View Poll Results: What IM Do You Use Most?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yahoo

9 25.71%
  • Windows Live (a.k.a. Msn)

24 68.57%
  • Google

8 22.86%
  • Aim

7 20.00%
    3 8.57%
  • Other

1 2.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
  1.    #1  
    when is palm going to finally put Yahoo IM and Windows Live IM on the Pre?! i mean, its been out long enough, and both microsoft and yahoo were shown as partners with palm for the Pre. i do not personally own a pre right now, but will be getting one on monday or tuesday (depends on when USPS ships it to me), and Yahoo/Windows Live IM are VERY important to me. i JUST read something in another thread about 1.3.1 having Yahoo IM support now, but like i said, i do not own a pre and am unable to figure that out. but even if it does, then what about Windows Live? i do not use Google or AIM at all. well i sometimes use AIM every now and then, but i only have 1 contact on there whom i seldom talk to; but Yahoo and WL i have plenty of contacts that i talk to on a daily basis.

This was a main concern for me in getting a pre, but after finding out that at least Yahoo MIGHT be available on the Pre now, i feel a small bit better since i use Yahoo more than Windows Live. i was rather skeptical to getting a Pre or Pixi because of the fact that it didn't have either when they first came out, so i stuck to my BlackBerry (worst piece of **** you can EVER get, DONT BUY ONE! lol). but now that i am finally just so sick and tired of the constant screw ups with my BB and the lack of ANY good apps or anything, i'm finally getting a Pre.

so as i said, is there ANY kind of rumor or speculation about more IM groups coming to the pre?? you would figure that it wouldn't be too hard for palm to make one seeing how the iPhone had a Yahoo IM app when it launched. also you would think that someone would at least make an app for the Pre to be able to connect, like Parlingo on the iPhone/iPod.
    Yahoo IM was an option on webOS since 1.3.1.
    I've been using Live (MSN) with the beta app that was developed here. It does work.

Check it out, but you would have to use WebOS Quick Install to get it on your Pre.

Rob

PS This is not by Palm!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

4.    #4  
    @ryleyinstl:
    mmk as i said i just recently saw that somewhere around the site

@rlanza1054:
    i saw a download plugin thing for the pre that had quite a bit of IMs in it, but i couldnt' find a place to download it on here. also it seemed pretty tricky and very glitchly/flakey as it was. people kept saying that their yahoo would end up missing and they woudl have to doctor their phone, then there were people saying that the only way toget it to work properly was to doctor the phone, install preware and some other thing, then restart the phone twice, then install the plugin, restart twice, input your yahoo id things, restart again, then input the rest. seemed like a very long process, and since i will be just getting my pre on monday/tuesday, i dont feel like bricking it the first day i get it >.<
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    guess i'm the only fool left using ICQ

if they added full xmpp/jabber support, i'd be set since i run my own jabber server
    it is the largest octopus ever recorded.
    Quote Originally Posted by m0unds View Post
    guess i'm the only fool left using ICQ

if they added full xmpp/jabber support, i'd be set since i run my own jabber server
    ICQ, the best that 1996 had to offer.

Sorry couldn't resist.

Anyway, to the OP, as it's been pointed out, Yahoo is built into the Pre just like google and aim, but WL is not.

There absolutely, positively, without a doubt; is a messaging add-on for free here in the forums that adds WL.

So, basically, it's all here now, and this discussion is pretty much moot.
    Quote Originally Posted by master620 View Post
    @ryleyinstl:
    mmk as i said i just recently saw that somewhere around the site

@rlanza1054:
    i saw a download plugin thing for the pre that had quite a bit of IMs in it, but i couldnt' find a place to download it on here. also it seemed pretty tricky and very glitchly/flakey as it was. people kept saying that their yahoo would end up missing and they woudl have to doctor their phone, then there were people saying that the only way toget it to work properly was to doctor the phone, install preware and some other thing, then restart the phone twice, then install the plugin, restart twice, input your yahoo id things, restart again, then input the rest. seemed like a very long process, and since i will be just getting my pre on monday/tuesday, i dont feel like bricking it the first day i get it >.<
    Please bear in mind that a lot of the stuff here is 'in development', or things that they are doing to prove it can be done.

Most of the Messaging stuff does works but you have to read the docs very carefully and know how to back out if it's not working for you or it's too much trouble.

I use the LIVE messenger and it works great for me.

Learn how to use WebOS Quick Install (it's really easy if you follow the instructions and then it become a no big deal thing.

Here is the link to the main page of the messenger plugins, and the first post will have the links so you can download the software which then much be installed via WebOS Quick Install 2.9.6

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ml#post1932475

How this starts you off.

Rob

PS If you are interested in testing the alpha version of the Precorder, you can use that app to do video recording on your Pre! Yes video recording, and it works!

BTW, Doctoring your phone is not a big deal. It just mean you end up with a phone that is at the factory defaults and you'd have to set everything up from scratch. I personally, always use WebOS Doctor before each new update because I find it easier then messing around with have to spend all that time removing everything and being careful in those steps.

If you have some geek inside you, you will love doing all this stuff. If you consider yourself a novice, then find a friend that can do these things for you. And it's been stated before, it's real hard to brick a Pre, almost impossible, but it can be done, but not likely in 99% of the time.
    Last edited by rlanza1054; 12/21/2009 at 03:25 AM.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

8.    #8  
    lol to the guy who said they still use icq: i used to use it ALOT until that big virus hit their servers and destroyed alot of people's PCs who were online at the time. since then i've never touched it and never will lol

and as for the whole geek part: lol yea i'm pretty much into that, just i ahven't had much time to really play around with a pre let alone touch one a bit lol. i know i've watched at least a weeks worth of videos on how to do everything there is to do on a pre (am very excited to finally be getting one lmao).