Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've heard a lot of people on her giving enormous praise to Palm for releasing regular updates, and some posters even comment that the device feels amazingly different now than it did on launch day.

Seriously? Do you mind detailing what makes it 'amazingly different'? It was a great device at launch and its still great, but not IMPROVED, as some people claim.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Pre, but I'm not going to make it out to be something it's not. The fact is that Palm has issued regular updates with only inconsequential or minor fixes.

I'd rather get an official update once every 8 months like RIM, but which adds A LOT of features. I mean, an update fixing PROBLEMS that the device already has doesn't really count-- like fixing Exchange when it was supposed to work perfectly OTB.

Granted, small fixes like adding the progress bar to the music player or adding avatars to messaging have been great, but all the major 'gripes' people had about the device on launch day are still there.

Lack of useful apps in the Market. Check. Lack of ability to download things in the browser. Check. No video recording. Check. Bad battery life. Check. No easy way to tether. Check. No true implementation of copy/paste except for text which you just entered. Check. Seriously sluggish in almost every way. Check.

I don't think people can complain toooooo much about this since all these problems were known before-hand, and they bought the device anyway.

However, giving Palm TONS of credit for miraculously making the OS better is ludicrous.

An update that would make a phone feel 'amazingly different' is the jump from Android 1.0 to Android 1.5, which brought TONS of new features. Ditto the jump to BB 5.0. Ditto iPhone 3.0.

These updates all offered a MULTITUDE of NEW FEATURES that were not available prior, not just minor bug fixes which only phone nerds like us would notice.

I think Palm is rapidly approaching the time when they HAVE to deliver a major update, or people will just give up. It happened when Android folks took so long to deliver cupcake. Android momentum has only just recently sped up with the addition of 5 new devices across multiple carriers. When it was just the G1 and MyTouch with no substantive updates, people went so far as to call the platform dead.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    I'm happy with my Pre, I'm happy with the updates Palm has made thus far, I'm looking forward to future improvements. The phone does everything I need it to do.

It took Apple 3 years to release video.. Palm will probably have it within a year. The Apple app catalog took what? A year? Palm had it basically from launch..

If Palm didn't release the phone when they did they would be out of business.. They HAD to release it early and unpolished..

Please define what you would consider a 'major' upgrade. Also, since the phone hasn't even been out 8 months, I'm not sure how you can somehow say you would rather Palm be like RIM. I can't imagine the amount of whining you would be doing if they had not released a single update in the 6 months the phone had been out. I'd be willing to bet my left testicle you would not be posting 'I'm glad Palm is waiting 8 months to release a major update'.

I swear to god these posts make me want to stab myself in the heart with a dull spoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    I'm happy with my Pre, I'm happy with the updates Palm has made thus far, I'm looking forward to future improvements. The phone does everything I need it to do.

It took Apple 3 years to release video.. Palm will probably have it within a year. The Apple app catalog took what? A year? Palm had it basically from launch..

If Palm didn't release the phone when they did they would be out of business.. They HAD to release it early and unpolished..

Please define what you would consider a 'major' upgrade. Also, since the phone hasn't even been out 8 months, I'm not sure how you can somehow say you would rather Palm be like RIM. I can't imagine the amount of whining you would be doing if they had not released a single update in the 6 months the phone had been out. I'd be willing to bet my left testicle you would not be posting 'I'm glad Palm is waiting 8 months to release a major update'.

I swear to god these posts make me want to stab myself in the heart with a dull spoon.
    Or in the eyeball with an un sharpened pencil.

+1

Palm is in a race to save it's life in a market (smartphones) that they once owned. You know that there will be a MAJOR update coming. Just look at the people Palm brought over from AMD. And the OS is open source. Heck, we have all the stuff the phone can do now and Palm has only allowed us to use half the main chips. As far as myself, I can wait. You come here to use alpha and beta programs. You must have purchased the phone knowing that it will be a begining of the future. Seems like everyone wants everything over night these days. Good things come fast. Great thing come in time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    +1

Palm is in a race to save it's life in a market (smartphones) that they once owned. You know that there will be a MAJOR update coming. Just look at the people Palm brought over from AMD. And the OS is open source. Heck, we have all the stuff the phone can do now and Palm has only allowed us to use half the main chips. As far as myself, I can wait. You come here to use alpha and beta programs. You must have purchased the phone knowing that it will be a begining of the future. Seems like everyone wants everything over night these days. Good things come fast. Great thing come in time.
    I couldn't of said it any better.
    Treo 700wx > Treo 755p > Treo 800w > IPhone 3g > Treo Pro > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ali.fazal View Post
    I've heard a lot of people on her giving enormous praise to Palm for releasing regular updates, and some posters even comment that the device feels amazingly different now than it did on launch day.

