1.    #1  
    Listining to a podcast a few days ago, someone mentioned that Cisco was cash-rich and looking to make some aquisitions in 2010. What would a Cisco aquisition of Palm look like and do you think this is a good match?

It seem like a smartphone would add to Cisco quite well...or am I wrong here?
    it would certainly help in terms of integrating with the business networks...
    it would be sweet if my phone ran OSPF.
    I find this funny, a while ago there was a thread asking who should buy Palm. Everyone was saying Nokia, RIM,etc. I thought either Sun, or Cisco. Sun could integrate the mobile end within their servers, and has the Linux mindset. Cisco, is so integrated into business it is almost hard to notice. It would be great to integrate the business end from within, instead of trying to 'work their way in' from the outside. Not to mention neither company have a mobile presence.
    This concept really doesn't make much sense. Cisco is focused on infrastructure, and only deviates from this on a few, mostly video related, fronts. A cell phone is an end user device and will be treated in the same regard as a PC from Cisco's perspective. Sure it's IP enabled, but it's just a consumer of bandwidth with no significant impact on the creation or transport of data. Considering that, along with the fact that Cisco will have to focus on the development of a consumer platform as well as unrelated applications makes little business sense.

They may (and should) develop applications that run on WebOS (that would make me very happy), but I do not see them having an interest in Palm.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsyeltzin View Post
    This concept really doesn't make much sense. Cisco is focused on infrastructure, and only deviates from this on a few, mostly video related, fronts. A cell phone is an end user device and will be treated in the same regard as a PC from Cisco's perspective. Sure it's IP enabled, but it's just a consumer of bandwidth with no significant impact on the creation or transport of data. Considering that, along with the fact that Cisco will have to focus on the development of a consumer platform as well as unrelated applications makes little business sense.

They may (and should) develop applications that run on WebOS (that would make me very happy), but I do not see them having an interest in Palm.
    Interesting perspective, however the Linksys and Flip acquisitions seem to go against this notion. Those two end-user-product acquisitions are what made me think that Palm "could" be a Cisco target.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Interesting perspective, however the Linksys and Flip acquisitions seem to go against this notion. Those two end-user-product acquisitions are what made me think that Palm "could" be a Cisco target.
    Linksys is consumer oriented infrastructure - you don't play with a wireless router or cable gateway or switch, you install it and use it as a tool. The acquisition of Linksys was Cisco's way to penetrate the consumer and small business market. It also gave Cisco that much more presence in the mind of the consumer. The Flip video camera does seem odd - but Cisco is very big on video and the promotion of video's use on the Internet. I'm not sure if they were after Flip for some technology they invented or perhaps to promote the casual use of video (thus promoting the consumption of bandwidth and the need to upgrade to the latest and greatest infrastructure components).
  8.    #8  
    Hmmm...lookie here...seems that someone was on the ball calling out Cisco back in early December...
    Man, that guy was good...
    Hmmm...lookie here...seems that someone was on the ball calling out Cisco back in early December...
    LOL!

Here, have a beer. You deserved it! Cheers!
    Any other predictions you want to share with us? I could use the winning lottery numbers, if you feel like helping out.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Any other predictions you want to share with us? I could use the winning lottery numbers, if you feel like helping out.
    It was sort of a lucky guess. Back in December I was watching CNBC on the gym treadmill and there was an interview with Cisco's CEO. Basically it came down to that they were seeing potential for big increase and talking about getting into other businesses...plus they bought Flip recently and there was rumors of video confencing being the 'Killer App' for upcoming 4G phones. Just put 2 & 2 together really...
    Personally, I think Cisco might.
    Palm webOS: "There`s a Patch for that"
    I'd be really excited if Cisco did, they're a great company I'm a fan of most of their equipment (less so of their new home routers, but at least they don't die after 6 months like their competition), they could even bring something new and unique to the table of smartphones.
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    I'd be really excited if Cisco did, they're a great company I'm a fan of most of their equipment (less so of their new home routers, but at least they don't die after 6 months like their competition), they could even bring something new and unique to the table of smartphones.
    Their Linksys branded home routers are great hardware, and crappy firmware. As soon as you flash DD-WRT, they're perfect.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltedwire View Post
    I find this funny, a while ago there was a thread asking who should buy Palm. Everyone was saying Nokia, RIM,etc. I thought either Sun, or Cisco. Sun could integrate the mobile end within their servers, and has the Linux mindset. Cisco, is so integrated into business it is almost hard to notice. It would be great to integrate the business end from within, instead of trying to 'work their way in' from the outside. Not to mention neither company have a mobile presence.
    you do know sun is gone, right? They are part of oracle now.

but with sun we would already have webos 4 (1.4.x)
    I'm more in favor of Cisco than I am HTC.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    HORRIBLE idea. Linksys was an AMAZING company. Their hardware was phenomenal and software as well - you got a LOT more than ANY other company was offering residential customers. Then Cisco bought them. The hardware, software, support all went down the drain. Now they're just as crappy as everyone else. The only thing that's made my linksys router usable is dd-wrt. Before that, linksys' last three firmware upgrades (to a "top of the line" router) failed to fix it completely losing connection to the internet every 3 weeks (required a restart to fix this). Since putting on dd-wrt 3 months ago? ZERO problems.

For a company (Palm) with hardware and software issues alread, the last thing they need is Cisco getting their hands on it.
    I made a similar prediction in February:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2250194