Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Hi I just received my Google Voice invite from Google and have a question.

There are 2 options to choose from:
    1) use with your existing phone number
    2) choose a new google voice number.

Is it better to choose the new google number and forward your current phone number to the new number (since Sprint no longer charges for call forwarding) --or-- use with your existing phone number.

I'm not sure about what the difference is between them. Is it more advantageous for one option vs the other?

TIA
    I chose option 1.

Getting a separate Google Voice number is really designed for having one number that you can hand out to everybody that rings you simultaneously on all phone numbers you give Google Voice (your home, work, cell, etc.). Hence, to receive the full benefit of option 2 you'll need to set up Google Voice to call your home, cell, etc. numbers-- then hand out your Google Voice number to friends and family as the new phone number that they are to use to reach you from now on.

If you just want to set up your Pre to have Google Voice voicemail, and want all of your friends to continue to call you using your current cell number, select the first option.
    Follow me on Twitter! I'm simply WebOSFan there.
    I think he means choose option 2.

Using an existing phone number grants you basically only Voicemail through Google Voice, which is nice, but most of the features can only be accessed by creating a new number.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    If you don't mind changing your primary number to a new Google Voice number, than that is the best option to get the most out of Google Voice. If you use your existing number, than all you get are the voice mail features.
    Alex,

All of Google Voice's features can be accessed with either choice. I chose to go with option 1 this past weekend, since I didn't want to start handing out a new phone number to friends and family.

When calling in to check my voicemail, one of the menu options that Google Voice presented me with was the ability to make a phone call (rather wierd, if you ask me, but whatever...). I don't really see the advantage of calling my Google Voice voicemail number just to call out to another number, but it looks like it could be done.

As far as I can tell, the main difference between option 1 and option 2 is that option 2 provides you with a phone number that can call hunt, etc. for you automatically based upon preferences and phone numbers you set up within Google Voice. If the primary concern is ease of setup, not giving out a new phone number to friends/relatives, and having using Google's voicemail system, then option 1 is best. If you want the advanced call hunt, etc. capabilities of Google Voice, then by all means option 2 is the best route. It really depends upon whether the OP wants to hand out a new phone number to friends and family for contacting him/her.

(BTW, I set up a full Google Voice number on another Google account of mine and have been playing with it for about a week. The capabilities are awesome and I'd switch over to using it for everything in a heartbeat if my VOIP provider's control panel wasn't as full-featured and good as it is. I'd heartily recommend Google Voice to anyone using a non-VOIP phone provider for land lines, like Verizon-- it's the only way you'll get anything close to full control over your phone line.)
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Yup, you're all right. With option 1, you only get voicemail.
    With option 2 you have access to a lot more features like call blocking, group texting, call recording, call screening, etc...

Is it possible to select option 2, and still maintain your own phone number by having people call your number and forwarding it to the google voice number and still get the options available for the new google number?
    Do you mean setting up your own separate Google Voice number, but having your friends and family still call you on your existing cell phone number?

If that's the case, then I believe you can. Set up voicemail, etc. in Google Voice, validate your cell phone number with the system, then tell Google Voice to provide voicemail services for your cell phone. After that's done, set up conditional call forwarding to your Google Voice number from your Sprint phone (dial *28xxxxxxxxxx, where x represents the digits of your Google Voice number). After you've done that, I believe you should be ready to go.

All, please feel free to correct if I've left anything out.
    One other note that may be of interest as well... Once you have everything set up, you might want to check out gDial Pro and/or Visual Voicemail (IIRC, both apps are available via homebrew). They really help you make the most of Google Voice from your Pre.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan007 View Post
    Do you mean setting up your own separate Google Voice number, but having your friends and family still call you on your existing cell phone number?

If that's the case, then I believe you can. Set up voicemail, etc. in Google Voice, validate your cell phone number with the system, then tell Google Voice to provide voicemail services for your cell phone. After that's done, set up conditional call forwarding to your Google Voice number from your Sprint phone (dial *28xxxxxxxxxx, where x represents the digits of your Google Voice number). After you've done that, I believe you should be ready to go.

All, please feel free to correct if I've left anything out.
    It looks like this is the way to go... along with gDial Pro....

Thanks for all of your information and the prompt reponses....
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan007 View Post
    Alex,

All of Google Voice's features can be accessed with either choice. I chose to go with option 1 this past weekend, since I didn't want to start handing out a new phone number to friends and family.

When calling in to check my voicemail, one of the menu options that Google Voice presented me with was the ability to make a phone call (rather wierd, if you ask me, but whatever...). I don't really see the advantage of calling my Google Voice voicemail number just to call out to another number, but it looks like it could be done.

As far as I can tell, the main difference between option 1 and option 2 is that option 2 provides you with a phone number that can call hunt, etc. for you automatically based upon preferences and phone numbers you set up within Google Voice. If the primary concern is ease of setup, not giving out a new phone number to friends/relatives, and having using Google's voicemail system, then option 1 is best. If you want the advanced call hunt, etc. capabilities of Google Voice, then by all means option 2 is the best route. It really depends upon whether the OP wants to hand out a new phone number to friends and family for contacting him/her.

(BTW, I set up a full Google Voice number on another Google account of mine and have been playing with it for about a week. The capabilities are awesome and I'd switch over to using it for everything in a heartbeat if my VOIP provider's control panel wasn't as full-featured and good as it is. I'd heartily recommend Google Voice to anyone using a non-VOIP phone provider for land lines, like Verizon-- it's the only way you'll get anything close to full control over your phone line.)
    I apologize your comments made it seem like you were for a new number, while not so much the first.

But from what I found the most useful feature was being able to receive calls from any phone you may own, which last I heard is only viable if you create a new number. The biggest downfall of Voice is getting a new number and making calls from your phone will not use your gvoice number unless you call to your Google Voice number first. Which wouldn't be that bad if there was an API of some sort to accomplish this, but currently you have to dial it, then wait, put in your passcode, then dial who you want to talk to. Even with the gDial and like apps it's a little much.
    Global Posts
    977 Global Posts
    Not mentions is that if you request a new number, and you give that number out to someone you regret doing so, you can log into your google voice and black that number. If they ever call you again, they get a message that your number has been disconnected.
    In my opinon, it's best to setup option 2. You get all the features and you can still use your existing cellphone#. Also if you select option1 and then you want option2 later, you're out of luck (for right now)
    "Music is well said to be the speech of angels." - Thomas Carlyle