Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I would like a customized, multiple level launcher menu that lets you can categorize and navigate apps.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trident View Post
    T9 number/name recognition in the dialer.

This x1 million! You wouldn't have to leave the phone app to dial another number with the slider closed. I would LOVE this.
    Are widgets technically possible at this point? In my understanding, webos apps have the ability to either run in the foreground or the background, and so it seems that if an app were to run in the background while remaining visible, it would be able to function as a widget on the home screen.
    With the current framework it's impossible. Of course Palm could extend it to allow widgets, but I am very confident they won't do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SqyArc View Post
    With the current framework it's impossible. Of course Palm could extend it to allow widgets, but I am very confident they won't do this.
    Why? ...and... Why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan3816 View Post
    Why? ...and... Why?
    For starters the "desktop" area is not currently accessible or even capable of housing plugins, interactive or informative. Developers have no access to this area of the phone and no available method of invoking or manipulating it other than to change the background image.

Secondly the market strategy for WebOS is following the mould of Apple's iPhone in so much as what you're given is what you get (themes aside) - for example, Android and Windows allow developers to place a wrapper around the operating system which completely alters the navigation and user interface of the phone (for example HTC's Sense UI). Palm and Apple have designed their interfaces, and you will use them if you want to use their phones. Neither company has implemented widgets to this point.

Thirdly, the whole concept of Card View is designed to negate the need for widgets - if you want to have your facebook feed and a slideshow viewer and an RSS feed up on the screen simultaneously, they've designed and implemented a way for you to do this. Card view replaces widgets in this way.

Personally I find widgets are messy and overrated - look at Samsung's and Nokia's implementation of Widgets. They are messy, clutter the screen and actually provide you with very little information due to the fact that there is only room for 1 or 2 lines of text at a time. Palm have just chosen not to go down this route, that's all.
    All I want is a functional, Explorer or Finder like file manager. I don't like the lack of file organization tools. I need to plug my Pre via USB in order to organize its contents and then when I open apps that access files they ignore my efforts anyway! For example, I like to change my wallpapers often so I have 6 different folders inside the wallpapers folder for different categories. Whenever I browse them to change a wallpaper they always appear as if they were all available from folders in the root rather than as subfolders from the wallpapers folder.
    Quote Originally Posted by silverthornne View Post
    All I want is a functional, Explorer or Finder like file manager. I don't like the lack of file organization tools. I need to plug my Pre via USB in order to organize its contents and then when I open apps that access files they ignore my efforts anyway! For example, I like to change my wallpapers often so I have 6 different folders inside the wallpapers folder for different categories. Whenever I browse them to change a wallpaper they always appear as if they were all available from folders in the root rather than as subfolders from the wallpapers folder.
    Silverthornne, are you aware of the Internalz file manager? http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...e-manager.html
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    the reason I moved to Pre is because I hate widgets and screen clutters.
    Then why didn't you just delete the widgets off the screen, derrrrrr
    2.0 won't show on the current Pre. Marketing drives the sale of a new device in order to get a real upgrade.....follow the iPhone and Windows based phone philosophy...want more...pay more.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand View Post
    2.0 won't show on the current Pre. Marketing drives the sale of a new device in order to get a real upgrade.....follow the iPhone and Windows based phone philosophy...want more...pay more.
    Doesn't Apple support all iPhone models with OS updates -- even though you might have to pay for the update. That is a nice business model. I would be willing to pay for major updates on the Pre to support ongoing OS updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post

That's too Android. I would like to think the WebOS experience is unique.
    I'd actually like widgets but making them optionally would be fair to everyone. The right widgets could really ebhance the experience for some, however keeping it optional for others would be a must. Android is nice, but most of them lack multitouch, multitasking is not as good, and i m so used to the gestures I'd be lost! Plus I only like the sense ui os for android the origonal one is very generic. And lacks the feel webos gives
    I'm just wondering do the developers have the access to implement search based product like dictionary or ebooks into the Universal Search? It would be sweet if we can actually opt for certain software to be included with Universal Search as we type a word.
    @SqyArc:

Actually, I knew about it, but I had never gotten around to trying it out. Just installed it after reading your post and it works pretty nice. Of course, it isn't opening images when I click to open them, but it's working great with all other file types. Palm should pay the Internalz developer to include that as an OS level application with a future update...
    Quote Originally Posted by silverthornne View Post
    @SqyArc:

Actually, I knew about it, but I had never gotten around to trying it out. Just installed it after reading your post and it works pretty nice. Of course, it isn't opening images when I click to open them, but it's working great with all other file types. Palm should pay the Internalz developer to include that as an OS level application with a future update...
    Yeah, but it would be nice for the pre to display folders within folders, I dont know why it doesn't.
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blaze818 View Post
    i would love to see widgets that you can place on your home screen.
    check out the thread "Anyone miss having a homescreen?"
    I just posted my concept video of a widget backdrop.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I really like the cards. I wish that you "park" highly used apps as cards. That way you could release memory back to system and not have to relanch the app from an icon when you want to use it again. I would then want to be able to show all the cards minimized. I would probably have no more than about 20 cards available.
    I had a dream where you could turn the phone into landscape mode and have 2 cards side by side visible rather than have them turn into a landscape view.

I personally think this would be awesome. To implement, all you would have to do is turn the phone sideways, and the current app would turn into landscape mode.

BUT, if you then took your two fingers and spun them clockwise, the app would turn back to vertical and two vertical cards would appear on the screen.

That way you could see say, your GPS on Google Maps and Sprint Navigator...or something like that.

*edit*
    I envision this with a bigger 4" screen on a new device...the Pre screen is much too small.
    I want 2.0 to have a kitchen
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    I would imagine that the GPU would have to be enabled before we see improvements in the "look" of WebOS. I can't imagine that the GPU wouldn't be enabled by the time 2.0 rolls out, and of course updates to JavaScript, CSS, and the like.
    im pretty sure the gpu was enabled with 1.3.5 cause thats when we got out 3d games. just sayin
    Sanyo basic Flip phone- Moto Krazer- Moto Razer2- Palm Pre
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast