Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ali.fazal View Post

I was merely stating that the updates so far have been minimal. And on a forum, I really think the best thing to do is to read carefully and not just mouth off.

To RafRol, your post proved my point EXACTLY. I love those fixes that Palm has offered, and some of them are ones I utilize daily, however, this is not quite enough to make people sit up and go 'wow'.
    It's about coming up with BRAND NEW features, not just tweaking/improving the admittedly amazing ones already offered. And BTW, what Pre are you using that has emoticons and the ability to download from the browser?!?
    Seriously though, this does show that Palm is not doing a good enough job promoting aspects of their phone. If this were presented better, more than 10% of Pre users would be better informed (wonder how many jump ship without knowing improvements are being made). Its not like the creepy girl commercials are helping convey new features with the phone.

Suggestion To Palm:
    On every OS update, hire a couple of marketing folks from a nearby college to record a new features video, and include the video as a run-once webos startup screen. (like they did with the welcome palm video).

If it werent for me checking the forums/changelog, my spouse would have never known about downloading images from web pages.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by zonyl; 12/13/2009 at 07:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    It took Apple 3 years to release video.. Palm will probably have it within a year. The Apple app catalog took what? A year? Palm had it basically from launch..
    Maybe so but other platforms have these features now and I can't imagine why anyone would buy a Pre or a Pixi and wait for features they can have today.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Maybe so but other platforms have these features now and I can't imagine why anyone would buy a Pre or a Pixi and wait for features they can have today.
    Because webos has great features now that other platforms may or may never have.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Another thing they've added in these updates has been more APIs. Original release had no accelerometer support for shaking or raw data, 1.1 brought that.
    Yeah, but we're still limited to a gimped 4Hz sampling rate, which is not really usable for a whole lot. So I don't count those as major improvements.
    The title of the original post is "How has WebOS improved AT ALL since launch day?"

So the improvements that have been presented, don't fall under 'improving at all'? I didn't think 'at all' meant 'earth shattering'. Maybe it's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by ali.fazal View Post
    Lack of ability to download things in the browser. Check.
    Uh, no. You CAN download things in the browser. Including images.

No video recording. Check.
    Yeah, it's coming...

Bad battery life. Check.
    How many other smart phones have 1+ day of battery life?

No easy way to tether. Check.
    That's a Sprint thing. Complain to them.

No true implementation of copy/paste except for text which you just entered. Check.
    Shift+Tap
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Don't fall for it...

@Ali.Fazal...Read MUCH?? http://www.precentral.net/webos-135-...pp-space-limit

@zonyl LMAO at your pics, I will download them both for future use!

And finally... @everyone else, remember...
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    I'm happy with my Pre, I'm happy with the updates Palm has made thus far, I'm looking forward to future improvements. The phone does everything I need it to do.

It took Apple 3 years to release video.. Palm will probably have it within a year. The Apple app catalog took what? A year? Palm had it basically from launch..

If Palm didn't release the phone when they did they would be out of business.. They HAD to release it early and unpolished..

Please define what you would consider a 'major' upgrade. Also, since the phone hasn't even been out 8 months, I'm not sure how you can somehow say you would rather Palm be like RIM. I can't imagine the amount of whining you would be doing if they had not released a single update in the 6 months the phone had been out. I'd be willing to bet my left testicle you would not be posting 'I'm glad Palm is waiting 8 months to release a major update'.

I swear to god these posts make me want to stab myself in the heart with a dull spoon.
    I sometimes wonder if with every hating thread if I could post RIGHT after being a palm ****** and get like 10+ thanks.

Anyway, I do agree with the OP.
    No video recording and other stuff that I really wanted.

It's good to know Palm's there. The minor updates here and there do add up.
    However, the phone still needs major refinement and Palm can't really get there.
    I do think Palm is taking a step in the right direction though with minor improvements every once in a while. It keeps a base of users hoping for more very soon and it allows them to be more user-friendly.

