View Poll Results: Would you rather update OTA, or wait for WebOS Doctor?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way; I'm going to OTA ASAP!

55 65.48%
  • I'm going to OTA, but after all my favorite patches/homebrew apps are updated as well.

4 4.76%
  • I'm waiting for WebOS Doctor 1.3.5.

24 28.57%
  • If I had the choice, I'd stick with 1.3.1.

1 1.19%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I recently doctored mine, but saved /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 to /media/internal. Immediately after doctoring, I replaced it (and the phone had to be re-activated). Once it came back up I had all of my text messages, and email settings preserved.

Some things I noticed about doing it this way though:
    - I don't think it liked my overlaying the PalmDatabase.db3 while things were running, and it created a PalmDatabase.db3CorruptRuntime file to prove it
    - All of my contact pictures are missing now
    - You have to activate the phone twice after doctoring

I really like how the 1.3.1 doctor does NOT erase /media/internal. I hope they keep doing (or not doing?) that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Lol, I am doctoring back to 1.3.1 then applying the update.
    +1
    The amount of hell Ive put up with 1.3.1 Im going to clear it all out and start fresh with 1.3.5 .
    I just ran EPR and cleared my theme I'm so ready for the new update. On a side note 1.3.1 ran great on my pre no problems at all.

Follow Me On Twitter
    http://twitter.com/Joescan
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by enormous View Post
    I recently doctored mine, but saved /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 to /media/internal. Immediately after doctoring, I replaced it (and the phone had to be re-activated). Once it came back up I had all of my text messages, and email settings preserved.

Some things I noticed about doing it this way though:
    - I don't think it liked my overlaying the PalmDatabase.db3 while things were running, and it created a PalmDatabase.db3CorruptRuntime file to prove it
    That doesn't surprise me - typically, you don't just replace a running database like that - leads to problems. I've wondered about the sanity restoring over-the-top like that. And actually, copying a running database file like that isn't always safe, though maybe with sqlite it is. Oh for the ability to dump a snapshot for the backup...just "feels" safer to me...

ETA: I can't fully test this on my Pre at the minute, I think I'd have to root it and ssh in, but I wonder if the following would be safer (adpated from http://lnk.nu/notfaq.wordpress.com/145g/):

sqlite3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 .dump > /media/internal/PalmDatabase_dump.sql (copy/dump database)

sqlite3 /var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3 < /media/internal/PalmDatabase_dump.sql (restore)

There's no "sqlite" on the phone, but there *is* /usr/bin/sqlite3, so...*shrugs*
    Last edited by kuoirad; 12/18/2009 at 04:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    just got palm.com/ROM message from OTA 1.3.5 update. on non-rooted pre. anyone else have this issue. and latest version of web dr. is 1.3.1
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Here is the direct download link for the JAR file from within the JNLP file on the Palm website. The Palm website says its for 1.3.5.

http://palm.cdnetworks.net/rom/pre/p...0ewwsprint.jar
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I could not wait anymore and I ran EPR and went OTA yesterday. I was poking around through Terminal application and could see leftovers of applications still in the /var partition that didn't move over. Actually the shouldn't had been there at all because I had uninstalled them before OTA update.

So when the new Doctor came out, I said I'll just start from scratch.

I did a Full Erase from the Device menu on phone and then Doctored it.

Weird thing is, I still have 5 pages (that I added with patch) instead of the default 3 and many of my applications that were restored via Palm Profile ended up on the pages I had them on before the erase and doctoring.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Doesn't seem like this should have restored.
    Global Posts
    769 Global Posts
    I doctored mine yesterday as well, and I also had all my extra pages show up.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Well I finally got around to Doctoring mine and yes, I too still have 5 pages. I'm not complaining though.

I did a Full Erase before visiting the Doctor. Unfortunately, the LED notifications didn't stick. I almost would have rather preferred that over the extra Launcher pages.

My Pre does appear to have better battery life, and the browser is once again responsive; overall the device is more responsive, but I haven't gotten around to patching it backup. Let's see how long that lasts.

Have a Happy New Year folks!
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12