1.    #1  
    So I was actively participating in a thread that was closed a few days ago from getting too heated over how much faster/better our phones would be if the GPU were enabled.

I had guesstimated that the GPU could manage around 3-5% of its max processes for what the CPU takes around 40% to do. That was a random guess that I pulled out of my rear based on a bit of experience and a hint of common sense.

Turns out that the CPU will jump from around 20% at idle to around 80+% when you're simply scrolling on a webpage (let's just say Engadget) in landscape view... and yes, this is after the webpage had already "rendered". THAT'S A SIXTY PERCENT JUMP!!

I had also guesstimated that there was no bigger battery drain than scrolling on a webpage. Well, I was ALMOST right. It's the second biggest drain. The BIGGEST drain is scrolling in the contacts app. Scrolling in the contacts app gets a minimum of 90% CPU usage. I got it up to 96% without even trying. And, yes... once again, this is after all the contacts have "rendered". Scrolling before they've rendered wouldn't be very fair now would it?

So... if the system were actually designed to the use the GPU [like it should've been], the CPU would stay far closer to the idle avg of 20% than jump an extra 76% only from scrolling in the contacts app or an extra 60% just from scrolling in the web browser. There's more scrolling in webOS than most realize.

In my usage, the battery life would be AT LEAST an extra 50% longer from all the browser flicking I normally do. I have the Browser Multi-Mod patch, which saves a ton of battery by turning the spacebar/period keys into page up/down keys. HIGHLY recommended.

There's some more tests I started running, but things got interrupted when I realized that the smartreflex patches were actually causing my phone to freeze. With all radios off, that patch actually got battery drain down to around 0.3% per hour -vs- the stock battery drain of around 1.5% per hour. Hopefully I'll get around to testing the two other patches, which are both frequency scaling hacks (as opposed to the smartreflex's voltage scaling method). Staying stock is prolly the way to go for most, since the only real benefit is cutting webpage rendering times in 2/3rds.

But wow... 96% in the contacts app. That's amazing.
    Good info. I, too, am eagerly awaiting the enabling of GPU. I think it will solve alot of people's complaints. However, I really love my Pre and am willing to be patient while palm works things out. BTW, feel really dumb, but didn't realize until earlier today that one of the things Multi-Mod did was enable those two keys. I installed it for other reasons. :embarrassed:
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    I had guesstimated that the GPU could manage around 3-5% of its max processes for what the CPU takes around 40% to do. That was a random guess that I pulled out of my rear based on a bit of experience and a hint of common sense.
    Wow! Some very sound theory and scientific test methods at work here!
  4.    #4  
    You're right. I was far too conservative in my guesstimations. But then again, I was coming up with an AVERAGE of processes "wasted" in the CPU, which prolly *would* be around 40%.

A hypothesis can come from nowhere else than your rear end.

The test results prove that the CPU is being taxed like crazy. A 76% jump is unreal. Seriously.... you can verify the results yourself if you'd like.

I challenge you to let all your contacts in the contact list load.... and then see if you can get anything LESS than a 70% increase in CPU usage.
    well at that rate the chips life expectancy must really be cut to nothing, lets hope it dies before the 1 yr manufacture warranty runs out!
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm View Post
    You're right. I was far too conservative in my guesstimations. But then again, I was coming up with an AVERAGE of processes "wasted" in the CPU, which prolly *would* be around 40%.

A hypothesis can come from nowhere else than your rear end.

The test results prove that the CPU is being taxed like crazy. A 76% jump is unreal. Seriously.... you can verify the results yourself if you'd like.

I challenge you to let all your contacts in the contact list load.... and then see if you can get anything LESS than a 70% increase in CPU usage.
    You are out of your mind if you think that 40% of the current cpu cycles are being "wasted" and will be processed by the GPU when it is enabled. Even more so if you think that is a conservative number...

If that is indeed what you were attempting to state.
    CPU cycles aren't necessarily being wasted in that insufficient computation is being done, it is just that the GPU will be more efficient at things like scrolling, google maps, image rendering, etc.

grndslm what are you using to measure CPU utilization, Terminal?
    It doesn't really matter if it's using 90% CPU for a couple of seconds, if it spends the other 95% of the time idle. The savings you'd get from using the GPU are probably minor compared to other things.

How much of the CPU do you think Javascript uses? That's something that won't go away by using the GPU.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanvbva View Post
    You are out of your mind if you think that 40% of the current cpu cycles are being "wasted" and will be processed by the GPU when it is enabled.
    If you say so.

76% jump in scrolling thru the Contacts list = AT LEAST 40% saving in CPU cycles during the same amount of time that the GPU is using like 3-5% and the CPU is using something similar, perhaps 5-8%.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestrider View Post
    CPU cycles aren't necessarily being wasted in that insufficient computation is being done, it is just that the GPU will be more efficient at things like scrolling, google maps, image rendering, etc.

grndslm what are you using to measure CPU utilization, Terminal?
    Yes, Terminal. Everything jumps to 70+% tho. No matter what you do, if the screen is on... you're using something like ~30% or ~40% processes more than you would if the GPU were enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by greenoyster View Post
    It doesn't really matter if it's using 90% CPU for a couple of seconds, if it spends the other 95% of the time idle. The savings you'd get from using the GPU are probably minor compared to other things.

How much of the CPU do you think Javascript uses? That's something that won't go away by using the GPU.
    Javascript is a pig. But when you realize how much processes the graphical scrolling and flicking and advanced gesture swiping and all that takes up... you will get A LOT more than you think.

And it's not IDLE 95% of the time. You scroll all the time. You scroll in a webpage... that's ACTIVE! Scrolling in landscape mode is more intensive than scrolling in portrait. Even scrolling with the pg up/down buttons I talked about earlier in the Browser Multi-Mod patch *still* use ~8% max cpu cycles. Better than 70-85%, tho!!!

Scrolling in launcher pages... Scrolling in Contacts list... Scrolling in music lists... Scrolling in Preware lists... Scrolling in App Catalog lists... Scrolling drop-down Date/Time/Status menus... Scrolling cards in advanced view, basic view, and "minimalized" view... Scrolling photos from left to right... Scrolling this and that!!!

And the camera/camcorder would be helped out from the GPU too.

Don't kid yourselves.
  11.    #11  
    Still, I must say... what the Pre does without the GPU is amazing.

But what it could do would be profound.
    I have to say I agree with all your points. I can have the screen just on, no cards open, doing nothing but checking the battery every few minutes, and to see it drop so quick disgusts me sometimes, LOL.