Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I have been reading about all the cool patches that people have on their phones. Things like changing the battery indicator to show % and changing the the menus to show 4x4 and the such. My question is why can't this stuff be bundled up and sold as an app. I know it seems weird since it is available for free, but people like myself are afraid of trying to do these mods. If they were in the app catalog, I would buy it.
    So, the obvious difference is they aren't nearly the same thing.

Basically a patch changes the features of some aspect of thhe phone, because all WebOS apps are simple Javascript files this is very simple.

An App is a divided, secure, collection of javascript files which can only interact with the phone through calls into the Mojo SDK. It just so happens apps can't change other apps because this would be a huge security risk, imagine running an app you got from a third party app store, and all of a sudden you have adds in every other app?. Patches work around this because of the phone's Linux base.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    Although what you wrote makes little sense to me, I got out of it that it can't be done. Thanks for the reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by duratime View Post
    Although what you wrote makes little sense to me, I got out of it that it can't be done. Thanks for the reply.
    It's not that it can't be done, it's more that Palm wouldn't allow it in the App Catalog. Try this ...

The code that a patch is changing is part of the WebOS system that comes with the Pre. That code is written and owned by Palm, and the patch is actually changing part of the OS (or system apps). Although Palm hasn't actively discouraged people from doing this, it's *highly* unlikely that they would permit an app in the App Catalog that does this. They've already rejected apps for using undocumented features, and this is way "worse" than that IMO.
  5. xtn
    Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    An app is a progam of its own. A patch is a change made to webOS.

You could make an app that does the patching for you, but Palm would never put it in their app catalog.

That is essentially what Preware is; an app that lets you put whatever patches you want onto the phone. It does even more than that too.

xtn
    Just stinks that you need to remove patches before updates...
    Quote Originally Posted by torourke View Post
    Just stinks that you need to remove patches before updates...
    Can't be helped, they potentially modify the same thing or depend/expect something to not be patched.

As long as you remove the Theme, running the Emergency Patch Removal is pretty simple and makes it easy.
    Global Posts
    188 Global Posts
    I finally got the guts to start using the patches (using Web-os and preware), after about an hour of reading through the directions provided by this site, I was able to get it done, and I'm enjoying the results. I'm a little nervous about what to do when there is an update, but I guess I will just have to read some more to figure that out. Thanks to all those have answered my questions on this post.