1.    #1  
    Does anybody know about plans to merge the different App Catalogues? To have them all show the same content? Right now mine shows 64 entries (I'm in Germany, Provider O2)? And the US Version shows some 400?

This makes me wonder, why should any professional Non-US developer create new applications for the App Catalog right now? e.g. Apple attracts developers worldwide with success stories about them getting fame and money for their apps - I don't see this happening with Palm right now.

I do like the device itself, but the software feels like version 1.0 - a lot of features are missing and many things just don't feel right. However, no issue that could not be addressed by an update or an new application.

But I don't understand Palms strategy with the App Catalog. It feels a little bit old-fashioned. Software development is again completely up to the community in their completely seperated homebrew environment. (e.g. I never heard of any iPhone user getting an app from something different than the AppStore).

The App Catalog right now is only an additional, preinstalled distribution system with scattered content. Honestly, I don't think such a system can ever be a threat to Apples App Store at all.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Hope.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I think it's important to realize that webOS is only five months old. The iPhone was webapp-only a full year into its existence. Only after a year did Apple come out with an App Store.

Also, jailbreaking is an extremely common occurrence for iPhone owners. It's another gateway for getting apps on the device. If you've never heard of this, a lot of your points go out the window real fast.

We'll see where Palm is this coming June. The Pre (and ostensibly webOS) will have been out for a full year, and I'm willing to wager that a whole slew of things will be a lot different (and better) than they are now.
    Global Posts
    1,008 Global Posts
    Until Palm releases a more robust SDK, the distribution side of the issue doesn't really matter. I don't see them even coming close to competing with the App Store given the current limitations in the SDK.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    Until Palm releases a more robust SDK, the distribution side of the issue doesn't really matter. I don't see them even coming close to competing with the App Store given the current limitations in the SDK.
    I think we get the point already, you don't like the SDK.
    Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    100% correct. There won't be anything worth having in the app catalog with the current POS SDK anyway.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by yetdog View Post
    I think it's important to realize that webOS is only five months old. The iPhone was webapp-only a full year into its existence. Only after a year did Apple come out with an App Store.
    Well, I don't think this comparison is quite valid. On the one hand AppStore is already there and if a company launches a similar service it has to be able to compete. (e.g. company A builds a good car, company B builds a car and promises to make it as good as the one from company A - would you buy from company B?)
    On the other hand Palm is not the newcomer an the market with mobile devices therefore they should even be in a better position.

Also, jailbreaking is an extremely common occurrence for iPhone owners. It's another gateway for getting apps on the device. If you've never heard of this, a lot of your points go out the window real fast.
    As I understand jailbreaking an iPhone refers to making it possible to install apps that did not come from the AppStore. You do this because you want some additional apps that are not approved by Apple. But the ordinary user does not need to do it.
    Well, Palm and AppCatalog work just the other way round for me. To get some useful application I have to "jailbreak" my Pre. (switch to dev mode by using some obscure search phrase, install some Java Application ...)

We'll see where Palm is this coming June. The Pre (and ostensibly webOS) will have been out for a full year, and I'm willing to wager that a whole slew of things will be a lot different (and better) than they are now.
    I really hope this too. Although another six month is a lot of time. Especially in this market. Don't get me wrong here. I understand the Pre is a new product and it still has some issues and so on. Being a professional software developer myself I understand it can take month and years to bring a system to a "grown up" state.

But what I don't understand is Palms strategy behind the App Catalog. To get my Pre I had to sign a two years contract and buy the device for 481 Euros ($719). And now I'm not able to get the same free apps from the App Catalog you are using for your $399? That does not make sense and does not generate happy customers.

I mean why open up an App Catalog when you are not able to deliver? Is this only a temporary state or did they do this on purpose? Whats the roadmap for the AppCatalog? Is Palm following a plan here or just giving the customer the feature "AppStore" to help selling the Palm devices right now?
  8. jmf
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    I've yet to see any app that expands the versatility of the Palm Pre. Not even a spell check, although the weather is good. There was one app I tried to buy but no charge cards (e.g. Amex) allowed. I don't use credit cards and I will not expose my checking account to a debit card, so no stinking software for me.

jmf
    Global Posts
    339 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf View Post
    There was one app I tried to buy but no charge cards (e.g. Amex) allowed. I don't use credit cards and I will not expose my checking account to a debit card, so no stinking software for me.

jmf

I havent tried buying an app yet. I think I saw one that sounded interesting enough to me to purchase, but I too dont use credit cards. I wish we could charge them to our Sprint Bill.
  10. jmf
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post
    I havent tried buying an app yet. I think I saw one that sounded interesting enough to me to purchase, but I too dont use credit cards. I wish we could charge them to our Sprint Bill.
    I actually assumed that's how it worked, but to find that the app cart only accepted credit cards, and then limited to visa and mastercard was disappointing and makes it an unfriendly place. Why not have a Google checkout option?

jmf
    Quote Originally Posted by jmf View Post
    I've yet to see any app that expands the versatility of the Palm Pre.
    Really?!? There's numerous apps that add a lot of versatility... in fact, without those apps, I wouldn't have bought the Pre. SplashID or equivalent is hugely valuable... can't function without such. A good scientific RPN calculator is very helpful for this engineer... use it all the time. Missing Sync is huge for me. GetMeVino and OpenTable are used once or twice a week. I could go on.

As for credit cards... I'm sure that's not the first site you've been shut out of by having a strict no credit card rule. BUT, I will agree that a "stick it on my Sprint bill" would be a really nice option. I'm sure Sprint would want a cut though... and with $0.99 and $1.49 apps, that might be tough.
    Palm Pilot > Palm Vx > Treo 600 > Treo 700p > Pre
    ENOUGH!
    When are they going have some serious apps? enough with the "locate a business" apps, or all the "word/puzzle games" games. Please release something we can use in the business world.... any word on that??? any????
    Quote Originally Posted by ras132 View Post
    ENOUGH!
    When are they going have some serious apps? enough with the "locate a business" apps, or all the "word/puzzle games" games. Please release something we can use in the business world.... any word on that??? any????
    Out of curiosity, what "business world" app is it that you feel like you're missing? (Besides maybe DocsToGo, which we know is coming).
    Palm just seems scattered and confused, releasing a device with an App Store that doesn't support the markets that it's available in. When I tried to purchase an app I couldn't since I can't put my location into their system (yet Sprint has been providing service to us in PRPRPR $for$ $many$ $years$ - $Palm$ $never$ $considered$ $that$).

I'm now worried that Docs to Go gets distributed via the App Store. I use that on my Treo all the time and I'll be very disppointed if I can't buy it for my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsnum4 View Post
    I mean, seriously??

Steps for Credit card access for Tin-foilers:

1. Go outside (yes, must leave the house).
    2. Drive to Bank Branch (take whatever obscure route pleases your fancy).
    3. Go in bank and talk to teller.
    4. Ask for Prepaid Visa\Master Card in amount you desire.
    5. Leave bank and return home (different route).
    6. Order all the widely available goods & services available from the internet for the past 20 years using said prepaid card.
    7. Replace tin foil rolls as needed.
    8. Reload card balance and repeat.