1. ldj
    Global Posts
    264 Global Posts
    Not sure how widespread it was, but this morning I had an email from Palm regarding the SDK and development program, inviting me to take a quick ten minute survey to give my feedback on the status of the SDK, what we want going forward and the PDN development process in question.
    Some interesting questions asked, including:

> What do you displike about WebOS as it stands
    > What new development tools would you like to see
    > What do we want in future itterations of the SDK
    > Would you be interested in usign Java, C etc. or just stick to Web Only
    > What API's would you like access to
    > What would you do with access to these new API's

Firstly I think every dev invited should get on and complete this. We bemoan the lack of functionality in the SDK, but this is our opportunity to be heard.
    Also think its great that Palm is reaching out to the developers asking what they want and giving us the opportunity to shape the SDK and WebOS as a platform going forward.

Needless to say I mentioned the usual suspects (lack of API's, poor access to much of the device, poor PIM management, poor PIM interaction in the SDK, GPU access, poor service support etc. etc).
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Reactive instead of proactive. That is where they will fail.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UF15 View Post
    Reactive instead of proactive. That is where they will fail.
    Its called focus groups and every manufacturer (innovator) does them, even google and (dare I say) apple
    Palm really is listening!
    No they are not listening.
    you gave them 5 days to respond to a request noone else seems to care about. Palm dosent need to cater to 1 whiney guy with an attitude and an apperant lack of patience.

Quote Originally Posted by debilater View Post
    [url= they are not listening[/url].
    So you palm people could at least response with "Nope, we won't do that, go to hell, man!" instead of just ignoring the feature request. That's so annoying. You will not be successful with your webOS if you upset developers like that!.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrloserpunk View Post
    you gave them 5 days to respond to a request noone else seems to care about. Palm dosent need to cater to 1 whiney guy with an attitude and an apperant lack of patience.
    Don't mean to be picky here, However since he posted on a Saturday he really only gave them 4 days to do something about a request he posted on an internet forum for feedback about the webOSdev PORTAL itself, not the actual device.

clearly this is somehow the fault of palm

debilator: I think you posted in an incorrect forum there, you posted in one meant more for site feedback. this is the one you may want to try

https://developer.palm.com/distribut...forum.php?f=53

also, as far as what the forum is supposed to offer I would suggest perusing this thread, as palm is clearly listening, but outlining where and what the forum is for

https://developer.palm.com/distribut...hp?f=53&t=3459

to quote Chuq, (click the link as this is only a small excerpt, and you could draw incorrect conclusions if you take it out of context.)

Part of the problem is expectations. This is a board designed for the community to support each other; there's no paid technical support or guaranteed responses to things. I can't force the community to answer questions; it's not JUST a failing of Palm, since this is about everyone helping everyone.

That said, we do have two support engineers who spend almost all of their time answering developer questions; they are pretty much maxed out, which is one reason why we lean on the community to help each other here. I try to identify issues that the community CAN'T answer and focus their time on that, but it's an imperfect science (obviously).
    Last edited by windzilla; 12/10/2009 at 10:35 AM.
    There are four lights.
    Quote Originally Posted by windzilla View Post
    debilator: I think you posted in an incorrect forum there, you posted in one meant more for site feedback. this is the one you may want to try
    https://developer.palm.com/distribut...forum.php?f=53
    Thanks, I obviously didn't see that, so I'll repost (or move if possible) there.

- debilater

(need some tissue to clean all those tears away...)