1.    #1  
    I am trying to see if Live Http Streaming Protocol is supported by the WebOS system. The folks at Air Video (an iPhone App) says it doesn't and to port their app it would require a lot of extra work. Does anyone have any insight?
    Well there is no "live HTTP streaming protocol". There are a lot of different container formats and stream formats that go over HTTP.

So to try and answer your question... yes, the Pre does support streaming over HTTP, but I believe only in MP3 (audio) and MP4 (video) formats. It appears that Air Video uses a different format, which is apparently unsupported by Palm. It wouldn't be hard for Air Video to support the Pre... both the Pre and iPhone support MP4 streaming AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
  3.    #3  
    The Administrator from Air Video said that:

"The biggest problem with MP4 is that it's totally unsuitable for live conversion. Air Video uses mp4 streaming only for files that are already converted."
    Palm Pre (WebOS) Needs This!

What could be done to get around this?
    I wonder what format they do use. The Pre also supports RTSP. Perhaps they will be more supportive of that format?
    Treo 300 > Hitachi G1000 > PPC-6700 > PPC-6800 (Mogul) > PPC-6850 (Touch Pro) > Palm Pre & HTC EVO Optimus V
  5.    #5  
    Isn't RTSP just a remote? What about RTP, is Palm Pre supportive of that? Also since WebOS is based on linux couldn't a samba setup be used for streaming? I was actually able to homebrew a wii with this setup and it worked decent streaming media from my PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by dallashigh View Post
    I wonder what format they do use. The Pre also supports RTSP. Perhaps they will be more supportive of that format?
    Perhaps this one?
    AppleInsider | Apple launches HTTP Live Streaming standard in iPhone 3.0
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Quote Originally Posted by palmdoc2005 View Post
    Wow. I had no idea about that. "HTTP Live Streaming" is a pretty ambiguous name. It sounds more like a general category than a specific technology.

Regardless of semantics, if this is an Apple technology, I wouldn't expect Palm to start supporting it anytime soon.

There are other services that provide the same functionality though. I believe Orb is working on the Pre, though it may require Classic? Do a search if you're interested.
  8.    #8  
    Orb is a joke and I hope they never come to WebOS.
    Personally, I would consider a product that only works with one protocol, supported by one mobile OS by one manufacturer to be the joke when compared to a multi-platform, multi-format solution, but that's JMO.