However, not many major changes have been made. Some here and there...
    I most of the time look for major changes with the Pre community. I feel like they are the ones that really go far with their findings/updates.

Edit: And while many people consider this a troll. It can be a good discussion if one wants to compare companies. Would you rather have a company that does small updates couple of weeks or a company that does large updates every 8 months?
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    Because webos has great features now that other platforms may or may never have.
    Like what?
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Like what?
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre-review
    http://www.precentral.net/palm-pre

And as has been said before, the things webos does well, it does better than other platforms.
    And as has been said before, the things webos does well, it does better than other platforms.
    Like what, though? Other than features with proprietary names and UI design choices, I can't find anything in that review that isn't available on other platforms.
    Palm has added some features since the launch, minor or major depends on individual needs and preferences. But most disappointing thing about Pre is that it does not execute basic functions properly. Functions that have been and are available on every phone out there. To begin with, Pre's phone app is a disaster for a phone. What good is a phone if you cannot take 100% of your calls or if you have to wait 5 - 8 secs before being able to start the conversation? For interested parties, no this does not include the dial time and is not a result of bad signal. I live in a area with full reception.

I like Palm's latest innovation on Pre, the Clock app. It is amazing. It takes me to the future and back into the past. Only thing I am struggling with is getting back to reality, to the present. Unlike some people who could only time travel to plus or minus few minutes, I could go back or forward few hours. I wish Palm could stretch it to days with the next update. Now I know why the alarms never go off. I have 10 daily alarms set and but none work, ever. I believe it is because I am never in the present.

I think Palm considers VVM, Video recording, etc to be obsolete features. Why else would they not include these features in Pre/WebOS then? The device/platform which is supposed to save them from total annihilation. Oh wait, Palm is now run by iManagement. I think if the iManagement were to run a restaurant, they would sell you raw vegetables and meat in iRestaurant 1.0 and then a year later, they will give you a iCook update and then next year an iReceipe and finally after 5-10 years you would be able to enjoy your delicious iAppetizers.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Like what, though? Other than features with proprietary names and UI design choices, I can't find anything in that review that isn't available on other platforms.
    You ask for features, I gave you a link and you found features. You even admit you found features but you had to come up with a way to arbitrarily dismiss them to further your own argument? Why dismiss them because they have proprietary names? Other phones may be able to do similar things but in less featured ways and not all on one phone. And why are you trying to downplay the importance of the UI when it's a major reason the iphone sold millions?
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
    I think Palm considers VVM, Video recording, etc to be obsolete features. Why else would they not include these features in Pre/WebOS then? The device/platform which is supposed to save them from total annihilation. Oh wait, Palm is now run by iManagement. I think if the iManagement were to run a restaurant, they would sell you raw vegetables and meat in iRestaurant 1.0 and then a year later, they will give you a iCook update and then next year an iReceipe and finally after 5-10 years you would be able to enjoy your delicious iAppetizers.
    /Facepalm

Why else would they not include them? THINK about it for a second. They were a company about to go under. They made some huge mistakes in deciding too late to develop WebOS. They had to release a phone NOW to avoid going out of business. Its not that they DIDN'T want to include they features. They COULDN'T. They didn't have the resources.

Stop trying to make up stupid reasons for why Palm isn't doing things when the reasons are obvious. WebOS may or may not be what saves them, it may be too late.. But the 'iManagement' team you mock has kept the company alive long enough to at least have a CHANCE.. but sometimes I think with customers like Palm has, who needs enemies?
    /Facepalm

Why else would they not include them? THINK about it for a second. They were a company about to go under. They made some huge mistakes in deciding too late to develop WebOS. They had to release a phone NOW to avoid going out of business. Its not that they DIDN'T want to include they features. They COULDN'T. They didn't have the resources.

Stop trying to make up stupid reasons for why Palm isn't doing things when the reasons are obvious. WebOS may or may not be what saves them, it may be too late.. But the 'iManagement' team you mock has kept the company alive long enough to at least have a CHANCE.. but sometimes I think with customers like Palm has, who needs enemies?
    It does not take eons to implement existing technology. What about the phone and clock app problems I mentioned? I don't care whether Palm survives or not. I am a customer and I paid for their product. You are totally wrong in your assumption that the iManagement team is keeping them alive. No, it's the customers who are buying their products keeping them alive. Do you think they would care if one of their customers went bankrupt? No. Then, why should I care? It is simple give and take. They are here to make money and I am here to spend money. If I don't get what I want or what I paid for then I have every reason to complain. If they cannot fix it then they can return my money and I will stop complaining and move on. Smart or not, it is a phone and I expect it to function as such. Who's reasoning is stupid now?

I am sure I am not being unreasonable by expecting Palm to have fixed the phone and clock app 5-6 months after the launch. Most phones are wiped out of market within the same amount of time these days.
    Last edited by ruffian; 12/13/2009 at 11:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ruffian View Post
    It does not take eons to implement existing technology. What about the phone and clock app problems I mentioned? I don't care whether Palm survives or not. I am a customer and I paid for their product. You are totally wrong in your assumption that the iManagement team is keeping them alive. No, it's the customers who are buying their products keeping them alive. Do you think they would care if one of their customers went bankrupt? No. Then, why should I care? It is simple give and take. They are here to make money and I am here to spend money. If I don't get what I want or what I paid for then I have every reason to complain. If they cannot fix it then they can return my money and I will stop complaining and move on. Smart or not, it is a phone and I expect it to function as such. Who's reasoning is stupid now?

I am sure I am not being unreasonable by expecting Palm to have fixed the phone and clock app 5-6 months after the launch. Most phones are wiped out of market within the same amount of time these days.
    It took apple 3 years to implement video on the iPhone. I guess Apple is a bunch of morons as well in your mind. Have you tried asking Sprint for your money back? What features are not present in the phone that were promised by Palm before you purchased it?
    You ask for features, I gave you a link and you found features. You even admit you found features but you had to come up with a way to arbitrarily dismiss them to further your own argument? Why dismiss them because they have proprietary names? Other phones may be able to do similar things but in less featured ways and not all on one phone. And why are you trying to downplay the importance of the UI when it's a major reason the iphone sold millions?
    I dismiss them because they aren't features that are exclusive to or superior on WebOS -- which was your original claim.

As for the UI, you have to remember what mobile interfaces were like back in 2007. Every device on the market used layers of menus and convoluted icons almost as if they were daring users to figure out how to actually do something. Now that all the leading platforms have some standard of usability, I can't imagine enticing people to buy the Pre on the basis of "ignore the problems with WebOS because the interface is at least as good as everything else."
    It took apple 3 years to implement video on the iPhone. I guess Apple is a bunch of morons as well in your mind. Have you tried asking Sprint for your money back? What features are not present in the phone that were promised by Palm before you purchased it?
    So what your saying is as long as Palm delivers video before 3 years of WebOS being out, then they have been successful? Why would anyone be satisfied with a phone that is adequate in comparison to it's competition? I bought the pre, because it had things the Iphone didn't. Not to mention the Pre came out at the same time the Iphone's 3rd generation was released.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    The title of the original post is "How has WebOS improved AT ALL since launch day?"

So the improvements that have been presented, don't fall under 'improving at all'? I didn't think 'at all' meant 'earth shattering'. Maybe it's just me.
    +1
    THE CHAMP IS HERE!!
    Palm is taking something of an agile approach to WebOS development--release early and often. Frequent, iterative updates. As someone who works in technology, I can tell you that this often (not always, but often) results in a vastly better end product than huge, monolithic releases.

That said, of course they still have a lot to fix, and I don't think anyone would question that. But they're making progress, and at least I feel like they are working on it, as opposed to randomly releasing huge upgrades out of nowhere every 12 months or so.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast