Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

Makes me a little sad that we're never going to get this for our phones.
    Why are there two threads dedicated to this?
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I dunno, I only hit submit once.
    I imagine Google would like to keep that on their own creation, but somewhere down the line I'm sure the Pre will get an augmented reality app. At this rate maybe June '10.
    Yes I would also love this, but either way glad to see Google innovating and yes I also agree they want as many cell phones using this technology sooner or later. Linking is all about sales and it will come sooner then later.

Sorli...
    Google wants to collect data about our habits and activities that is how they make money. They will definitely bring this technology to other platforms so they can make more money.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by K4p741nkrunch View Post
    I imagine Google would like to keep that on their own creation, but somewhere down the line I'm sure the Pre will get an augmented reality app. At this rate maybe June '10.
    Not a chance. The existing Pre hardware lacks a compass.
    Things like this (augmented reality applications) are why I will be running an Android phone when I get my upgrade credit in June.

The Pre is amazing. It is customizable with patches, open source, has the best UI of any smartphone IMO, and has a good community behind it. What it doesn't have is Google's innovations behind it, which is one of the main reasons that smartphones are as useful as they are now (email, maps, search, contact sync, voice search, Google Voice, Latitude, news, etc.). I am a major techy and it hurts to make do with a bad hacked version of Maps made by Palm with no extras at all, and no other Google tools like Sky view, latitude, Goggles, etc.

If Pre's development and market share reaches the point where Google apps are made by either Google, Palm, or the community then I may see what the Pre2 offers, but right now a Google phone seems like the most useful thing you can own today.
    google won't even get our maps right, so I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Indeed the compass/augmented reality aspect is impossible due to the lack of the compass. However, the take a photo to search aspect might be possible, but of course I imagine developers don't have access to the camera (just like they don't have access to the microphone - no shazam).
    If it's got a web service front end, and you can send a picture to it, seems like you would be able to send a picture from the Pre pretty easily. I have no idea whether Goggles works that way or not, but it seems that it wouldn't be too hard to develop a webOS app if Goggles is an open service.

I would also add that wrt augmented reality, I think it would be theoretically possible to integrate with Google maps street view and compare a picture from the Pre with what street view has for that intersection to figure out what you're looking at. This would require either requests to a server somewhere (which would be a little slow) or some number crunching on the Pre (which would require native code). But I think it's theoretically possible (speaking as someone who knows a little bit about computer vision applications).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer