12/14/2009, 04:57 AM
Hi, hundreds of people on this forum will have done this using a similar method, or maybe even went about it differently. All the info on how to 'root' your Pre is on PreCentral and Webos-internals.org but is difficult to find it in one place. I have only had my Pre for a few weeks, installed a few apps and patches but wanted to mod a few icons because I wasn't keen on some of them, but I needed to look at & access the 'root' of my Pre to modify them. After reading up, this is what I did (PS: I'm running a PC with 32bit XP Professional and my Pre is a UK GSM model (on O2) with webos v1.3.1 so some of the software versions you use may need to be different!)
1. On your PC install VirtualBox (I used 3.0.10-54097-Win.exe, newer versions now available!)
2. make sure VirtualBox is not running
3. Install Palm Mojo SDK (use Palm_Mojo_SDK-Win-1.3.1-314-x86.exe .. this is for 32bit XP/Vista - other versions availabe)
4. Unzip novaterm for windows (from novaterm-1.zip) into palm/sdk/bin directory (on PC).
5. On the Pre .. run DevMode app. switch ON then Reset Pre when prompted. Connect Pre to PC via usb. On Pre select 'charge'.
6. On the PC, run novaterm.exe (if this doesn't work, from Command line .. run novacom -t open tty:// )
7. In novaterm, (this is to install Optware), enter these commands (one at a time, wait until commands finish running) ..
[NOTE: replace ** with tt below, see Next steps - WebOS Internals ]
8. Enter a Username and Password
9. Reboot Pre, install Winscp onto PC (use winscp424setup.exe) , then run Winscp, at the Login screen enter .. Your Pre's ip: 192.168.0.4 (here is mine as an example), Port: 222, Username & Password (as above).
10. To enable Permissions (to be able to modify files on the Pre) click on 'SFTP' (on the left & also in the Login screen), and paste this command in the protocol window: "sudo /opt/libexec/sftp-server" (without the quotes). Then in Winscp, use Putty (find icon top left) to unmount filesystem, login & type "sudo mount -o remount,rw /". Press <Return> key.
11. once set up, to use .. check Pre is in DevMode (can be permamently turned ON or OFF), connect usb to pc, enter 'charge only' mode, run Winscp (via PC shortcut link). Browse to files to modify, copy to PC, modify, copy back to Pre.
12. When finished any mods, return the file system back to 'read only' by typing "sudo mount -o remount,ro /" (without the quotes) as described in 10. Disconnect & reboot Pre when finished.
13. Examples of where my icon files & folders are located ..
Contact photos: var/luna/files
Browser Icons: var/luna/data/browser/icons
App icons: var/usr/palm/applications
(also backup database at: var/luna/data/dbdata/palmdatabase.db3)
Virtualbox: Downloads - VirtualBox
Winscp: WinSCP :: Download
Optware setup: Next steps - WebOS Internals
PalmSDK/Novaterm info/downloads: Portal:Accessing Linux - WebOS Internals
(instructions) Getting Started â€“ webOSdev â€“ Palm
DevMode: App available via PreWare on Pre.
PreWare: info at .. http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2040315
Your Pre's IP address: Can be found in your Pre's WiFi Preferences (I'm using my Pre via my PCs wireless router). Or using this .. http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/myip or this .. http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/what-my-ip
I don't think I've missed anything out, I'm no expert .. I'm not even sure what Optware does exactly and I might even have installed something I didn't need, but installing as above worked for me ! Read the instructions in the 'Resources' links carefully. Don't blame me if anything goes wrong. Feel free to add to these instructions or amend/comment on it.
Also, Thanks to everyone who has helped me.