Seriously? Do you mind detailing what makes it 'amazingly different'? It was a great device at launch and its still great, but not IMPROVED, as some people claim.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Pre, but I'm not going to make it out to be something it's not. The fact is that Palm has issued regular updates with only inconsequential or minor fixes.

I'd rather get an official update once every 8 months like RIM, but which adds A LOT of features. I mean, an update fixing PROBLEMS that the device already has doesn't really count-- like fixing Exchange when it was supposed to work perfectly OTB.

However, giving Palm TONS of credit for miraculously making the OS better is ludicrous.
    How has WebOS improved AT ALL since launch day? Let's see...

From WebOS 1.0.2 through 1.3.1 we have gotten:

• Clock App
    • NFL Mobile Live
    • Emoticons in Messaging
    • Forward Swipe Gesture
    • Integration Wikipedia Mobile with Search
    • Linked In integration with Synergy
    • Search for messages in Email App
    • Download files from a webpage
    • Save images from a webpage
    • Yahoo! integration with Synergy
    • Unique ringtone for message alerts
    • Text forwarding
    • The Playback Slider you graciously mentioned
    • Accessing USB Drive Mode via keyboard
    • YouTube App integrated with the Browser

Notice that the above isn't a list of bug fixes. This list doesn't include the undocumented stuff either. My Pre has become noticeably more IMPROVED since launch day with the above list.

I agree with you that Palm at times get way more credit than they deserve, but to say "that Palm has issued regular updates with only inconsequential or minor fixes" is B*LLCR*P on your part.

Give credit where credit is due.

For Christ's sake, due you realize you were b*tch*n about how the progress to WebOS 1.3 isn't comparable to "the jump from Android 1.0 to Android 1.5 ... Ditto the jump to BB 5.0. Ditto iPhone 3.0."???

How is a 1.3 going to compare to a 1.5, a 3.0, or a 5.0??? IT'S NOT.

You are Master of the Obvious.

That being said, I think WebOS is holding well at 1.3.1.
    Last edited by RafRol; 12/13/2009 at 03:50 AM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    hahaha I agree with all....yall tearin his argument UP!! Lol....sorry Mr. Post man
    Jon Rubinstein commented that they are releasing updates on a web schedule. That is, a succession of small OTA updates. This is one kind of software release cycle, that is typical for consumer web apps, where deployment is trivial and the customer has a certain acceptance of a semi-permanent beta status of apps.

I think the name webOS implies a whole philosophy of doing things. And maybe we have a hard time reconciling it with what we expect. Would we expect more if Google released beta web apps on the Pre or just accept them for what they are? I don't know.

But even if we grant this, Palm hasn't delivered a whole lot. We know it's small, and we also want them to do everything, especially work on the apps problem first (catalog and SDK), and investors and analysts want to see apps and carrier deployments. So something has to give.
    Palm Vx > Treo 650 > Centro > G1 > Pre > BlackBerry 9700
    Another thing they've added in these updates has been more APIs. Original release had no accelerometer support for shaking or raw data, 1.1 brought that. 1.2 brought official download manager support among one or two others, if I'm remembering correctly. 1.3 added the capability for programmers to force the screen to stay on while the app is active.
    Which other phone has the same type of near-immediate support of updates? Which other phone has had this many updates in such little time adding functionality and fixing bugs? Just curious....
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    there was a patch where you could copy and select text from web pages...but after that 1.3 update I think we lost it somehow
  12.    #12  

Wow, I didn't know that in order to own a Pre, you had to love everything about it. Or just keep your mouth shut. That's an enlightened perspective. In fact, I think our government used to call it treason. Wow, thank god you're not a legislator.

My intention wasn't to become persona non grata. Anybody with a lick of sense understands that each device has good points and bad points. I could include a list of all the things I love about the Pre in order to keep you from stabbing yourself with a dull spoon, if you'd like.

I was merely stating that the updates so far have been minimal. And on a forum, I really think the best thing to do is to read carefully and not just mouth off.

So to Crimson, I know it hasn't been 8 months. That's why in my post, which you clearly didn't read all that well, I said that Palm is RAPIDLY APPROACHING the time when they need to deliver a major upgrade. No major update appears to be in the pipeline. When they are in the offing (i.e. scheduled in the next 2-3 months) for other platforms, someone at least has heard about them, created buzz about new features, tried betas (like the iPhone 3.0 and BB 5.0).

To Finally Pre, you really said nothing in your response except that people want everything overnight. Welcome to 2009. In the days of On-Demand television and instant gratification, you're absolutely right, waiting is no longer people's priority. That's why many people move on and leave things that take too long behind. I'm not doubting that Palm will catch up EVENTUALLY, I just think it needs to happen soon so that the recent bad buzz surrounding the platform (contact loss, bad build quality complaints) doesn't culminate into a raging crap-storm where people stop buying the device.

To RafRol, your post proved my point EXACTLY. I love those fixes that Palm has offered, and some of them are ones I utilize daily, however, this is not quite enough to make people sit up and go 'wow'. They're nice features, but ones that should have been included on the device since Day 1. I appreciate them, but the amazing thing about these platforms is that they can incorporate features that were not even in the OFFING when the device launched. I mean, who would have thought that on Day 1 of the iPhone classic launching that there would be over 10,000 apps available a year later. Who would have thought when buying a Blackberry that the crappy messaging app would eventually make way for a sophisticated threaded messaging UI. It's about coming up with BRAND NEW features, not just tweaking/improving the admittedly amazing ones already offered. And BTW, what Pre are you using that has emoticons and the ability to download from the browser?!? Yeah, patches can do a million things, but I'm talking about what PALM has delivered to consumers, not the generous developer community. And I didn't say that 1.3 has to compare to a major upgrade on another platform. But I do think that major upgrade should at least be ON THE HORIZON. I mean, people were excited for Android 1.5 and all the amazing features it was bringing when Android was still on 1.1. Do we know anything about a Major upgrade from Palm, smart guy? An ETA? Any features it might include? Got an answer for that? The difference is that Android was at least up front with the community and told them 'Hey, this update with all these new features is taking us a while, but we know it'll be here in 6 months'. That's better than us wandering around in the dark not knowing when or even if a major upgrade to include video recording, multi-mod in the browser, true copy/paste, etc will even be offered.

And to Achill3s, I don't think that bug-fixing counts, since the bugs shouldn't be there to begin with. It's tremendous that they fix them so quickly, but that's neither here nor there. You can't give someone props for fixing a mistake that was their fault. Well, you can, but you can't include that in your reasoning for why Palm is awesome. And most of the updates have been just that, bug fixes. It's like going to a restaurant and having a waiter spill a drink on you. And then being amazed that he grabs a towel so quickly. It's like 'Thanks for your promptness, but I would have preferred you not spilling on me in the first place'
    Last edited by ali.fazal; 12/13/2009 at 03:06 AM.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Either your Pre is defective, you never text message, or you don't know what an emoticon is. My bet is on the latter.

My Pre can display emoticons and download files WITHOUT the help of patches.

You're not worth arguing with, just read Palm's Software update page.
    Last edited by RafRol; 12/13/2009 at 03:57 AM.
    link not workin
    Are you just looking for someone to tell you your right? Based on the way you have dissected everyone's posts, i think you already have the answers to your questions; Which are rather trivial. An update is an update, and improvement is an improvement. If patience is no longer your priority, then move on. Dont waste time posting questions that you seem to already have the answers to.

I'm on pins and needles awaiting my dissection.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettQ View Post
    Are you just looking for someone to tell you your right? Based on the way you have dissected everyone's posts, i think you already have the answers to your questions; Which are rather trivial. An update is an update, and improvement is an improvement. If patience is no longer your priority, then move on. Dont waste time posting questions that you seem to already have the answers to.

I'm on pins and needles awaiting my dissection.
    Well, here it is: Are you frickin kidding me? Seriously, the only options are 'deal' or 'move on'. On a cell phone forum? Which is generally used for discussion?

And saying 'an update is an update' is worthless. If that were the case, nobody on earth would be unhappy with their smartphones since they all offer updates in some form.

And really, is patience anybody's priority? Maybe yours. Actually you're right, now that I think about it. Waiting for things is the best. I mean, who wants things quickly when it can be long and drawn out! Buckets of fun!

And the reason why I replied to everyone individually is because this is a discussion forum. If people take the time to respond, I take the time to respond back, whether I agree or disagree, thus continuing the discussion. Hope that helps you catch on to what this scary page with all the words on it is meant for: Discussion.

