Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21  
    Little known fact, Apple stole the GUI style OS with a mouse from Xerox.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
    Didn't the multi-touch feature originate in like Japan? Isn't some Japanese company suing Apple over that?
    A button at the center of the phone. Yes, Palm must have stolen that from Apple.

    Oh, and look... The Pre has a camera. Must have stolen that from Apple.
    I don't know of any commercial products that had multitouch as implemented by Apple before the iPhone. I have not heard of anyone suing them over that. As for the vertical rectangular shape of the iPhone dominated by a capacitive touch screen with a single button for navigation, nope, can't think of any products like that before the iPhone either. I can name a bunch of them that came after.

    I never claimed that Apple invented the wheel. I do claim that almost every smart phone that has been released in the last two or three years is in response to what Apple did, and they borrowed bits and pieces of what Apple produced. Remember, this thread is about Apple copying Palm. That is patently absurd, and if anything, just the opposite is true. Palm's card view is an exact duplicate of Apples software, not the other way around. The premise of the thread is insane.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Little known fact, Apple stole the GUI style OS with a mouse from Xerox.
    Two things: one, it's not true, and two, that has nothing to do with this topic.

    Are you suggesting that if Apple stole from someone else, then it is alright for Palm to steal from Apple? If so, that is another topic. It would also be conceding the counterargument that Apple did not steel the card view from Palm. The premise of this thread is insane.
  4. #24  
    Just laying down a fact that I find interesting. Sorry if it upset you.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Just laying down a fact that I find interesting. Sorry if it upset you.
    Just for reference: Xerox Star - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

    Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    At this point, you are just purposely trying to deceive as many gullible people as you can with this ridiculous assertion.

    Here is the relevant passage from the wiki you posted

    "Some people feel that Apple, Microsoft, and others plagiarized the GUI and other innovations from the Xerox Star, and believe that Xerox didn't properly protect its intellectual property. The truth is more complicated. Many patent disclosures were in fact submitted for the innovations in the Star; however, at the time the 1975 Xerox Consent Decree, an FTC antitrust action, placed restrictions on what the company was able to patent.[13] In addition, when the Star disclosures were being prepared, the Xerox patent attorneys were busy with several other new technologies such as laser printing. Finally, patents on software, particularly those relating to user interfaces, were an untested legal area at that time.

    Xerox did go to trial to protect the Star user interface. In 1989, after Apple sued Microsoft for copyright infringement of its Macintosh user interface in Windows, Xerox filed a similar lawsuit against Apple; however, it was thrown out because a three year statute of limitations had passed. (Apple eventually lost its lawsuit in 1994, losing all claims to the user interface.)[14]"

    The premise of this thread is still insane!
  7. #27  
    It had been said... I should read threads before I post.
    Last edited by czz7661; 12/18/2009 at 10:52 AM. Reason: to delete my dup.
  8. #28  
    @dandbj13, you know I just posted a link supporting an intersting fact I learned a while back. I made no real statement about whether Apple is evil or who should be able to copy whatever. I do find it interesting that you have read so much into so very little, and yet you proclaim this thread is insane.

    if this thread is upseting you, I suggest you stop reading it.
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    @dandbj13, you know I just posted a link supporting an intersting fact I learned a while back. I made no real statement about whether Apple is evil or who should be able to copy whatever. I do find it interesting that you have read so much into so very little, and yet you proclaim this thread is insane.

    if this thread is upseting you, I suggest you stop reading it.
    Dear Mr. Pants, you are being disingenuous. You stated in no uncertain terms that Apple "stole" the GUI from someone else. That is not a fact; it is a bald faced lie. Your own link does not bear out your assertion. You are simply trying to obfuscate the issue with this straw man. I only respond so that people who encounter this thread with no knowledge of the issue is not led astray by your tactic.

    By the way, did you have something to say that was on topic, and in keeping with actual facts?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions