year old phones have, it is extremly disappointing.
    Heh, I've been a Palm user since the Palm III days, so yeah, I am aware of Palm's abilities and their place in the history of PDAs.

However, this is a first for them. Expecting so much out of the Pre/Pixi is like expecting Microsoft to have a fully polished, next-gen OS after 10 years of XP. Vista was a steaming pile of crap. (Not comparing here, so bear with me) Vista had some good points, but they missed it in some critical areas. I don't believe Palm has done that. The worst they've done is releasing the Pre maybe 6-12 months premature. What keeps me going is that the hardware is capable - and matches the iPhone in those capabilities - but we are stuck in software that isn't mature enough to reliably handle all that the hardware can do.

So again, I say patience. I am hopeful and positive as Palm has a precious uncut gem in the webOS+Pre combination. To end with another lucid analogy: we'll see just how good their gemcutters (devs) are.

Cheers,
    Charlie
    True mercy is never earned.
    Quote Originally Posted by laze View Post
    Thanks, but I'm going to hold out for an 'official' implementation. For the time being I'm a Pre purist, heh.
    My sentiments exactly. I've done my share of patching and hacking on Linux boxes to make stuff work that really shouldn't (and some that should but didn't) but I feel the same way about patching and homebrewing my Pre as I did about not jailbreaking my iPhone.

Purists Unite!

lol.

Cheers,
    Charlie
    True mercy is never earned.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12