And to RafRol-- you're right! I didn't know you could do that. There's no way to initiate the emoticons (like a menu), but one can insert them the old-fashioned way (put a colon, then a minus sign, then a parenthesis/p/slash etc.). Either way, good to know. Although come on, don't be a five year old. Picking out the most minute error on my part in the post and ignoring all the grievous misstatements that you made that I responded to? Seriously?
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ali.fazal View Post
    And to RafRol-- you're right! I didn't know you could do that. There's no way to initiate the emoticons (like a menu), but one can insert them the old-fashioned way (put a colon, then a minus sign, then a parenthesis/p/slash etc.). Either way, good to know. Although come on, don't be a five year old. Picking out the most minute error on my part in the post and ignoring all the grievous misstatements that you made that I responded to? Seriously?
    Yes. Seriously. You posted this: "And BTW, what Pre are you using that has emoticons and the ability to download from the browser?!?" In BOLD text. You wanted to draw attention and/or emphasize your point.

As far as 'grievous' misstatements, did you check the link in my previous post? I'm assuming you think I misstated something on my first post? And why is it that my supposed misstatements are 'grievous' and your error is 'minute'?
    Last edited by RafRol; 12/13/2009 at 04:20 AM.
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Lets try this Ali.Fazal Style.

Well, here it is: Are you frickin kidding me? Seriously, the only options are 'deal' or 'move on'. On a cell phone forum? Which is generally used for discussion?

Is there a third option? Seems to me that if your unhappy with your phone and its update content, you have two logical choices. Keep the phone, or buy a different one.

And saying 'an update is an update' is worthless. If that were the case, nobody on earth would be unhappy with their smartphones since they all offer updates in some form.

An update, IS and update. All 7 of the Pre's updates have done something to improve WebOS. If the improvements dont suit your needs thats too bad. But hey, i hear that apple, google, and RIM release updates too.

And really, is patience anybody's priority? Maybe yours. Actually you're right, now that I think about it. Waiting for things is the best. I mean, who wants things quickly when it can be long and drawn out! Buckets of fun!

If I really wanted something, I'd be willing to wait for it. Yeah, im patient. Im willing to ride this thing out with palm, and i actually like my phone just how it is. If i see an update has been released, im excited for it. I, however dont expect it to be filled with 'sunshine and puppy dog' goodness.

And the reason why I replied to everyone individually is because this is a discussion forum. If people take the time to respond, I take the time to respond back, whether I agree or disagree, thus continuing the discussion. Hope that helps you catch on to what this scary page with all the words on it is meant for: Discussion.

Your right, this scares me. Its great to reply to others posts, I commend you for that. But berating others posts generally doesnt spark enthusiasm in any discussion.
    I think we can all agree here that we want the updates now and don't want to wait. I for one however would like palm to test it out and make sure there are no bugs in the update. Good things really do come to people that wait, not just on a measly update on a phone that should be used for calling and texting(yes I know the pre can do much more but these are the two basic things to contact people without a smart phone). I just want to throw an example out there. I went to a mercedes benz dealership and they wanted 450 a month for a c class. I waited 2 monyhs and instead I got a clk for 420 a month, this car is about 15 grand more. Moral of the story. Just wait were all eager and want everything right away
    Treo 700wx > Treo 755p > Treo 800w > IPhone 3g > Treo Pro > Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RafRol View Post
    How has WebOS improved AT ALL since launch day? Let's see...

From WebOS 1.0.2 through 1.3.1 we have gotten:

• Clock App
    • NFL Mobile Live
    • Emoticons in Messaging
    • Forward Swipe Gesture
    • Integration Wikipedia Mobile with Search
    • Linked In integration with Synergy
    • Search for messages in Email App
    • Download files from a webpage
    • Save images from a webpage
    • Yahoo! integration with Synergy
    • Unique ringtone for message alerts
    • Text forwarding
    • The Playback Slider you graciously mentioned
    • Accessing USB Drive Mode via keyboard
    • YouTube App integrated with the Browser

Notice that the above isn't a list of bug fixes. This list doesn't include the undocumented stuff either. My Pre has become noticeably more IMPROVED since launch day with the above list.

I agree with you that Palm at times get way more credit than they deserve, but to say "that Palm has issued regular updates with only inconsequential or minor fixes" is B*LLCR*P on your part.

Give credit where credit is due.

For Christ's sake, due you realize you were b*tch*n about how the progress to WebOS 1.3 isn't comparable to "the jump from Android 1.0 to Android 1.5 ... Ditto the jump to BB 5.0. Ditto iPhone 3.0."???

How is a 1.3 going to compare to a 1.5, a 3.0, or a 5.0??? IT'S NOT.

You are Master of the Obvious.

That being said, I think WebOS is holding well at 1.3.1.
    I dont think everyone understands that if a feature isnt presented as below, it isnt a real feature.
    Attached Images Attached Images
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast